mixed emotions
Pat
2007-12-19 04:38:58 UTC
There's a holiday can drive at my son's high school. We use it as a
convenient excuse to clean out our cupboards. For example, I picked
up the wrong type of chili beans one day and the cans are just sitting
there, so woosh, they're gone. We didn't take out 25% of what we
have, but it was still lots and lots of stuff. Sure we would
eventually use the 4 jars of peanut butter, but I think I can survive
with only 2.

As we are loading all of the stuff up, I couldn't get over the feeling
that I was somehow giving "junk I don't want" to the less fortunate,
which made me feel sort of guilty. But I recognize that just because
I don't like a particular type of kidney beans it doesn't mean that no
one likes them.

Tomorrow we'll load up the van (thank gawd for mini-vans!) and head to
school with his one-man food drive. The first year he did this, he
hit 100 items. I don't think he's that high now, but he's got to be
getting close.
Ken S. Tucker
2007-12-19 06:13:37 UTC
Post by Pat
There's a holiday can drive at my son's high school. We use it as a
convenient excuse to clean out our cupboards. For example, I picked
up the wrong type of chili beans one day and the cans are just sitting
there, so woosh, they're gone. We didn't take out 25% of what we
have, but it was still lots and lots of stuff. Sure we would
eventually use the 4 jars of peanut butter, but I think I can survive
with only 2.
As we are loading all of the stuff up, I couldn't get over the feeling
that I was somehow giving "junk I don't want" to the less fortunate,
which made me feel sort of guilty. But I recognize that just because
I don't like a particular type of kidney beans it doesn't mean that no
one likes them.
Good for you Pat, I'm less fortunate, send you kidney
beans this way, I'll suffer by tossing in a bit of tomato
and onion and get chili out of it.
The real sacrifice will be that I'll be sleeping on the
couch, out-gassing.
Best Wishs
Ken
++
2007-12-19 07:50:18 UTC
Post by Ken S. Tucker
Post by Pat
[...]
add a half teaspoon of baking soda to the cooking liquid for those
beans to cut the gas
Post by Ken S. Tucker
Best Wishs
Ken
Michael Bulatovich
Body-functions...Vintage.
Ken S. Tucker
2007-12-19 18:46:30 UTC
Post by ++
Post by Ken S. Tucker
Good for you Pat, I'm less fortunate, send you kidney
beans this way, I'll suffer by tossing in a bit of tomato
and onion and get chili out of it.
The real sacrifice will be that I'll be sleeping on the
couch, out-gassing.
add a half teaspoon of baking soda to the cooking liquid for those
beans to cut the gas
Galina, you should be on TV with a cooking show.
The other day a saturday AM cooking show comes
on TV rated PG (Parental Guidance), that perked my
interest. Well these 4 gals did have nice low cut tops,
and I noticed some cleavage, and a bit of bouncy, so
all you need is big boobs.
I think every woman who is a good cook seems to have
big boobs....is that true?
Ken
Don
2007-12-19 20:59:38 UTC
Post by Ken S. Tucker
Post by ++
Post by Ken S. Tucker
Good for you Pat, I'm less fortunate, send you kidney
beans this way, I'll suffer by tossing in a bit of tomato
and onion and get chili out of it.
The real sacrifice will be that I'll be sleeping on the
couch, out-gassing.
add a half teaspoon of baking soda to the cooking liquid for those
beans to cut the gas
Galina, you should be on TV with a cooking show.
The other day a saturday AM cooking show comes
on TV rated PG (Parental Guidance), that perked my
interest. Well these 4 gals did have nice low cut tops,
and I noticed some cleavage, and a bit of bouncy, so
all you need is big boobs.
I think every woman who is a good cook seems to have
big boobs....is that true?
Ken
Rachel Ray has teeny little nubbins.
But don't let her go near that trailer hitch............

Pat
2007-12-19 14:36:21 UTC
Post by Ken S. Tucker
Post by Pat
[...]
If you cook them until they are done, you don't get gas. You can't
rush chili.
Don
2007-12-19 17:55:21 UTC
Post by Ken S. Tucker
Post by Pat
[...]
Drop a couple handfulls of elbow macaroni in there and you'll have *hoosier
chili*
Mmmmmmmmm.....
++
2007-12-19 06:24:59 UTC
Post by Pat
[...]
One time, I was cleaning out the pantry at a homeless shelter and most
of the stuff in there was outdated and dangerous and bent cans to the
point of wondering whether the intention was to kill the homeless or
feed them. At that particular place, the meals were made by the women
there with whatever was on hand and almost all of it was chancy, thus
the volunteer effort. Hit a big holiday like Christmas or Thanksgiving
and the pantry would be full of donations, but the rest of the year was
dearth city, and this was not in the most impoverished city, either. A
plastic shoe box full of spices is cool because homeless people like
flavor, too. Every once in a while, not near Christmas and not near
Thanksgiving, it is good to go out and get a buncha good deals on fresh
stuff and give half of it away. Or get some bread over there that is
not a week too old and white fluff. Bring over some ice cream or
yoghurt, some cocoa for the kids and soem marshmallows to float on top.
That said, the more the better and share the wealth. Anything helps.

This time of year, how about new toys, still in their boxes or shiny
plastic wrap? Maybe the 5500 piece puzzles that takes a long time to
complete, or a boxa legos. Not just the kids need stuff to occupy their
time and in some situations like when people are getting away from
abuse, noise can be intolerable.
Pierre Levesque
2007-12-19 14:21:41 UTC
Post by Pat
[...]
Muffin bottoms... you forgot to mention muffin bottoms! "Top o' the Muffin
to ya!"
http://tinyurl.com/yw4na7
noise can be intolerable.
Michael Bulatovich
2007-12-19 14:53:14 UTC
Post by Pierre Levesque
Post by Pat
[...]
How did we miss that? One link leads to another:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Muffin_Tops leads to:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kenny_Kramer leads to:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manhattan_Plaza which tells you

....federal government subsidies gave us Seinfeld? Best spent money since
the Marshall Plan!
Pat
2007-12-19 14:56:12 UTC
On Dec 19, 9:21 am, "Pierre Levesque"
Post by Pierre Levesque
Post by Pat
[...]
noise can be intolerable.- Hide quoted text -
... and "Butt Ash".

... a kid said to his mother, "what did the preacher mean when he said
that without God we are Butt Ash".
Don
2007-12-19 18:00:12 UTC
Remember to help the vets. ;-)
Don
Take the help wanted section of the classified ads in the paper.
Michael Bulatovich
2007-12-19 13:51:04 UTC
Post by Pat
There's a holiday can drive at my son's high school. We use it as a
convenient excuse to clean out our cupboards. For example, I picked
up the wrong type of chili beans one day and the cans are just sitting
there, so woosh, they're gone. We didn't take out 25% of what we
have, but it was still lots and lots of stuff. Sure we would
eventually use the 4 jars of peanut butter, but I think I can survive
with only 2.
As we are loading all of the stuff up, I couldn't get over the feeling
that I was somehow giving "junk I don't want" to the less fortunate,
which made me feel sort of guilty.
C'mon,Pat. Take your vitamin D, and cheer up. Someone's going to feel
grateful for free legumes. I might be able to see feeling guilty about not
helping.....
Pat
2007-12-19 14:57:43 UTC
Post by Michael Bulatovich
Post by Pat
There's a holiday can drive at my son's high school. We use it as a
convenient excuse to clean out our cupboards. For example, I picked
up the wrong type of chili beans one day and the cans are just sitting
there, so woosh, they're gone. We didn't take out 25% of what we
have, but it was still lots and lots of stuff. Sure we would
eventually use the 4 jars of peanut butter, but I think I can survive
with only 2.
As we are loading all of the stuff up, I couldn't get over the feeling
that I was somehow giving "junk I don't want" to the less fortunate,
which made me feel sort of guilty.
C'mon,Pat. Take your vitamin D, and cheer up. Someone's going to feel
grateful for free legumes. I might be able to see feeling guilty about not
helping.....
I was trying to figure out how someone works chili flavored kidney
beans into a Christmas dinner. I guess someone will....
Michael Bulatovich
2007-12-19 15:13:55 UTC
Post by Pat
Post by Michael Bulatovich
Post by Pat
[...]
I don't even know where to put the type of sentimentality associated with
Christmas on Maslow's pyramid

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Maslow%27s_hierarchy_of_needs.svg