A sad day
Pat
2007-06-15 19:37:53 UTC
One of the advantages of a small town is that everyone knows everyone,
to some extent. The disadvantage is that everyone knows everyone.

We have a small school -- maybe 300 kids in the entire high school and
graduating classes of 60 or so. Two days ago, a girl was killed in a
car accident. Just was in the wrong place at the wrong time. It was
the SECOND girl killed in 3 weeks. Then, last night a teacher had a
heart attach and died. I have no idea how some of the kids can make
it through their finals and regents. It is devastating to the whole
community.

Stay well and stay safe.

SHS loses second student in a month to fatal car accident

http://www.salamancapress.com/site/tab1.cfm?newsid=18474512&BRD=2725&PAG=461&dept_id=562848&rfi=6

By:BRIAN QUINN, Staff Writer 06/14/2007

NEW ALBION - Investigators are still determining the cause of a
Wednesday afternoon accident in which a 16-year-old Salamanca High
School student was killed.

Cattaraugus County sheriff's deputies report a vehicle driven by Jose
A. Massagli Jr., 21, of 56 Waite Ave. in Salamanca was traveling south
on Route 353 at 4:40 p.m. when it crossed the center line and went
into the path of a flat-bed truck driven by Dennis M. Fitzgerald Jr.,
38, of Springville.

The accident happened at the intersection with Linlyco Lake Road.

Ellie Pierce, 16, of 3446 Center Road, a passenger in the Massagli
vehicle, was pronounced dead at the scene by Cattaraugus County
Coroner Howard VanRensselaer. Massagli and Fitzgerald were each
airlifted by Mercy Flight to Erie County Medical Center. Massagli had
suffered chest, neck, head and lower leg injuries, and was listed in
stable condition this morning. Fitzgerald sustained chest, head and
leg injuries, and was also listed in stable condition this morning.

Deputies had been following up leads on a third vehicle, a passenger
van that reportedly was traveling along Route 353 before the
collision. Eyewitnesses at the scene said the van was traveling north
and was passing the truck, causing Massagli to take "evasive action"
before the collision.

Capt. Robert Buchhardt said this morning that the vehicle had been
found in Gowanda after 10 p.m. Wednesday. Investigators had
interviewed the driver, Fredrick M. Freeman, 52, of Gowanda, who gave
a statement. Buchhardt said he had not seen the statement and could
not comment on what was in it.

Buchhardt said charges are pending. He said investigators must meet
with District Attorney Edward M. Sharkey and find out in what
direction the investigation should go.

"We've already had one phone conversation with the district attorney,
we will sit down with him and see what charges he wants to be placed,"
Buchhardt said. "That will be done within the next couple of days. We
need to compile everything, we need to get statements from the driver
of the truck (Fitzgerald), we need to get statements from driver of
the car (Massagli)."

Deputies, the Sheriff's Office Criminal Investigation Bureau, and the
Sheriff's Office Accident Investigation Unit are involved in the
investigation. Deputies are being assisted by the New York State
Police Commercial Vehicle Enforcement Unit. The Little Valley Fire and
Emergency Medical Services and Cattaraugus Fire and EMS also responded
to the scene. Route 353 was closed for about three hours following the
accident but has since been reopened, deputies said.

This morning, Salamanca High School Principal Donnald Hensel issued a
statement about Pierce.

"The entire Salamanca school community of students, faculty and staff
are very saddened with the loss of Ellie. She was a bright spirit
within our school," Hensel said in the statement. "Ellie was a member
of junior varsity girls basketball, varsity track and basketball
cheerleading, and was a member of the Seneca Youth Council and the
Seneca Youth Dancers.

"Her passing and our other recent loss of one of our students in a car
accident last month has deeply affected our community," Hensel said.

Contacted by phone this morning, Hensel added the school was following
a plan put in place when incidents such as this happen.

"We have staff meeting with kids who would like to have someone to
talk to," he said. "We're speaking with the family and offering to
lend our support however we can.

"We're in touch with the kids and we're just developing the situation
as it comes this morning and trying to be supportive," he said.

This is the second fatal accident involving a Salamanca High School
student in the last month. On May 25, Christie Trummer, 15, of
Salamanca died in an accident on Back Kill Buck Road.
pigsty1953@yahoo.com
2007-06-15 20:04:37 UTC
Post by Pat
[...]
Rural highways are the most dangerous for the relatively few miles
driven on them.
A girl I knew was killed on a rural MO highway just after getting her
degree.

It is always a good idea to obey all speed limits and other laws,
somthing that kids unfortunately often ignore.

Take care, Randy
Don
2007-06-15 20:50:22 UTC
Post by ***@yahoo.com
Post by Pat
[...]
There's a road here called Helmsburg Rd that is a backway into town that I
take all the time cause it has less traffic and theres plenty of chances to
see wild animals.
Couple months ago a local HS girl was killed on that road.
Just yesterday I was coming down a long hill on that road, about 1/2 mile
long, and out of now where a Dodge Neon passed me and a young girl was
driving it AND she was taling on a cellphone at the time.
I was aghast.
That hill is bumpy, has a deep ravine on the right side and you have to have
your wits about you to navigate down it, and here was this 16-17 yo old girl
flying down it at least 50mph or more without a care in the world.
People do crazy stuff when they're young.
William ----Drawing with chalk on sidewalks That is known as vandalism-George Conklin
2007-06-17 01:50:21 UTC
Post by Don
Post by ***@yahoo.com
Post by Pat
[...]
I don't mean to sound insensative Im not sure if this is the right
time to ask but, if this
sort of thing is rare for you what exactly is in your daily news? Hope
for the best-William
Don
2007-06-17 02:32:37 UTC
"William ----Drawing with chalk on sidewalks That is known as
Post by William ----Drawing with chalk on sidewalks That is known as vandalism-George Conklin
Post by Don
Post by ***@yahoo.com
Post by Pat
[...]
There is no *daily* news here.
There's very little *news* at all.
But *word* gets around if you keep your ears peeled, if you know what I
mean.

Here's the sheriffs report for last week, copied directly from the *weekly*
nespaper, which comes out on Tuesday.

Sheriff's Log

June 4

12:09 a.m. Johnson Street caller says she heard gunshots fired in the area.

3:27 a.m. Caller reports that there was an accident with property damage on
Becks Grove Road.

7:11 a.m. A 911 cell phone caller says there is a large cow on Hoover Road.

8:05 a.m. An ambulance is requested for a 67-year-old male having an
allergic reaction.

9:24 a.m. A 911 caller from Bean Blossom Trailer Court requests an ambulance
for a 49-year-old female having stomach pain following bariatric surgery.

10:39 a.m. Business in Fruitdale requests an officer for a drive-off report.

1:49 p.m. Coffey Hill Road caller reports subject in vehicle drove through
his front yard into his back yard.

4:16 p.m. Multiple callers report a runaway child.

9:25 p.m. Nashville gas station reports a drive-off.

9:50 p.m. A State Road 135 South man says he found a baby fawn in his back
yard three days ago and the mother has not come back. Advised him to call
animal rescue.

June 5

2:26 a.m. A woman says her husband called her to tell her he had an accident
on his motorcycle on State Road 135 South near State Road 46 East.

5:29 a.m. A 911 caller requests an ambulance for a 79-year-old male with a
possible spider bite.

6:53 a.m. There is a report of a possible drunk driver on State Road 46
West.

9:32 a.m. There is a dead animal on State Road 46 East by the park entrance
that needs to be removed.

12:27 p.m. Caller from county building requests an ambulance for a
44-year-old male who is complaining of dizziness and sweating profusely.

7:08 p.m. Woman on Valley Branch Road requests an officer for a report of
vehicle vandalism.

7:51 p.m. A 911 caller in Nashville is requesting a place to stay for the
night because his roommate kicked him out and he is homeless.

11:11 p.m. A Kelp Grove Road woman says her son has been drinking and he
shoved her and her husband down and is trying to get into the house.

June 6

12:13 a.m. Woman on Osprey Drive wants an ambulance for an 83-year-old male
having difficulty breathing and severe arm pain.

2:54 p.m. A cell phone caller from Gatesville Road reports an accident. A
female is out of her vehicle appearing dazed.

3:51 p.m. A 911 caller says a tractor and a tree are on fire.

8:08 p.m. A fire unit says a horse is in the road at the intersection of
Peoga and Spearsville roads.

8:40 p.m. There is a report of a horse falling on an 8-year-old girl.

10:25 p.m. A 911 caller says there is an accident with property damage only
with a cow.

June 7

3:52 a.m. A man called saying a woman had called him and said her son was
dead at Pool Road.

10:49 a.m. A local doctor's office called reporting a possible overdose of a
male in his 50s.

3:46 p.m. There is a report of a tree down on a phone line south of Story on
State Road 135 South.

8:16 p.m. A Railroad Road resident says his neighbor is dumping sewage onto
his property.

9:10 p.m. A woman says a raccoon is in her barn. It is foaming at the mouth
and acting aggressively.

9:24 p.m. A 911 caller says a male is slumped over the steering wheel on
Snyder Road.

June 8

1:34 a.m. An Old Haggard Road caller says there is a prowler outside of her
house.

8:36 a.m. A caller from a storage facility requests an officer for a
property damage report.

11:10 a.m. Multiple 911 hang-ups from local camp. Camp says they will speak
to the children prank calls.

1:38 p.m. Local business requests an ambulance for a female having an
allergic reaction.

4:43 p.m. A Duncan Lane resident needs an officer for a verbal dispute with
her sister.

7:17 p.m. A 911 cell phone caller says two teenage boys are playing chicken
with traffic on State Road 46 West.

7:28 p.m. The two boys from the call above claim they lost a piece from a
bicycle and were trying to get it off the roadway.

7:59 p.m. A Hamilton Creek Road resident needs an ambulance for a
57-year-old female who is having seizures.

9:38 p.m. A woman caller says the Lake Lemon marina gas station is on fire.

9:40 p.m. A 911 caller says she hit an animal on State Road 46 East near
Nelson Ridge Road. Says the animal is still alive and on top of her car.

10:01 p.m. A cell phone caller says that hay bales are on fire at the
intersection of Gatesville and Bittersweet roads.

June 9

12:01 a.m. An officer is requested for neighbor's residence. They are being
extremely noisy.

6:09 a.m. Woman reports that a large tree is across the road at North Shore
Drive.

9:38 a.m. There is a report of a possibly intoxicated individual in a field.
They are throwing objects and falling down.

10:03 a.m. A 911 cell phone caller says that a truck is pulling a trailer
with a low tire on State Road 135 North. Appears to be dangerous.

2:20 p.m. A man says a woman is at his residence that has a protective order
against him.

2:53 p.m. A 911 cell phone caller says there has been an accident with minor
personal injury near Nashville.

4:57 p.m. There is a report of a black truck pulling a boat weaving from
line to line on State Road 46 West.

6:13 p.m. A 911 caller says there is a pontoon boat stranded in the lake in
front of his house. The people are trying to swim to shore.

6:59 p.m. An ambulance is requested for a 70-year-old male who is
unconscious due to possible heat exhaustion.

10:03 p.m. An Ink Bush Drive woman requests an officer regarding fireworks
being set off by the neighbors.

June 10

12:53 a.m. Bartholomew County reports two trucks racing into Brown County on
State Road 46 East.

9:15 a.m. A caller says a tractor is on a hill and jumped out of gear and is
rolling toward State Road 135 North.

10:57 a.m. A residence on Upper Salt Creek Road reports that a woman is at
the residence that is not supposed to be.

11:37 a.m. Same residence as above called back. The 16-year-old son wants
the ex-step-mom to leave, the father wants her to stay.

2:05 p.m. A cell phone caller says that a motorcycle is down in town and the
rider is lying on the ground.

4:51 p.m. A woman called requesting an officer regarding chemical things
going on.

5:02 p.m. A safe was found in the roadway on Wallow Hollow Road.

7:14 p.m. A Becks Grove Road caller requests an officer for a verbal
confrontation with a 13-year-old male who is on probation.

9:14 p.m. A 911 caller reports a reckless driver by the courthouse.
Pat
2007-06-17 02:55:52 UTC
On Jun 16, 9:50 pm, William ----Drawing with chalk on sidewalks That
Post by Don
Post by ***@yahoo.com
Post by Pat
[...]
Daily news? Let's see. The city decided to go to bid for an engineer
for infrastructure work. They've had the current one for 2 or 3 years
and decided to get qualificaitons, again, just to be legal. (hint,
they'll keep who they have).

The old police chief retired. They hired a new one and sent him to
the FBI academy. He came back and about a month later he quite and
went to the State Police. So they had a new Civil Service exam but
not enough people passed it to create a legal list. (all the cops
took it, only 2 passed and 1 of them turned down the job). So they
decided to make the job non-civil service and hire a city councilman
who is a Sheriff Deputy. But that got too political and they backed
off of that. So they promoted the only remaining guy who passed the
test. That was good for about a week of headlines.

The school is building a big addition. That's always news. What are
they adding, what are they deleting, etc. The fitness room is now
open to the publc :-) but they will close it when school gets out :-
(

Around Christmas time a guy named Roy Evans (who wrote "Siver Bells")
"returrns home" and they have a Christmas concert -- mostly of his
songs. They sell tickets, but he buy most of them and gives them to
his sister (who lives here) to give to her friends. But he died this
spring, I think. And the named the theater after him.

Almost every local council meeting is on the front page. That's good
for a few stories: meeting agenda in advance; story the day of the
meeting; and a story or two the next day saying what they did. Plus
the BPU meeitngs, fire commission, IDA, police commission.

Anyone who wins just about anything get's headlines on the front page.

here. this is an INCREDIBLY busy week for news:

http://www.salamancapress.com/

This is Olean. It is the biggest city in the county. It is maybe 4
times the size of where I live. This is sort of like the county-wide
newspaper.
www.oleantimesherald.com

Inside the newspaper is the obituaries (probably the most-read part of
the paper since newspaper readers tend to be older), some comics (aka
funnies), the police blotter (every traffic stop the cops make), the
fire blotter, Dear Abby and, of course, the school lunch menu. They
wire service stuff fills the rest of it.

The local paper is probably about 6 pages of "news" and about the same
for sports each day.

Right now you're probably laughing your arse off thinking that nothing
happens here. You're right. You've finally gotten it. Nothing
happens here. That's how we like it. We don't have murders or kids
getting killed in cars. We don't have robberies or car chases. Our
newspaper is more likely to be a picture of the middle school concert
or some recieving a plaque. So this is pretty devastating.

Here are two more differences for you. The school principal told
teachers that if a kid does unusually bad on a local final (non-
Regent) exam (say the kid is a solid 85 student and gets a 50 on the
final), and the teacher know the kid was a close friend of any of the
people who died, then to just ignore the final and give the kid a
grade based on the rest of the year. That can happen when the entire
grade is 60- to 70 kids. Second, 4 kids didn't show up for the
English Regents Exam the day after the second girl died. In our town,
you hear the results of things like that. She had 4 friends who just
could get to class the next day (which is truly understandable). But
in a big school, I don't think one notices the small subleties like
that about attendance.
Don
2007-06-17 03:10:04 UTC
Post by Pat
Here are two more differences for you. The school principal told
teachers that if a kid does unusually bad on a local final (non-
Regent) exam (say the kid is a solid 85 student and gets a 50 on the
final), and the teacher know the kid was a close friend of any of the
people who died, then to just ignore the final and give the kid a
grade based on the rest of the year.
Around here if a kid doesn't show up at school the principal drives to their
house to see whats up.
If its superficial, car won't start, missed the bus, stuff like that, the
kid rides to school with the principal.
William ----Drawing with chalk on sidewalks That is known as vandalism-George Conklin
2007-06-17 03:25:05 UTC
Post by Don
Post by Pat
Here are two more differences for you. The school principal told
teachers that if a kid does unusually bad on a local final (non-
Regent) exam (say the kid is a solid 85 student and gets a 50 on the
final), and the teacher know the kid was a close friend of any of the
people who died, then to just ignore the final and give the kid a
grade based on the rest of the year.
Around here if a kid doesn't show up at school the principal drives to their
house to see whats up.
If its superficial, car won't start, missed the bus, stuff like that, the
kid rides to school with the principal.
Your guys's Small towns sound a lot similar to my neighborhood, at
least as far news goes.
Around here we have five major local news stations; PBS,CBS,ABC,Fox,
and NBC. We have the Star Tribune
which is Minneapolis, and the Pinoneer Press, that is St.Paul. More
local yet still pretty big is the southwest journel.
And then we get the weakly neighborhood news. Of course we have alot
of radio stations such as NPR, and MPR but you get the picture. We got
news to spare.
Pat
2007-06-17 03:41:31 UTC
On Jun 16, 11:25 pm, William ----Drawing with chalk on sidewalks That
Post by Don
Post by Pat
[...]
You've got TV stations? And what's MPR.

Let's see, there's TV stations up in Buffalo -- about 60 miles away.

We have a local newspaper with a circulation of about 2000.

We have AM and FM radio statons (hard rock and sports) but it's all
satellite stuff so no one listens. There's "the PIG" in Olean --
country <gag>, There's an NPR repeater, but here it is of the same
bad quality as the signal from Buffalo. Every once in a while, on 1
station, I get "info" on my car radio that says the name of the
station and the song. When I go into the Catskills, there are still
huge sections where there are no signals whatsoever. The radio keeps
scanning and scanning for 20 or 30 minutes and it scares you when if
finally find something.

As Don said, local news in the local paper and the coffee shop.
Don
2007-06-17 10:39:57 UTC
Post by Don
Post by Pat
[...]
Bout the same way here Pat, if you turn on the news on TV it comes out of
Indianapolis, 60+ miles away, and other than the weather (which is never
right anyways) none of the stuff they talk about is relevent to us. Plus,
its a huge downer to sit there staring at the thing while they yammer on an
on about gangland shootings, swindles, political shenanigans, blah, blah,
blahhhhh....
Who needs that shit?
I just now sat down at my desk, turned the toob on and the dood is talking
about the Frisbee, saying today is the 50th anniversary of its creation.
I've been a huge fan of Frisbee since I was a kid so now I guess I'm gonna
have to go out and find the anniversary edition and buy 10 of them.
Now THATS what I call news, so I'll just turn the toob off and get back to
reality.....
Don
2007-06-17 10:33:16 UTC
Post by Don
Post by Pat
[...]
Yeah, I know.
Its that last sentence I can live without.
Its called *make news*.
I moved from a city with 150,000+ people a year ago, to a county with less
than 15,000.
Life is better here.
Pat
2007-06-20 01:41:25 UTC
Post by Don
Post by Pat
[...]
You wanted to know what was in our paper on a daily basis. Here ya
go:
http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=18492070&BRD=2725&PAG=461&dept_id=562746&rfi=6

http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=18492070&BRD=2725&PAG=461&dept_id=562746&rfi=6
William
2007-06-20 03:55:45 UTC
Post by Don
Post by Pat
[...]
Nice, sounds like a classic nice old town.
Well on the way from picking up my dad on the way to my soccer game
today
I saw a really cool brownstone neighborhood just outside of downtown
so tomorrow if I get off
work early I might bike down there to see it. I memorized the address
where I saw it.
Park Ave and 9th street I think.

Pat
2007-06-17 03:35:13 UTC
Post by Don
Post by Pat
Here are two more differences for you. The school principal told
teachers that if a kid does unusually bad on a local final (non-
Regent) exam (say the kid is a solid 85 student and gets a 50 on the
final), and the teacher know the kid was a close friend of any of the
people who died, then to just ignore the final and give the kid a
grade based on the rest of the year.
Around here if a kid doesn't show up at school the principal drives to their
house to see whats up.
If its superficial, car won't start, missed the bus, stuff like that, the
kid rides to school with the principal.
Okay, I give up. Explain this one: A local doctor's office called
reporting a possible overdose of a male
Don
2007-06-17 11:33:24 UTC
Post by Pat
Post by Don
Post by Pat
Here are two more differences for you. The school principal told
teachers that if a kid does unusually bad on a local final (non-
Regent) exam (say the kid is a solid 85 student and gets a 50 on the
final), and the teacher know the kid was a close friend of any of the
people who died, then to just ignore the final and give the kid a
grade based on the rest of the year.
Around here if a kid doesn't show up at school the principal drives to their
house to see whats up.
If its superficial, car won't start, missed the bus, stuff like that, the
kid rides to school with the principal.
Okay, I give up. Explain this one: A local doctor's office called
reporting a possible overdose of a male
Was that one of the entries in the sheriff's 911 calls?
When we first moved here I found reading the entries entertaining.
Now its kinda boring.
As I get further away from what is considered *normalcy* in the US I am
discovering what reality is all about.
There's a whole word of stuff out there just waiting, that cannot be found
through media sources but with your eyes, ears and other senses and its all
very fulfilling.
William ----Drawing with chalk on sidewalks That is known as vandalism-George Conklin
2007-06-17 16:11:47 UTC
Post by Don
Post by Pat
Post by Don
Post by Pat
[...]
Well this is all a relief before I thought you lived in isolated
habitats were you
have no sense of community and no friends. But really your small towns
sounds like cool
places to live. On the way up from Chicago we stopped to see where my
mom used to live in this small town
and it amazed me how when we drove by other people in their cars they
waved at us. I mean when Im walking down the sidewalks of Minneapolis
in a small neighborhood you'll get a friendly hello from people who
pass you by but never in cars. Thats most likly because you pass a lot
of cars on a daily basis in Minneapolis but I will admit living in a
small town is much friendlier then a big city. But if you read my
latest comment in "Rural,Why its perfect" you will see how
I love the city and appreciate a good rural area as well.
Michael Bulatovich
2007-06-17 19:42:28 UTC
"William ----Drawing with chalk on sidewalks That is known as
Post by William ----Drawing with chalk on sidewalks That is known as vandalism-George Conklin
On the way up from Chicago we stopped to see where my
mom used to live in this small town
and it amazed me how when we drove by other people in their cars they
waved at us. I mean when Im walking down the sidewalks of Minneapolis
in a small neighborhood you'll get a friendly hello from people who
pass you by but never in cars. Thats most likly because you pass a lot
of cars on a daily basis in Minneapolis but I will admit living in a
small town is much friendlier then a big city. But if you read my
latest comment in "Rural,Why its perfect" you will see how
I love the city and appreciate a good rural area as well.
On the other hand....that story reminds me of another waving story. Before
our child attached herself to the uterine wall, my wife and I had a last
fling in DINKdom (Double Income No Kids) and rented an island with a cute
1920's cottage on it. The island sat in a narrows between two wider more
open sections of the lake.

Every couple minutes (literally, on a nice day) a motor boat would fly by
through the strait on one side of the island, often at far too great a rate
of speed for the local flora and fauna. (The other straight was too
shallow.) Without fail, the 'pilots' of these boats would wave at us if we
were sitting on our dock in the sun and looked up at the noise. Without
fail, for several days at least we would return these waves, even though
these people were strangers, and 50% of the traffic was the same 5 guys,
going way too fast, over and over.

After a while, we just wanted to sit on our deck, drink quietly, watch the
loons when they weren't dodging these idiots, and swim when it got too hot.
We began to resent having to wave back over and over. We started averting
our eyes when a motorboat approached. Then one day I failed to avert my
eyes. I can't remember if I was lost in thought over some book, or just
sloshed, but I remember being startled when an unreturned wave seamlessly
transformed into the "Trudeau Salute". http://tinyurl.com/25m6x5

Cultures may differ, but human nature seems the same everywhere.
--
MichaelB
www.michaelbulatovich.ca
Pat
2007-06-18 02:06:00 UTC
On Jun 17, 12:11 pm, William ----Drawing with chalk on sidewalks That
Post by Don
Post by Pat
Post by Don
Post by Pat
[...]
Not only does everyone know everyone, but everyone knows everyones
car. So there's a transition period when someone buys a car to get
used to the new ride.
William
2007-06-18 03:18:06 UTC
Post by Don
Post by Pat
Post by Don
Post by Pat
[...]
I knew your town was small, but I didn't know it was that small.
On the street I live on, during non-rush hour traffic a car drives by
about every 3-5 seconds.
During Rush hour there is no pause, Its a high constant rate of people
driving back from downtown. Here is a
picture just outside of downtown, courtesy of google earth. Which,
keep in mind, took this picture about 4
years ago. Loading Image...

And just for kicks heres a nice one of my city
Pat
2007-06-18 03:36:35 UTC
Post by Don
Post by Pat
Post by Don
Post by Pat
[...]
years ago.http://img37.picoodle.com/img/img37/8/6/17/f_Picture2m_c30bfc4.png
And just for kicks heres a nice one of my cityhttp://img223.imageshack.us/img223/8865/n1282650088300113648710og8.jpg
This is probably the busiest intersection in the city -- at least now
the casino is built.
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=salamanca,+ny&ie=UTF8&ll=42.159841,-78.740247&spn=0.00268,0.00721&t=h&z=17&om=1
The building in the upper right is the combined high school/middle
school. The little, stubby "fingers" facing west are each one grade
(6th, 7th, and 8th).

Follow Broad Street to the east for a couple of miles and you get to
"Main Street".

Check out traffic levels.

then zoom to this level:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=salamanca,+ny&ie=UTF8&t=h&om=1&ll=42.121655,-78.684082&spn=0.343266,0.922852&z=10
The ENTIRE area to the south of the city -- all the way to the state
line is a state park. After that, to the southwest in National
Forest. To the north is State Forest.

Olean/Allegany to the east and a bit to the south is far-and-away the
biggest place in the county.

In Salamanca, a traffic jam is 2 cars in front of you at the traffic
light.

We still have 1 traffic light that from 10:00 pm to 6:00 am (or
thereabouts) it switches over from red/yellow/green to blicking red in
one direction and yellow in the other -- and that's on Main Street.

We have three traffic lights in the city.

Here's a town just to our south-west.
http://factfinder.census.gov/servlet/SAFFFacts?_event=Search&geo_id=&_geoContext=&_street=&_county=red+house&_cityTown=red+house&_state=04000US36&_zip=&_lang=en&_sse=on&pctxt=fph&pgsl=010&sh
Don
2007-06-18 10:59:25 UTC
Post by Pat
This is probably the busiest intersection in the city -- at least now
the casino is built.
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=salamanca,+ny&ie=UTF8&ll=42.159841,-78.740247&spn=0.00268,0.00721&t=h&z=17&om=1
Here's mine, but I live about 5 miles NW of the town, off Helmsburg Rd.
(they don't have *cities* here, everything is called a *town*)
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=salamanca,+ny&ie=UTF8&ll=42.159841,-78.740247&spn=0.00268,0.00721&t=h&z=17&om=1
William
2007-06-18 13:12:52 UTC
Post by Don
Post by Pat
This is probably the busiest intersection in the city -- at least now
the casino is built.
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=salamanca,+ny&ie=UTF8&ll=42.1...
Here's mine, but I live about 5 miles NW of the town, off Helmsburg Rd.
(they don't have *cities* here, everything is called a *town*)http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=salamanca,+ny&ie=UTF8&ll=42.1...
Heres a really nice shot of the city by a lake near my house.
Don
2007-06-18 13:31:26 UTC
Post by William
Post by Don
Post by Pat
This is probably the busiest intersection in the city -- at least now
the casino is built.
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=salamanca,+ny&ie=UTF8&ll=42.1...
Here's mine, but I live about 5 miles NW of the town, off Helmsburg Rd.
(they don't have *cities* here, everything is called a
*town*)http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=salamanca,+ny&ie=UTF8&ll=42.1...
Heres a really nice shot of the city by a lake near my house.
http://resmanual.labmed.umn.edu/images/content/info/minneapolis_from_calhoun.jpg
I can see how sitting and looking at a view like that can be captivating,
the quiet movement of the lake, the occaisional water fowl, the detailed
backdrop, perhaps a stunning pinkish-orangish-purplish-bluish sunset beyond.
Then reality crawls to the forefront with all its trappings as the aether
wears off.......
Don
2007-06-18 10:55:13 UTC
Post by William
I knew your town was small, but I didn't know it was that small.
On the street I live on, during non-rush hour traffic a car drives by
about every 3-5 seconds.
During Rush hour there is no pause, Its a high constant rate of people
driving back from downtown. Here is a
picture just outside of downtown, courtesy of google earth. Which,
keep in mind, took this picture about 4
years ago.
http://img37.picoodle.com/img/img37/8/6/17/f_Picture2m_c30bfc4.png
Looks much like the city I just moved from, after living there for the past
40 years, Cape Coral, FL.
Pop 150k, projected to be 450k in less than 20 years.
(the population there doubles every 10 years)
My greatest regret is that I didn't move here to Hoosierville 20 years
earlier.
Pat
2007-06-19 01:02:00 UTC
Post by Don
[...]