It's getting hot out there
Pat
2007-06-27 14:16:19 UTC
Wow, it's getting hot out. Supposed to be near 90' again today, then
a cool front should be coming along and taking back down into the
reasonableness of the 70s. I'm wondering if I should go find my AC
and put it in the window for one day. Yeah, probably, 2 more months
after this where I might need it once in a while. I hate living in an
AC world.....
Michael Bulatovich
2007-06-27 14:47:51 UTC
Post by Pat
Wow, it's getting hot out. Supposed to be near 90' again today, then
a cool front should be coming along and taking back down into the
reasonableness of the 70s. I'm wondering if I should go find my AC
and put it in the window for one day. Yeah, probably, 2 more months
after this where I might need it once in a while. I hate living in an
AC world.....
Yeah. You wait all winter to be able to open the windows. My subterranean
headquarters is pretty cool, but this morning I had to plug in my personal
fan. Since the "Big Blackout"
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2003_North_America_blackout), we listen to the
news for peak consumption reports as well as weather and air quality, and
they want us to keep it down today between 12 and 8 pm. I might just walk
down to the public pool, paid for by money stolen by the usual jackbooted
thugs, for the adult swim.
--
MichaelB
www.michaelbulatovich.ca
Pat
2007-06-27 15:26:33 UTC
Post by Michael Bulatovich
Post by Pat
[...]
Public pool? ha ha ha. Not in this town. But I've got an antique
above-ground in the back yard. :-) Plus there's the state park if
I want to go swim in the lake.
Don
2007-06-27 16:20:14 UTC
Post by Pat
Post by Michael Bulatovich
Post by Pat
[...]
No kiddin'.
Ain't no way in hell I'd get in one of them human soup containers full of
public 'who knows what'.
Jeezis, what an act of desperation.
My wife wants to get one of them 15'x30' above ground deals installed for
about $5k.
Then I get to build the raised deck around it.........
3D Peruna
2007-06-27 16:18:33 UTC
Post by Pat
Wow, it's getting hot out. Supposed to be near 90' again today, then
a cool front should be coming along and taking back down into the
reasonableness of the 70s. I'm wondering if I should go find my AC
and put it in the window for one day. Yeah, probably, 2 more months
after this where I might need it once in a while. I hate living in an
AC world.....
high 80's and humid yesterday.

70's, dry and sunny today, with a nice breeze.

Yesterday, turned on the AC because of the humidity. Today, windows
open and very pleasant.

Humidity is the killer.
Michael Bulatovich
2007-06-27 16:33:53 UTC
Post by 3D Peruna
Post by Pat
Wow, it's getting hot out. Supposed to be near 90' again today, then
a cool front should be coming along and taking back down into the
reasonableness of the 70s. I'm wondering if I should go find my AC
and put it in the window for one day. Yeah, probably, 2 more months
after this where I might need it once in a while. I hate living in an
AC world.....
high 80's and humid yesterday.
70's, dry and sunny today, with a nice breeze.
Yesterday, turned on the AC because of the humidity. Today, windows open
and very pleasant.
Humidity is the killer.
Just came back from a short jog in the smog. Before I left the weather
channel said the dewpoint was 20c (68f). The run was supposed to end at the
pool, and I put a quarter in one shoe for the locker, but when I got there
they were cleaning up after some overnight vandalism. Cool shower time.

C'MON BOOMERS! http://www.weatheroffice.gc.ca/radar/index_e.html?id=wkr

Hey Pat it looks like it's raining on you right about now.
--
MichaelB
www.michaelbulatovich.ca
Pat
2007-06-27 17:16:29 UTC
Post by Michael Bulatovich
Post by 3D Peruna
Post by Pat
[...]
On your radar you see 2 lakes in SW NY. The western one is Chautauqua
Lake -- all pretty ritzy. The eastern one is the Kinzua Reservior.
I am just barely to the NNW of the upper end of the Kinzua. I was
outside when the front came through. Just a few drops. Now there's a
little wind, though, which is nice.
pigsty1953@yahoo.com
2007-06-27 23:39:00 UTC
Post by Pat
Post by Michael Bulatovich
Post by 3D Peruna
Post by Pat
[...]
little wind, though, which is nice.- Hide quoted text -
Pat, I know this is way ot, but in 1958 I had my pic taken on the
indian reservation with an Indian boy in full regalia.

Also I remember very well the const of Kinzua Dam.

As I said before, I am very fond of Upstate NY.

Randy
Señor Popcorn-Coconut
2007-06-28 01:00:43 UTC
Post by ***@yahoo.com
Pat, I know this is way ot,
Not on alt.architecture, sweetie. :)
Post by ***@yahoo.com
but in 1958 I had my pic taken on the indian reservation with an Indian boy in full regalia.
Also I remember very well the const of Kinzua Dam.
As I said before, I am very fond of Upstate NY.
I just moved from Vancouver to Halifax, so now I'm closer to NY and
Maine, etc.. I think I prefer Eastern North America. Oregon and
Washington are nice too, but there's a certain je ne sais quoi about the
east.
Speaking of heat; I'm still unsure about the heat bugs (cicadas), whose
sounds I love, but I just spoke to someone from PEI and he's unsure
Halifax has them (either).
george conklin
Since cicadas are on a 17-year cycle, you might have to wait a bit.
Señor Popcorn-Coconut
2007-06-28 19:16:16 UTC
Post by ***@yahoo.com
but in 1958 I had my pic taken on the indian reservation with an Indian
boy in full regalia.
Also I remember very well the const of Kinzua Dam.
As I said before, I am very fond of Upstate NY.
I just moved from Vancouver to Halifax, so now I'm closer to NY and Maine,
etc.. I think I prefer Eastern North America. Oregon and Washington are
nice too, but there's a certain je ne sais quoi about the east.
Speaking of heat; I'm still unsure about the heat bugs (cicadas), whose
sounds I love, but I just spoke to someone from PEI and he's unsure
Halifax has them (either).
Since cicadas are on a 17-year cycle, you might have to wait a bit.
Hi George, your name reads familiar. :) As far as I'm aware, there are
different species of cicada and most are yearly.

"Most of the North American species are in the genus Tibicen - the
annual or dog-day cicadas (named after the 'Dog Days' because they
emerge in late July and August). The best-known North American genus is
Magicicada, however. These periodical cicadas have an extremely long
life cycle of 13 or 17 years and emerge in large numbers. Another
American species is the Apache cicada, Diceroprocta apache."
--Wikipedia.org
Michael Bulatovich
2007-06-28 19:42:50 UTC
"Most of the North American species are in the genus Tibicen - the annual
or dog-day cicadas (named after the 'Dog Days' because they emerge in late
July and August). The best-known North American genus is Magicicada,
however. These periodical cicadas have an extremely long life cycle of 13
or 17 years and emerge in large numbers. Another American species is the
Apache cicada, Diceroprocta apache."
--Wikipedia.org
One summer morning a couple of years ago we were having breakfast on 'the
deck' under 'our tree'. My daughter looked up and yelled, "What's that?!"
It was the size of my thumb (counting the wings), but somewhat camouflaged
on the tree branch, 8 feet off the ground and about 8 feet away. My field
book tells me it was a "Dog Day Harvest Fly", in the Cicada family, order of
Homoptera...not that there's anything wrong with that.

Is that the same as the Tibicen?
--
MichaelB
www.michaelbulatovich.ca
Señor Popcorn-Coconut
2007-06-28 20:17:31 UTC
Post by Michael Bulatovich
[...]
It might be. Apparently there are many species flying around (which,
oddly, one rarely sees. I've only seen and caught one).

A few years back, when I spent a fabulous dog-day September in Windsor,
ON, (which is where I got my mountain bike stolen and where I learned to
rollerblade by necessity :) and where it might be a little warmer yet,
there seemed to be another sound I was unfamiliar with-- more of a
ticking sound. I'm unsure it was a cicada, but it probably was.

I prefer the sounds of the ones I grew up with in Montreal, which have
more of a smoother, more "metallic" sound and which seem to be the same
or similar to the ones in Ottawa.
...You'll have to tell me about Toronto's if and when you can. The
dog-days are almost upon us. :)
Don
2007-06-28 20:33:51 UTC
Post by Señor Popcorn-Coconut
A few years back, when I spent a fabulous dog-day September in Windsor,
ON, (which is where I got my mountain bike stolen and where I learned to
rollerblade by necessity :) and where it might be a little warmer yet,
there seemed to be another sound I was unfamiliar with-- more of a ticking
sound. I'm unsure it was a cicada, but it probably was.
I prefer the sounds of the ones I grew up with in Montreal, which have
more of a smoother, more "metallic" sound and which seem to be the same or
similar to the ones in Ottawa.
...You'll have to tell me about Toronto's if and when you can. The
dog-days are almost upon us. :)
I saw some when I was young and living in the woods north of Gettysburg, PA,
very prehistoric.
Large eyes, large wings, and dark brown.
I remember hearing them, maybe swarms of them, in the woods and the sound
was terrifying.
Is this what you are talking about?
The sound was like a real fast Brrrrr'ing sound, with pitch building to a
fervor then dropping off.
Haven't seen or heard any since about 1966 when I moved to FL.
Señor Popcorn-Coconut
2007-06-28 20:57:11 UTC
Post by Don
[...]
Possibly, if yet another species with a different sound.
I imagine every species has a different sound.
There are probably online sites and databases with audio files along
those lines.

In Montreal and Ottawa, I get the impression that each sound I heard was
from a sole cicada (some songs would occasionally overlap, depending on
how many there were and trees in the neighborhood), rather than a swarm,
but wouldn't doubt that some species might prefer to chorus.
Sounds intriguing.
Pat
2007-06-29 03:21:35 UTC
Post by Michael Bulatovich
[...]
Oh great, even the bugs in Montreal have their own language. Wait til
the Canadian gov't figure that out and give them some sort of status.

and which seem to be the same
dog-days are almost upon us. :)
Señor Popcorn-Coconut
2007-07-02 19:30:33 UTC
Post by Michael Bulatovich
[...]
With an extension to the minorities in Ontario.
and which seem to be the same
dog-days are almost upon us. :)
Pat
2007-06-28 16:35:43 UTC
Post by ***@yahoo.com
but in 1958 I had my pic taken on the indian reservation with an Indian boy in full regalia.
Also I remember very well the const of Kinzua Dam.
As I said before, I am very fond of Upstate NY.
I just moved from Vancouver to Halifax, so now I'm closer to NY and
Maine, etc.. I think I prefer Eastern North America. Oregon and
Washington are nice too, but there's a certain je ne sais quoi about the
east.
Speaking of heat; I'm still unsure about the heat bugs (cicadas), whose
sounds I love, but I just spoke to someone from PEI and he's unsure
Halifax has them (either).
Even the difference between western NY and eastern NY is amazing. WNY
is all about the Erie Canal and Railroads -- all from the later
1800s. Eastern NY, especially the Hudson River Valley, has such a
long and diverse history.

Eastern NY is really "east coast" while WNY is really "mid-west".
Señor Popcorn-Coconut
2007-06-28 20:22:51 UTC
Post by ***@yahoo.com
[...]
It's fascinating how regional things can be, even with the people and
rest of the wildlife.
Ken S. Tucker
2007-06-28 20:50:06 UTC
On Jun 28, 1:22 pm, Señor Popcorn-Coconut <***@domain.invalid> wrote:
Post by Señor Popcorn-Coconut
It's fascinating how regional things can be, even with the people and
rest of the wildlife.
Very true, we just transplanted from ont to bc
just for a change. ontario's loaded with muskito's
and black flies, but here there are maybe one a
week, we should've moved to the okanagan 20 yrs
ago! The oky has way more interesting beetles,
don't know why.
The people are different too, we're still trying to
figure out why canucks are weirdo's, so comparing
one group of weirdo's to another group of weirdo's
is tricky, I'll keep ye all posted.
Ken
Señor Popcorn-Coconut
2007-06-28 21:11:12 UTC
Post by Ken S. Tucker
Post by Señor Popcorn-Coconut
It's fascinating how regional things can be, even with the people and
rest of the wildlife.
Very true, we just transplanted from ont to bc
just for a change. ontario's loaded with muskito's
and black flies, but here there are maybe one a
week, we should've moved to the okanagan 20 yrs
ago! The oky has way more interesting beetles,
don't know why.
The people are different too, we're still trying to
figure out why canucks are weirdo's, so comparing
one group of weirdo's to another group of weirdo's
is tricky, I'll keep ye all posted.
When I spent some time (3 months) in Los Angeles, Calif. (which is where
I was introduced to Jerry Springer and Howard Stern), there was this
bird that would sing all kinds of crazy songs, like it was a different
bird per song, in the middle of the night!
It woke us up over a few nights because it was just outside our windows,
so we finally went out with a flashlight to see if we could find and
shoo it.
Lo and behold it was in a tree quietly and ostensibly indignantly
looking down at us in our spotlight as if to say, "Ya, ok, you got me. I
sing at night. So what."

We named it 'Weirdobird', despite an affection and respect for it that
it did its own thing and was secure in its own feathers, while yet
holding the torch for the other birds.
Pat
2007-06-29 03:24:20 UTC
Post by Ken S. Tucker
[...]
When we first moved to this house, the back neighbor had a rooster
that would crow at about sunrise every morning and annoy everyone in
the neighborhood. I think he annoyed the owner, too, because shortly
thereafter he ate the rooster.
William
Were I live its illegale to raise roosters.
Pat
Why???
Don

Because *someone else* doesn't want them too, silly!
Pat
2007-06-30 14:14:44 UTC
Post by Pat
Post by Ken S. Tucker
[...]
I was just being sarcastic cuz he lives in a big-ass city in one of
those downtown, rich, yuppy enclaves. Yuppies and roosters, now
there's a combo for you.

Besides, meat comes from the store, didn't you know that. They grow
it under cellophane wrap.
george conklin

Actually they grow it under prepackaged cellophane wrap.
Don
2007-06-30 15:51:13 UTC
Post by Pat
Post by Pat
Post by Ken S. Tucker
[...]
Right, they package 6 eggs under the cellophane and then 21 days later its a
dozen wings.
george conklin
Wings? What about breasts?
Don
I'll take 2, pleez.
Señor Popcorn-Coconut
2007-07-02 19:25:35 UTC
Post by Don
Post by george conklin
Post by Don
Post by Pat
Post by Pat
Post by Ken S. Tucker
[...]
This subthread's getting scary... Anyway, I hope the cellophane's
biodegradable.
Don
2007-06-30 10:16:35 UTC
"William"> wrote
Were I live its illegale to raise roosters.
^^^

Can you clip the wings and let them live on the ground?
Kris Krieger
2007-07-01 02:57:48 UTC
Maybe only ehan that ILLeGALE is blowing ;)
Ken S. Tucker
2007-06-30 10:59:42 UTC
Post by William
Post by Pat
Post by Señor Popcorn-Coconut
We named it 'Weirdobird', despite an affection and respect for it that
it did its own thing and was secure in its own feathers, while yet
holding the torch for the other birds.
We used to tape record birds using an outdoor mike.
It's fun playing it back to them.
Post by William
Post by Pat
When we first moved to this house, the back neighbor had a rooster
that would crow at about sunrise every morning and annoy everyone in
the neighborhood. I think he annoyed the owner, too, because shortly
thereafter he ate the rooster.
Were I live its illegale to raise roosters.
Is here too, but it's the neighbours hobby,
he has a real nice chicken coup.
They sometimes jump the fence and
wander around our place, fun stuff.
We don't have pets because we're impulsive
travellers.
Ken
Don
2007-06-30 11:47:59 UTC
Post by William
Post by Pat
When we first moved to this house, the back neighbor had a rooster
that would crow at about sunrise every morning and annoy everyone in
the neighborhood. I think he annoyed the owner, too, because shortly
thereafter he ate the rooster.
Were I live its illegale to raise roosters.
Is here too, but it's the neighbours hobby,
he has a real nice chicken coup.
They sometimes jump the fence and
wander around our place, fun stuff.
We don't have pets because we're impulsive
travellers.
------------------
Having animals is normal around here, the more the merrier.
I wanna get some big FAT chickens and let them parade around in the yard.
I wanna kow too, and maybe a horse.
He could help me pull some big logs up out of the forest.
Thinking about trying my hand at chainsaw-log carving.
Don't know how well my little Poulan 16 incher will do though.
I also have a 12" cordless thats cool for trimming branches.
Ken S. Tucker
2007-06-30 12:42:56 UTC
Post by Ken S. Tucker
Is here too, but it's the neighbours hobby,
he has a real nice chicken coup.
They sometimes jump the fence and
wander around our place, fun stuff.
We don't have pets because we're impulsive
travellers.
------------------
Having animals is normal around here, the more the merrier.
I wanna get some big FAT chickens and let them parade around in the yard.
I wanna kow too, and maybe a horse.
He could help me pull some big logs up out of the forest.
Thinking about trying my hand at chainsaw-log carving.
Don't know how well my little Poulan 16 incher will do though.
I also have a 12" cordless thats cool for trimming branches.
It's one of those "you only live once" cliches, you could
always sell a kow or horse if it turns out to be a hassle.
Chainsaw carving: I started practicing on cheap soft wood
to get the feel of it. Masters of the craft eventually graduate
to finer woods and finishing tools. I got as far as bugs
bunny's head, looked like a rabbit.
Ken
Don
2007-06-30 13:24:29 UTC
Post by Ken S. Tucker
Post by Ken S. Tucker
[...]
I used to do some wood carving many years ago and was told its easier to
carve hard woods than soft woods and I found that true.
While soft woods are physically easier to carve they are also easier to mess
up, say, if the knife slips, or if you push too hard and split the wood.
When I came thru Gnaw Bone yesterday I saw a dood had an 8' log stood up and
was shaping it into a bear.
I might stop by there later today and yap with him for awhile.
The good ones rough it out with the chain then go at it with dremels and
files and sandpaper to make it stand out in the details.
Me?
I'd take it to the next level and blow some airbrush on it and see what
happens.
Pat
2007-06-30 14:18:58 UTC
Post by Ken S. Tucker
Post by William
Post by Pat
[...]
What's cool around here is when someone takes a tree down and leaves a
4' stump and has a carver come out and do the stump -- right in the
ground still. Sort of a permanent sculpure.
Don
2007-06-30 15:53:37 UTC
Post by Ken S. Tucker
Post by William
Post by Pat
[...]

Cool.
We have some stumps around here and that gives me some ideas.
Theres a large maple on the northside of the house that died in the past
year and I want to cut it off about 3' above the ground and then make either
a table out of it or my Squirrel Carnival.
Pat
2007-07-01 00:39:18 UTC
Post by Pat
Post by Ken S. Tucker
Post by William
Post by Pat
[...]
Man, I wish I remember where it was, but I saw one once that was an
ogre or troll or gargoil or such. It has roots coming out and running
a couple of feet to a sidehill. They were used a legs, etc. It was
really the right sculpture for that tree.
++
2007-07-01 03:14:37 UTC
Post by Pat
Post by Pat
What's cool around here is when someone takes a tree down and leaves a
4' stump and has a carver come out and do the stump -- right in the
ground still. Sort of a permanent sculpure.
Cool.
We have some stumps around here and that gives me some ideas.
Theres a large maple on the northside of the house that died in the past
year and I want to cut it off about 3' above the ground and then make either
a table out of it or my Squirrel Carnival.
Man, I wish I remember where it was, but I saw one once that was an
ogre or troll or gargoil or such. It has roots coming out and running
a couple of feet to a sidehill. They were used a legs, etc. It was
really the right sculpture for that tree.
Hmm, but then how do you prevent both the copsing over of the inevitable
new growth on your scilpture while also preventing the rotting out of
your stump? Can yo put some kinda sealant on a live stump?
Don
Soak it with Thompsons waterseal every year or so.
++
Should kill off at least the termites
Don
2007-07-01 10:30:43 UTC
Post by Pat
Post by Ken S. Tucker
Post by William
Post by Pat
[...]

Thats the trick, seeing the entity hiding just below the surface, then,
remove everything that doesn't look like it belongs.
Pat
2007-06-30 14:16:30 UTC
Post by Ken S. Tucker
Post by William
Post by Pat
Post by Señor Popcorn-Coconut
We named it 'Weirdobird', despite an affection and respect for it that
it did its own thing and was secure in its own feathers, while yet
holding the torch for the other birds.
We used to tape record birds using an outdoor mike.
It's fun playing it back to them.
Another exciting night at the Tucker household.
Guess WHO we're having for dinner?
Ken S. Tucker
2007-07-01 15:01:39 UTC
Post by Pat
Post by Ken S. Tucker
Post by William
Post by Pat
Post by Señor Popcorn-Coconut
We named it 'Weirdobird', despite an affection and respect for it that
it did its own thing and was secure in its own feathers, while yet
holding the torch for the other birds.
We used to tape record birds using an outdoor mike.
It's fun playing it back to them.
Another exciting night at the Tucker household.
LOL, check out the sound files at this link...
http://earco.travisktucker.com/
Post by Pat
Post by Ken S. Tucker
Post by William
Post by Pat
When we first moved to this house, the back neighbor had a rooster
that would crow at about sunrise every morning and annoy everyone in
the neighborhood. I think he annoyed the owner, too, because shortly
thereafter he ate the rooster.
Were I live its illegale to raise roosters.
Is here too, but it's the neighbours hobby,
he has a real nice chicken coup.
They sometimes jump the fence and
wander around our place, fun stuff.
We don't have pets because we're impulsive
travellers.
Ken
Guess WHO we're having for dinner?
She gave us a chicken, it tasted ok!
Ken
Ken S. Tucker
2007-06-30 10:49:30 UTC
Post by Ken S. Tucker
[...]
It's 3:45 am, the sky is getting light so the neighours
rooster should be getting horny in a few minutes.
I think it bothers the wife, but I don't mind it.
Had some people sleep over last night and they
found it a tad annoying.
Ken
Don
2007-06-30 11:43:45 UTC
------------------------

Thats because they weren't drunk enuff.....
Ken S. Tucker
2007-06-30 12:28:08 UTC
Post by Ken S. Tucker
[...]
At 4:20 am the rooster got horny, it's pretty light
out by that time so it's hard to sleep anyway.
We had 5 extra people sleep over, a bit crowded
but no problem. Wife and I slept in the extra
cabin. We had a great time.
Ken
Don

4:20 huh?
george conklin
You can't fool us. YOU are the rooster who gets horny at 4:20 AM.
Don
2007-06-30 15:49:17 UTC
Post by george conklin
Post by Ken S. Tucker
Post by Ken S. Tucker
[...]
I don't crow until AFTERWARDS!
Maybe that rooster wanted to do something else at 4:20..........
george conklin
Afterwards or during?
Ken S. Tucker
Ken
Pat
2007-06-30 14:21:45 UTC
Post by Ken S. Tucker
[...]
I will refrain from saying what I was thinking. It was something
along the line of "so, your wife doesn't like the big c**k first thing
in the morning".
george conklin

That much seems obvious. The poster is the horny rooster.
Don
2007-06-30 15:54:56 UTC
Post by Ken S. Tucker
[...]

Whats that thing about the wife that poked her husband in the back with a
shovel handle first thing in the morning, to let him know what its like?
Pat
2007-06-28 02:40:41 UTC
Post by ***@yahoo.com
Post by Pat
Post by Michael Bulatovich
Post by 3D Peruna
Post by Pat
[...]
I wonder if the Indian thing was at Fentier Village. It was sort of
an old-west/Indian theme.
Don
2007-06-27 16:30:24 UTC
Post by Pat
Wow, it's getting hot out. Supposed to be near 90' again today, then
a cool front should be coming along and taking back down into the
reasonableness of the 70s. I'm wondering if I should go find my AC
and put it in the window for one day. Yeah, probably, 2 more months
after this where I might need it once in a while. I hate living in an
AC world.....
NEAR 90?
Its 90 already here and supposed to get up to 95 this afternoon.
Git your ass outta that chair and come over here and gimme a hand.
I'm installing (5) 4x4 pt posts 9' long in a few minutes and then after that
I'm gonna field frame my beam with 2x8's, 8 and 10 footers.
Thought I'd take a break and consume a cold turkey sando and a trashcan full
of h2o.
We have the ac on in the house but I don't go in there until its time to hit
the sheets.
I sleep the ac on 60, the ceiling fan on high, no covers, and nothing but my
birfday suit........drives my wife crazy, she has to have at least 5 blankys
on her at all times. LOL
Edgar
2007-06-27 17:27:20 UTC
Post by Don
Post by Pat
[...]
I just wish my girlfriend would realize, it's easier to put enough stuff on
to warm up than it is to remove enough to cool off. Even with just a pair
boxers (she hates butt sweat so no bday suit) I'm sweating my ass off.
--
Edgar
Ken S. Tucker
2007-06-27 18:00:47 UTC
Post by Edgar
Post by Don
Post by Pat
[...]
Took a few days to tour to Van BC, back through
Washington, weather perfect, no sweat, no shiver.
Now it's 72F with gentle overcast, perfect.
Ken
Don
2007-06-27 20:32:20 UTC
Post by Ken S. Tucker
Post by Edgar
Post by Don
Post by Pat
[...]
When I was in the army I had a clock-radio that also had a digital?
thermometer on it.
I had it sitting on the air conditioner and I would fine tune the AC to
where it felt perfect.
It took weeks to dial it in exactly.
In the end I found that 72 seemed to be the perfect temperature for me.
To this day I use that number as a daily guide as to how my performance will
be for any given day.
I knew it was gonna be well over 72 to day so I guaged myself for it, not
that it helped. LOL
Michael Bulatovich
2007-06-27 18:35:34 UTC
Post by Edgar
Post by Don
Post by Pat
[...]
I'm guessing you haven't been to "Portage and Main" ; D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portage_and_Main

The snot freezes in your nose. Your spit freezes before it hits the ground.
If you stop moving you're dead.
RicodJour
2007-06-27 18:46:07 UTC
Post by Edgar
I just wish my girlfriend would realize, it's easier to put enough stuff on
to warm up than it is to remove enough to cool off. Even with just a pair
boxers (she hates butt sweat so no bday suit) I'm sweating my ass off.
If you're looking for someone to appreciate your sweaty ass, maybe you
should try one of the bars on the other side of the tracks, like The
White Swallow or The Man Hole. =:O

Edgar
2007-06-27 20:14:28 UTC
Post by RicodJour
Post by Edgar
I just wish my girlfriend would realize, it's easier to put enough stuff on
to warm up than it is to remove enough to cool off. Even with just a pair
boxers (she hates butt sweat so no bday suit) I'm sweating my ass off.
If you're looking for someone to appreciate your sweaty ass, maybe you
should try one of the bars on the other side of the tracks, like The
White Swallow or The Man Hole. =:O
LOL, um, no thanks, I'm perfectly fine as I am.
--
Edgar
++
2007-06-27 19:56:28 UTC
Post by Pat
Wow, it's getting hot out. Supposed to be near 90' again today, then
a cool front should be coming along and taking back down into the
reasonableness of the 70s. I'm wondering if I should go find my AC
and put it in the window for one day. Yeah, probably, 2 more months
after this where I might need it once in a while. I hate living in an
AC world.....
Today is 80s to 90s, yesterday was 90s. Most of the week has been code
orange which means we ride metro busses (but not the subway) for free to
keep people from remaining outside. Thunderstorms a coming, 'tis the
season. It is good to be indoors
Pat
2007-06-27 20:28:48 UTC
Post by ++
Post by Pat
Wow, it's getting hot out. Supposed to be near 90' again today, then
a cool front should be coming along and taking back down into the
reasonableness of the 70s. I'm wondering if I should go find my AC
and put it in the window for one day. Yeah, probably, 2 more months
after this where I might need it once in a while. I hate living in an
AC world.....
Today is 80s to 90s, yesterday was 90s. Most of the week has been code
orange which means we ride metro busses (but not the subway) for free to
keep people from remaining outside. Thunderstorms a coming, 'tis the
season. It is good to be indoors
Just thunderstorms. Scary. I just finished editing a friend's sermon
for Sunday. Then the thunder and lightning began. Eeeks. Maybe I
didn't do such a good jobs.
RicodJour
2007-06-27 23:21:23 UTC
Post by Pat
Post by ++
Today is 80s to 90s, yesterday was 90s. Most of the week has been code
orange which means we ride metro busses (but not the subway) for free to
keep people from remaining outside. Thunderstorms a coming, 'tis the
season. It is good to be indoors
Just thunderstorms. Scary. I just finished editing a friend's sermon
for Sunday. Then the thunder and lightning began. Eeeks. Maybe I
didn't do such a good jobs.
Pat, I'll thank you to keep that stuff to yourself - there's no need
to send it my way. When it rolled through here it was unreal. The
heavens opened, the lightning and thunder were awesome and the wind
and torrential downpour had it's way with whatever wasn't nailed
down. Blew my damn hammock stand over! Dog was a trooper, kept
coming up to me to see if I was alright. Not a whimper and no hiding
under tables for him! Too bad he doesn't like hummus - I'd give him
some.

Señor Popcorn-Coconut
2007-06-28 01:05:04 UTC
Post by RicodJour
Post by Pat
Post by ++
[...]
I think I heard on the news that some folks north of the area in Canada
got tornadoes at the time.
William
Cough* Global Warming Cough*
Señor Popcorn-Coconut
Are you catching a cold or is that just smoke? ;)
Don
2007-06-28 11:31:49 UTC
Post by RicodJour
Post by Pat
Post by ++
[...]
Same here. Popped in suddenly about 7pm, right while I was in the middle of
building my 28' beam.
sigh..I hate leaving a project 1/2 finished.
Brandy is terrified of thunder and can hear it 50 miles away.
Lady couldn't care less.
We sat on the front porch, it has a roof, and all 3 of us ate raspberry
jello.
Funny watching dogs eat jello for the first time, chasing it across the
floor.
Don
2007-06-27 20:35:41 UTC
Post by ++
It is good to be indoors
No its not.
I prefer to be outdoors.
People were designed to be outdoors and thats where they should be.
It keeps you intune with the surroundings, the weather, the changes
the...everything.
I sat at a desk for almost 30 years but everyday I tried my best to get
outside one way or another.
I want a waterproof computer.......no, not really.
William
2007-06-27 20:54:00 UTC
Post by Don
Post by ++
It is good to be indoors
No its not.
I prefer to be outdoors.
People were designed to be outdoors and thats where they should be.
It keeps you intune with the surroundings, the weather, the changes
the...everything.
I sat at a desk for almost 30 years but everyday I tried my best to get
outside one way or another.
I want a waterproof computer.......no, not really.
Today was a good day. Not too hot. I biked over to my friend Mark's
house, then we biked over to Chris's house. From there we took the
greenway (Bike Trail) to Hennipen Ave, by far one of the coolest
upbeat thriving streets in the city. Locked our bikes by some cool
brownstones nearby,went to this store called the 5th element that
sells things of the sorts in for the local underground Hip Hop
industry. Then we Biked over to cal surfs, and I had to get home for
my soccer game so I split off and went down the lake Calhoun bike lane
and then went home from there. Not too hot, lots of people out and
about.
Michael Bulatovich
I like buildings!
Happy Time Harry
Yup. Hot out today. Was hot out yesterday. Even hotter out today.
Señor Popcorn-Coconut
2007-06-28 00:48:49 UTC
Post by Pat
Wow, it's getting hot out. Supposed to be near 90' again today, then
a cool front should be coming along and taking back down into the
reasonableness of the 70s. I'm wondering if I should go find my AC
and put it in the window for one day. Yeah, probably, 2 more months
after this where I might need it once in a while. I hate living in an
AC world.....
I noticed that if you can get to sleep on an air-mattress (or waterbed
of course), you will be cooler by a fair degree. with an air-mattress,
you can get away with just a small fan; with a waterbed, it's like
sleeping in a pool without getting wet. :)
Don
2007-06-28 11:41:47 UTC
Post by Pat
Wow, it's getting hot out. Supposed to be near 90' again today, then
a cool front should be coming along and taking back down into the
reasonableness of the 70s. I'm wondering if I should go find my AC
and put it in the window for one day. Yeah, probably, 2 more months
after this where I might need it once in a while. I hate living in an
AC world.....
I noticed that if you can get to sleep on an air-mattress (or waterbed of
course), you will be cooler by a fair degree. with an air-mattress, you
can get away with just a small fan; with a waterbed, it's like sleeping in
a pool without getting wet. :)
I slept in a waterbed for the first time back in 1980 in Palmyra, NY after
having been driving for 34 hours straight.
I was dead but died again when I landed in that waterbed, didn't wanna come
back.
Then in 1984 I convinced my wife to get one, 80% waveless with all the
trimmings of the time.
Now, our bedroom is on the 2nd floor and unable to support the weight of a
waterbed.

I want my waterbed back!!!!!

We have one of them Eddie Bauer air beds and the big dimples all over the
top make it completely unserviceable as far as I'm concerned.
Feels like sleeping directly on a bumpy road. It has a built-in cordless
pump so it blows up automatically.
Maybe if it had one of them 3" thick down cover things on it it would be
acceptable.
Señor Popcorn-Coconut
2007-06-28 20:46:00 UTC
Post by Don
Post by Pat
[...]
I presume you agree with finding it cooler?

Once I settle, I'd like to get my waterbed back too.
Waterbeds are a serious PITA with hummus when you have to move, and move
often. Naturally, air mattresses are an ideal compromise.

Regular bed mattresses (with, WTF, box-springs?!) are just so sad as to
be beneath contempt. ;)
Post by Don
We have one of them Eddie Bauer air beds and the big dimples all over the
top make it completely unserviceable as far as I'm concerned.
Feels like sleeping directly on a bumpy road. It has a built-in cordless
pump so it blows up automatically.
Maybe if it had one of them 3" thick down cover things on it it would be
acceptable.
What do you mean by unserviceable? How bad are the dimples? As bad as
the one-side felt-lined Coleman (or similar) camping ones? I usually put
at least a couple of sheets below me anyway, along with a folded blanket
or two in the winter. You might also be able to soften the dimple effect
by letting some air out. A softer mattress also lets your shoulders sink
in better if you sleep in the fetal position.
Don
2007-06-29 00:52:58 UTC
Post by Don
We have one of them Eddie Bauer air beds and the big dimples all over the
top make it completely unserviceable as far as I'm concerned.
Feels like sleeping directly on a bumpy road. It has a built-in cordless
pump so it blows up automatically.
Maybe if it had one of them 3" thick down cover things on it it would be
acceptable.
What do you mean by unserviceable? How bad are the dimples? As bad as the
one-side felt-lined Coleman (or similar) camping ones? I usually put at
least a couple of sheets below me anyway, along with a folded blanket or
two in the winter. You might also be able to soften the dimple effect by
letting some air out. A softer mattress also lets your shoulders sink in
better if you sleep in the fetal position.
You'd have to let quite a bit of air out of it to get those dimples
flattened.
I'm assuming they are like hollow vinyl columns about 3" in dia and they
serve a structural necessity to keep the thing relatively flat, as opposed
to turning into a ball when blown up.
The dimples were deep, maybe 2" or so, and I found it almost impossible to
sleep on, there were maybe 2- or 30 of them per side, and the whole thing
was lined with a velvet material.
I used it on the construction site of our house when it was under
construction back in the summer of 2002.
That was after our house had been broken into twice in one week and
thousands of dollars worth of stuff stolen both times.
Realizing the police were not capable of dealing with it, even after they
had been warned and alerted several times, I moved onto the site myself with
a gun and a hammer.
I told a bunch of subcontractors that were incapable of doing even
acceptable work to haul ass and did the stuff myself, then pulled guard on
my house at night.
I ended up taking the air mattress home and using my old military sleeping
bag instead.
++
2007-06-29 02:11:26 UTC
Post by Don
Post by Pat
[...]
hmm, sister those beams....
Post by Don
We have one of them Eddie Bauer air beds and the big dimples all over the
top make it completely unserviceable as far as I'm concerned.
Feels like sleeping directly on a bumpy road. It has a built-in cordless
pump so it blows up automatically.
Maybe if it had one of them 3" thick down cover things on it it would be
acceptable.
sneezerific....nothing beats a thick memory foam mattress on a nice
solid platform
Don
2007-06-29 17:39:34 UTC

I hear ya brother!
++
lol
george conklin
2007-06-28 16:01:35 UTC
Post by Pat
Wow, it's getting hot out. Supposed to be near 90' again today, then
a cool front should be coming along and taking back down into the
reasonableness of the 70s. I'm wondering if I should go find my AC
and put it in the window for one day. Yeah, probably, 2 more months
after this where I might need it once in a while. I hate living in an
AC world.....
Move to Beech Mountain. The highest recorded temperature at Fred's official
weather station is 76.