Corn prices
Pat
2008-05-09 01:12:37 UTC
I was up the road talking to a farmer. The only corn he sells is at a
roadside stand. He planted LESS corn this year for sale. He figures
that corn prices are going to be so high that people will be buying
less, so he's planting less so he isn't caught with extra corn. Hmmmm.
Ken S. Tucker
2008-05-09 10:18:32 UTC
Post by Pat
I was up the road talking to a farmer. The only corn he sells is at a
roadside stand. He planted LESS corn this year for sale. He figures
that corn prices are going to be so high that people will be buying
less, so he's planting less so he isn't caught with extra corn. Hmmmm.
Duh, scratching head, maybe he's part of COPEC,
(OPEC for Corn), shink supply and boost demand.

In BC there are some excess lumber problems,
http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/news/business/story.html?id=20c4bb1a-a451-40a5-b579-265581f058ca
Note they geared up for high production, and are
taking a blood bath when demand collapsed.

When demand resumes (up-swings) lumber prices
will likely sky-rocket, because of the high cost of
increasing production.

It's even more complicated, because the company's
that make the saw-mill tooling are shutting down,
and the skilled labor is leaving for elsewhere.
Ken
Don
2008-05-09 11:52:19 UTC
Post by Pat
I was up the road talking to a farmer. The only corn he sells is at a
roadside stand. He planted LESS corn this year for sale. He figures
that corn prices are going to be so high that people will be buying
less, so he's planting less so he isn't caught with extra corn. Hmmmm.
Less is more.
That roadside stuff is going on around here all the time.
The farmer can grow 40 acres of corn and sell it to the gov't (ethanol) for
X and then pay taxes on the X.
Or.
He can grow 10 acres and sell it locally for X (due to gov't induced
increase in price) and keep all of it.
Its not rocket surgery.
The gov't long ago priced itself out of the market.
Kris Krieger
2008-05-09 22:11:50 UTC
Post by Don
Post by Pat
I was up the road talking to a farmer. The only corn he sells is at a
roadside stand. He planted LESS corn this year for sale. He figures
that corn prices are going to be so high that people will be buying
less, so he's planting less so he isn't caught with extra corn.
Hmmmm.
Less is more.
That roadside stuff is going on around here all the time.
The farmer can grow 40 acres of corn and sell it to the gov't
(ethanol) for X and then pay taxes on the X.
Or.
He can grow 10 acres and sell it locally for X (due to gov't induced
increase in price) and keep all of it.
Its not rocket surgery.
The gov't long ago priced itself out of the market.
And personally, I'd much prefer paying farmers directly for produce, even a
the same price, because it's not like most of them make all that great a
living by farming - plus, it's so much fresher, and usually just-picked, as
opposed to spending 3-7 days being shipped. And it's local.

I have to fine a farmer's market here (havent' yet), but in the past, I've
always gone to them, and/or local farmer's stands. The quality is jsut so
much better, and it benefits the farmers more.
Don
2008-05-10 02:13:46 UTC
Post by Kris Krieger
Post by Don
Post by Pat
[...]
There's a small mom n pop grocery store over in Bean Blossom about 1.5 miles
from here and along the way there is no less than 5 small farms that have
stuff forsale on the front porch - the honor system.
Corn: 25 cents an ear, tomatoes: 50 cents each, cucumbers for a quarter,
etc.
Interestingly the mom n pop has a small section in the produce area where
they sell the local stuff and its always less expensive than the brand name
stuff though some of it is not so purty.
My thinking is, it all ends up in the septic tank the next day so what does
it matter what it looks like?
FWIW I don't eat much corn, its all sugar = baggage.
Maybe 3 times a year and 2 of them will be corn on the cob.
Ken S. Tucker
2008-05-10 04:19:44 UTC
Post by Don
Post by Kris Krieger
Post by Don
Post by Pat
[...]
As a brat *Corn on the Cob* was my ABSOLUTE
favorite, hot dogs was a distant 2nd.
NEVER EVER disparage C-on-C in my presence.
I love it when wife freezes some and serves it at
X-mas time, yummy.
Ken
Don
2008-05-10 11:19:43 UTC
Post by Ken S. Tucker
Post by Don
Post by Kris Krieger
Post by Don
Post by Pat
[...]
Looks like they rotate the crops around here, one year its corn and the next
year its soybeans, guess it has sumfink to do with the nutrients in the
soil.
Soy facilitates corn and vice versa.
Anyway, we went to the county fair last year and what do you think everybody
was walking around chomping on?
Yep, butter-dripping con on the cobs. Mmmmmm....
Nuthin like corn butter dripping off the bottom of your chin and running
down your arms.
Amy Blankenship
Legumes feed the soil, and corn depletes it.
Kris Krieger
2008-05-10 17:58:55 UTC
Post by Don
.
Post by Ken S. Tucker
Post by Don
Post by Kris Krieger
Post by Don
Post by Pat
[...]
Soybean is a legume, so it takes nitrogen from the air and fixes it into
the soil in a form that other plants can use - sort-of like free
fertilizer.
Post by Don
Anyway, we went to the county fair last year and what do you think
everybody was walking around chomping on?
Yep, butter-dripping con on the cobs. Mmmmmm....
Nuthin like corn butter dripping off the bottom of your chin and
running down your arms.
I could do without the butter - I use a little butter on average MAYBE
once a month. I just lost the taste for it. If I need to "butter" a
pan, I use either X-tr virgin olive oil, or walnut oil (which is
lighter), or even lighter, almond oil if I have some on hand. If I want
to pan "fry" somethign like battered catfish (which is a PITA so I seldom
do it), I use grapeseed oil.
Kris Krieger
2008-05-10 17:50:44 UTC
Post by Don
Post by Kris Krieger
Post by Don
Post by Pat
[...]
Re: appearance, it's been said for at elast 3 decades that one of the
largest contributors to food prices in the US has to do with appearance -
if there is even the smallest blemish, groceries will often reject
produce because people "don't like the looks of it".

Interestingly, neither being completely unripe, nor hard as a baseball,
counts as a blemish - go figure...esp. givent hat fruit does NOT ripen
when it's picked green and left to sit - sure, some of th estarches
convert to sugars, but the fruit is not taking up any more water or soil
nutrients or anything. So it's not ripening, it's just aging.

Concommitantly, I read a couple months ago that stufies show the
nutritive value of crops is actually *declining*, because they're forced
to grow too fast and -yup! - picked while unripe.

Re: corn, I like it with grilled steak and white lima beans (I boil the
dried beans in low-sodium 99% fat free free range chicken broth). I l
like to pop teh cobs into boiling water for just a couple minutes, so it
gets just soft enough so the bits don't stick under my gums
(yeah, I know, what an old fart =:-o)
and eat it plain. No butter, yuck.

It's also good left in th ehusk, wrapped in foil, and grilled - it sort-
of steams.

It's not bad for you, it's just bad to eat *too much* (that includes 'too
often', because it is so starchy/sugary - OTOH, it's certainly no worse
than pasta or white rice...). It's fine as one small part of a balanced
and varied diet.
RicodJour
2008-05-09 14:12:05 UTC
Post by Pat
I was up the road talking to a farmer. The only corn he sells is at a
roadside stand. He planted LESS corn this year for sale. He figures
that corn prices are going to be so high that people will be buying
less, so he's planting less so he isn't caught with extra corn. Hmmmm.
Hmmmm, indeed. It seems Farmer McFudget slept through his
Agricultural Economics class.

Warm Worm
2008-05-09 21:27:29 UTC
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/10008698-king_corn/
http://www.vuze.com/app
http://thepiratebay.org/tor/4159370/King.Corn.2007.LiMiTED.DOCU.NTSC.DVDR-METHOD
Kris Krieger
2008-05-09 22:08:55 UTC
Post by Pat
I was up the road talking to a farmer. The only corn he sells is at a
roadside stand. He planted LESS corn this year for sale. He figures
that corn prices are going to be so high that people will be buying
less, so he's planting less so he isn't caught with extra corn. Hmmmm.
I'm not sure that makes sense - I'm sure he'd still sell for less than the
gorceries, whcih attracts people. Also, corn for food will be harder to
get as more and more is dedicatedto ethanol production (even tho' plain
ol' native Switchgtrass, IIRC, is more efficient, btu that's another
story). Prices are also up along with anything and everythign telse that
gets shipped by truck - higher fuel prices means higher checkout prices.
People still need to eat, and corn will still be cheaper than many other
things.
Amy Blankenship
I had similar thoughts...
Kris Krieger
2008-05-10 18:05:10 UTC
Post by Amy Blankenship
Post by Pat
I was up the road talking to a farmer. The only corn he sells is at
a roadside stand. He planted LESS corn this year for sale. He
figures that corn prices are going to be so high that people will be
buying less, so he's planting less so he isn't caught with extra
corn. Hmmmm.
I'm not sure that makes sense - I'm sure he'd still sell for less
than the gorceries, whcih attracts people. Also, corn for food will
be harder to get as more and more is dedicatedto ethanol production
(even tho' plain ol' native Switchgtrass, IIRC, is more efficient,
btu that's another story). Prices are also up along with anything
and everythign telse that gets shipped by truck - higher fuel prices
means higher checkout prices. People still need to eat, and corn will
still be cheaper than many other things.
I had similar thoughts...
Plus, corn is a *cultural* staple - I mean, who ever heard of a
picnic/cookout/BBQ without corn on the cob? No joke, corn is just
quintessentially *American* (as in all of th eAmericas), given it's
predecessor (teocinte) was native to Mexico and IIRC the area of the US
SouthWest, and maize was developed by the First Americans.

Corn, potatoes, and tomatoes.

(Wild rice was harvested by them as well, but rice is of course not unique
to the Americas.)

Anyhoo, seriously - corn is more than just a food, it's a cultural icon, a
symbol, as much a part of the American identity as other foods are part of
other cultural identities.
Warm Worm
Hey Amy, are the one I see online who's worked with Authorware?
Amy Blankenship
That is one thing that I do ;-)
Warm Worm