Nifonging Hypocritical Politicians
Pat
2007-06-21 14:32:02 UTC
Read this article from the Buffalo News. I will rant at the bottom of
the article.

http://www.buffalonews.com/145/story/102698.html

=================
Buffalo losing nonstop flights to Albany

Buffalo travelers heading to Albany will lose nonstop flights early
next month.

Continental Airlines confirmed Tuesday its subsidiary, Continental
Connections, will eliminate the two daily flights July 7.

"This is the first in our memory that there won't be nonstop service
from Buffalo to Albany," said Lawrence Meckler, executive director of
the Niagara Frontier Transportation Authority, which operates the
Buffalo Niagara International Airport in Cheektowaga.

Meckler said his staff has set up meetings with other airlines to
gauge interest in adding the route.

"We're not going to let this rest. We should have direct service
between Buffalo and the state capital," Meckler added.

In a study tied to construction of the new airport terminal in 1995,
the business community cited New York City and Albany as the top two
destinations needing increased service.

Continental, which has offered the nonstop flights between Buffalo and
Albany since 1994, said current demand is not strong enough.

"Those flights are operated by Commute Air, our Continental
Connections partners on that route. It was a business decision on
their part," said Continental spokeswoman Mary Clark.

Albany-based Commute Air did not return phone calls about the
decision. The small airline has been using 19-seat Beechcraft 1900s on
the flights, which depart at 8:10 a.m. and 5:55 p.m. daily.

This is not the first time airline connections between Buffalo and
Albany have hit turbulence. US Airways ended its four daily direct
flights in April 2005. Over the past two decades, now-defunct regional
flyers Mall Airlines, Shuttle America and Mohawk Airlines all made
short-lived attempts at nonstop Buffalo-Albany flights.

Assemblyman Sam Hoyt, DBuffalo, for whom Buffalo-Albany trips are a
way of life, described the end of the flights as "disappointing," but
said he doesn't blame the airline.

"I'd say it's a market-driven decision," Hoyt said. "If the demand was
there and there was money to be made, other airlines would be jumping
in."

Hoyt, who occasionally flies or takes Amtrak to get back and forth to
Albany, said he prefers driving the Thruway.

"After you get to the airport an hour early, take the flight and then
drive from the airport to downtown Albany, you've put in over three
hours," the lawmaker said. "I can do the drive in under 4 1/2 and use
my cell phone to get a lot of work done."

He also noted that the drive, even with increasing gas prices, costs
substantially less than the $390 that Continental currently charges
for a round-trip.

While nonstop service soon will be history, Albany-bound passenger
will continue to have several choices via Continental, Delta and
United airlines, as well as USAirways.

The flights, which connect through Philadelphia, New York City and
Washington, D.C., range in price from $248 to $573, and take 3z to
seven hours.

Continental initially introduced the nonstop flights as part of its
early 1990s "Peanuts Fares" promotion, enticing flyers with $99 fares.

=======================

Freeking politicans get freeking special treatment and freeking
"Member of Assembly" license plates that mean you couldn't get a
freeking traffic ticket if you drove the wrong way on the Thruway, in
the wrong lane, it reverse while drunk and making out with your
mistress.

But they pass laws where you and me would get freeking tickets for
doing the same think they don't worry about because they are freeking
"special". Them and troopers. Grrrrrrrrr. Those people who are
"above the law". It's best reason for term limits I can think of.

So here we are, in a newspaper article, where a freeking state
legislator, who passes the freeking laws that control your and me (but
obviously not him) talks about driving to Albany so he can use his
cell phone en route. Guess what, people, NYS has a freeking cell
phone law that says that it is illegal for him to talk on a phone
without a headset or a speaker phone.

Okay, you say, calm down and take your meds. But I want to make two
points. First, have you EVER seen a politicans with an ear piece or
using a speaker phone in a car. No. Never. Just like the Gov of NJ
wasn't wearing a seatbelt when he had his accident WHEN A TROOPER WAS
IN THE CAR. Second, if talking on the phone is distracting, using a
headset doesn't make it much less distracting -- it is supposidly the
talking that was the problem, not the hold the phone -- so should the
illustrious legislator be tearing down the Thruway -- probably
speeding -- and yanking on the phone the whole time????????/
Grrrrrrr.

It's bad enough he does it. He doesn't have to brag about it in the
paper.

"I can do the drive in under 4 1/2 and use my cell phone to get a lot
of work done."

================
P.S. Rico. Been trying Nifong as a new word. I don't think it works
for me.
Edgar
2007-06-21 16:20:45 UTC
Post by Pat
[...]
Gotta say, I find using a headset much less distracting. it isn't the
talking IMO, it is the holding of the handset, and having to look down to do
anything on the phone. With the addition of a headset and voice activated
commands, it pretty much fixes the problem. OK so if the politician in
question is breaking the law, I'd have to agree with you, but I don't know
so I won't say either way until more information come sin.
--
Edgar
George Conklin
Well, then Amtrak already exists on the route and the train buffs can ride.
Pat
LOL. That's funny !!!!!!!!!
George Conklin
2007-06-21 20:08:21 UTC
Post by Pat
Post by George Conklin
Post by Pat
[...]
The boys on the train groups are always pushing Amtrak in place of trains,
and this is certainly a very old, well-established route, to say the least.
Pat
2007-06-21 20:21:40 UTC
Post by George Conklin
Post by Pat
Post by Pat
LOL. That's funny !!!!!!!!!
The boys on the train groups are always pushing Amtrak in place of trains,
and this is certainly a very old, well-established route, to say the least.
It's a great train if you want to leave NYC at night and arrive in
Chicago in the morning. If you want to go from Buf to Alb, the times
are pretty bad, IIRC. Alb to Buf is a awkward distance. Long to
drive but too short of anything else.

Now, if they ever got that high speed train going ....
o***@hotmail.com
2007-06-21 23:17:54 UTC
Post by Pat
Post by George Conklin
Post by Pat
Post by Pat
LOL. That's funny !!!!!!!!!
The boys on the train groups are always pushing Amtrak in place of trains,
and this is certainly a very old, well-established route, to say the least.
It's a great train if you want to leave NYC at night and arrive in
Chicago in the morning. If you want to go from Buf to Alb, the times
are pretty bad, IIRC. Alb to Buf is a awkward distance. Long to
drive but too short of anything else.
Why is 258 miles too long to drive? At 65 or 70 mph, that's less than
four hours.

As for rail, it seems precisely in the bracket that Amtrak proponents
say is more than feasible, really actually ideal.
George Conklin
2007-06-22 12:26:26 UTC
Post by o***@hotmail.com
Post by Pat
Post by George Conklin
Post by Pat
Post by Pat
LOL. That's funny !!!!!!!!!
The boys on the train groups are always pushing Amtrak in place of trains,
and this is certainly a very old, well-established route, to say the least.
It's a great train if you want to leave NYC at night and arrive in
Chicago in the morning. If you want to go from Buf to Alb, the times
are pretty bad, IIRC. Alb to Buf is a awkward distance. Long to
drive but too short of anything else.
Why is 258 miles too long to drive? At 65 or 70 mph, that's less than
four hours.
As for rail, it seems precisely in the bracket that Amtrak proponents
say is more than feasible, really actually ideal.
I drive about that far to the cabin every two weeks. No big deal. And
yes, the that is the distance most rail fains think is ideal for Amtrak to
offer service on using current technology.
pigsty1953@yahoo.com
2007-06-26 00:49:51 UTC
Post by George Conklin
Post by Pat
Post by Pat
LOL. That's funny !!!!!!!!!
The boys on the train groups are always pushing Amtrak in place of trains,
and this is certainly a very old, well-established route, to say the least.- Hide quoted text -
Righto George, the airlines are dropping the route because they cannot
make money at it. Should they be subsdised to keep them flying?

As someone else told you it is a long drive round trip, either for you
to drive or on your vaunted bus.

Maybe you don't notice but gas is still well over $2.50 a gal.

I guess you are willing to support subsidizing airlines, but whine
like a stuck pig even thinking subsidizing rail, which could also
serve Rochester, Syracuse, and Utica.

What sort of puddle jumper would you want to serve those cities?

You are being rediculous again, George.

Randy

Don
2007-06-21 21:14:32 UTC
Post by Pat
Freeking politicans get freeking special treatment
<snip>
No matter how despicable you might think him to be apparently MORE voters
like him than dislike him.
The thing that I find humorous is that no matter whom a voter votes for you
still end up with *freeking politician that gets special treatment*. LOL
RicodJour
2007-06-22 14:15:21 UTC
Hypocritical politician on a grander scale.

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/0622cheney0622.html

Michael Bulatovich
2007-06-22 14:48:36 UTC
Wow. I'd like to hear the rationalizations supporting that claim.
Don
2007-06-22 15:51:47 UTC
Post by Michael Bulatovich
Post by RicodJour
Hypocritical politician on a grander scale.
http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/0622cheney0622.html
Wow. I'd like to hear the rationalizations supporting that claim.
Go ask the schoolyard bully why he punched you on the head.
His answer: 'Cause I can, and there's nothing you can do about it, punkass'.
LOL
Edgar
2007-06-22 14:59:49 UTC
Post by RicodJour
Hypocritical politician on a grander scale.
http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/0622cheney0622.html
It isn't a part, except when it is...

I don't like to use the word evil too much, but I think the word really does
fit for that asshat.
--
Edgar
RicodJour
2007-06-22 17:37:35 UTC
Post by Edgar
Post by RicodJour
Hypocritical politician on a grander scale.
http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/0622cheney0622.html
It isn't a part, except when it is...
I don't like to use the word evil too much, but I think the word really does
fit for that asshat.
I imagine Nifong Cheney believes in "Separate but Equal" - ie. "your
separate opinion equals nothing to me"

Don
2007-06-22 15:50:25 UTC
Post by RicodJour
Hypocritical politician on a grander scale.
http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/0622cheney0622.html
From the article:
Cheney spokeswoman Lea Anne McBride confirmed his position but said she
could not discuss the matter in detail.
---------------------------

There's more and more of this stuff going on all the time from all levels of
gov't.
Elitists claiming they don't have to answer when called to the carpet.

Imagine if you will, that you performed an erroneous act on the job and your
boss asked you to come discuss it in his office and you refused to do so.
You would possibly be fired right on the spot.
Voters though, cannot do anything about it when their *employees* do the
same thing.
All they can do is wait a few years and vote him out, maybe.
This one thing leads to massive unaccountability in gov't.
If the voters cannot get a handle on this thing there will be more and more
unaccountability and erroneous and criminal activity.

Here's the endless enigma:
Voters (employers) must convince their employees (politicians) that they
(politicians) should allow the voters (employers) to put restrictions on
them (politicians) and police their (politicians) behavior.

What a convoluted and silly assed arrangement. LOL
Edgar
2007-06-25 16:35:30 UTC
Post by Don
Post by RicodJour
[...]
Except it's not supposed to work like that, and of course this asshat is
breaking laws left and right. He should be gone.
--
Edgar
Don
2007-06-25 21:10:07 UTC
Post by Edgar
Post by Don
Post by RicodJour
[...]
...but in reality that is exactly how it works.

and of course this asshat is
Post by Edgar
breaking laws left and right. He should be gone.
Agreed, but that is only the first step.
He should PAY his victims first, then be gone.