Brownstone houses
William (Formerly known as Mr.Cool)
2007-06-05 17:45:55 UTC
Hey all, so my oldest brother goes to DePaul in Chicago and that is
located in the Linkin park Neighborhood which is filled with very old
brownstone houses. Though a while back Linkin Park was a crime ridden
poor neighborhood, DePaul threatened to move out to the suburbs unless
Chicago cleaned it up. Now the brownstone houses go for about 3
Million a peice as before when they went for more around 30,000.
Anyways, I just wanted to see if anyone
here knew anything about brownstone houses cause I think their pretty
cool.
Amy Blankenship
2007-06-05 18:04:25 UTC
Post by William (Formerly known as Mr.Cool)
Anyways, I just wanted to see if anyone
here knew anything about brownstone houses cause I think their pretty
cool.
Just so you'll know:

"Their" is the possessive form of "they."

So, the proper way to use it would be like this:

All of Billy's former English teachers hung their heads in shame at his
apparent illiteracy.

"There" means a place far away.

Billy wasn't there for his grammar lesson.

"They're" is a contraction of "they" and "are."

I think they're pretty.

Hope this clarifies.
William (Formerly known as Mr.Cool)
That time of the month eh Amy?
Pat
2007-06-05 18:28:42 UTC
On Jun 5, 1:45 pm, "William (Formerly known as Mr.Cool)"
Post by William (Formerly known as Mr.Cool)
Hey all, so my oldest brother goes to DePaul in Chicago and that is
located in the Linkin park Neighborhood which is filled with very old
brownstone houses. Though a while back Linkin Park was a crime ridden
poor neighborhood, DePaul threatened to move out to the suburbs unless
Chicago cleaned it up. Now the brownstone houses go for about 3
Million a peice as before when they went for more around 30,000.
Anyways, I just wanted to see if anyone
here knew anything about brownstone houses cause I think their pretty
cool.
If you ever get to Albany, go see the NYS Capital. Then entire inside
is a carved stone with amazing detail
http://assembly.state.ny.us/Tour/?sec=stairs

The architect found a red/brown sandstone that was easily carveable.
But when exposed to humidity and air, the iron reacted and hardened
the stone. Really great building.
George Conklin
2007-06-06 00:33:32 UTC
Post by William (Formerly known as Mr.Cool)
Hey all, so my oldest brother goes to DePaul in Chicago and that is
located in the Linkin park Neighborhood which is filled with very old
brownstone houses. Though a while back Linkin Park was a crime ridden
poor neighborhood, DePaul threatened to move out to the suburbs unless
Chicago cleaned it up. Now the brownstone houses go for about 3
Million a peice as before when they went for more around 30,000.
Anyways, I just wanted to see if anyone
here knew anything about brownstone houses cause I think their pretty
cool.
New York City has thousands of bownstone houses. They were the home of the
well-to-do at the time of their construction.
Pat
2007-06-06 01:25:00 UTC
Post by George Conklin
Post by William (Formerly known as Mr.Cool)
Hey all, so my oldest brother goes to DePaul in Chicago and that is
located in the Linkin park Neighborhood which is filled with very old
brownstone houses. Though a while back Linkin Park was a crime ridden
poor neighborhood, DePaul threatened to move out to the suburbs unless
Chicago cleaned it up. Now the brownstone houses go for about 3
Million a peice as before when they went for more around 30,000.
Anyways, I just wanted to see if anyone
here knew anything about brownstone houses cause I think their pretty
cool.
New York City has thousands of bownstone houses. They were the home of the
well-to-do at the time of their construction.
I thought when Billy was on the "cities are great" kick you said that
they wre the massed produced housing of the era and that they were one
of the reasons that cities sucked.

BTW, how's that example coming along?
William (Formerly known as Mr.Cool)
2007-06-06 02:29:42 UTC
Post by Pat
Post by George Conklin
[...]
Why does it seem like every time I post something you guys turn it
into an
argument. And Pat, do you honestly think its just as easy to produce
an inexpensive
Brick house as it is to make a house made out of dry wall and stucco?
You guys seem to be
oblivious to the fact back in the era you keep referring to, "Mass
production" to them would cost
at least three times less relatively to how much it would cost us now.
Im not really sure what era your talking about but I think its the
Industrial Age. Well, back then there were no health codes, no minimal
wage, it was just
who ever could work the longest and hardest without quitting. Thus,
expensive things are made easier
so they cost less.
Well here it goes again, the never ending argument that you guys
have against me to say that
model housing is not mass produced.
George Conklin
2007-06-06 11:43:22 UTC
Post by Pat
Post by George Conklin
[...]
Brownstones were in fact the height of fashion for the well-to-do. Many of
them did have similar features, but then today they are still quite
fashionable.
Pat
2007-06-06 16:02:49 UTC
On Jun 5, 10:29 pm, "William (Formerly known as Mr.Cool)"
Post by Pat
Post by George Conklin
[...]
Oh cool your jets.

BTW, the reason for brownstones is the exact same reason for today's
townhouses.

Back in "the day" it was extremely expensive to extend utilities
because a lot of it had to be hand dug. Brownstones made sense
because it was the absolute minimum extension of lines, per unit. In
addition, since it was in a city (and generally near "the factory"),
the people didn't need lots for their horses and animals. An added
benefit is that the party walls save money and energy.

Today, the townhouse is the equivalent, but without the charm.
Pat
2007-06-06 16:12:26 UTC
Post by Pat
Post by George Conklin
[...]
George's previous comments on the subject were: "Cities have tons of
mass-produced housing. It is just mass production of an earlier era,
which looks cute today because a lot of it has been torn down."

Take it for what it's worth.
2007-06-06 16:39:22 UTC
Post by Pat
Post by George Conklin
[...]
Do you honestly think this Loading Image...
is going to look "Cute" in the next era? And in Linkin park, every
individual brownstone house is
completely unique from either the house next door or the one three
blocks away. Thats not my definition of
mass production, because when things such as ipods are mass produced,
they generally look the same don't they?
Pat
2007-06-06 17:19:09 UTC
Do you honestly think thishttp://www.martinfrost.ws/htmlfiles/us_suburbs.jpg
is going to look "Cute" in the next era? And in Linkin park, every
individual brownstone house is
completely unique from either the house next door or the one three
blocks away. Thats not my definition of
mass production, because when things such as ipods are mass produced,
they generally look the same don't they?
Chill, Bill

I twas quoting George. He said that.

I said, "Today, the townhouse is the (functional) equivalent, but
without the charm. "
George Conklin
2007-06-06 19:32:43 UTC
Post by Pat
Post by William (Formerly known as Mr.Cool)
is going to look "Cute" in the next era? And in Linkin park, every
individual brownstone house is
completely unique from either the house next door or the one three
blocks away. Thats not my definition of
mass production, because when things such as ipods are mass produced,
they generally look the same don't they?
Chill, Bill
I twas quoting George. He said that.
I said, "Today, the townhouse is the (functional) equivalent, but
without the charm. "
Houses today are much more functional than in the past. Charm comes only
with fashionable age.
William (http://psychologytoday.com/rss/pto-20050322-000002.htmll)
2007-06-06 21:39:58 UTC
Post by Pat
On Jun 5, 10:29 pm, "William (Formerly known as Mr.Cool)"
wrote in
Post by Pat
Post by William (Formerly known as Mr.Cool)
is going to look "Cute" in the next era? And in Linkin park, every
individual brownstone house is
completely unique from either the house next door or the one three
blocks away. Thats not my definition of
mass production, because when things such as ipods are mass produced,
they generally look the same don't they?
Chill, Bill
I twas quoting George. He said that.
I said, "Today, the townhouse is the (functional) equivalent, but
without the charm. "
Houses today are much more functional than in the past. Charm comes only
with fashionable age.
I would rather have a sweet looking house then an ugly "Functional"
house whatever that means.
George Conklin
2007-06-07 12:26:32 UTC
"William (http://psychologytoday.com/rss/pto-20050322-000002.htmll)"
Post by William (http://psychologytoday.com/rss/pto-20050322-000002.htmll)
Post by Pat
On Jun 5, 10:29 pm, "William (Formerly known as Mr.Cool)"
Post by William (Formerly known as Mr.Cool)
Post by Pat
Post by William (Formerly known as Mr.Cool)
is going to look "Cute" in the next era? And in Linkin park, every
individual brownstone house is
completely unique from either the house next door or the one three
blocks away. Thats not my definition of
mass production, because when things such as ipods are mass produced,
they generally look the same don't they?
Chill, Bill
I twas quoting George. He said that.
I said, "Today, the townhouse is the (functional) equivalent, but
without the charm. "
Houses today are much more functional than in the past. Charm comes only
with fashionable age.
I would rather have a sweet looking house then an ugly "Functional"
house whatever that means.
OK, but please remember that what was condemned 100 years ago as ugly is
seen as sweet and cute today.

I recommend the book "Main Street Revisited" by Richard V. Francaviglia
Published by The University of Iowa Press for a discussion this process. He
discusses on page 37 (ff) the Victorian influences on architecture and how
we have changed our opinions about such things and modified the architecture
accordingly.

Have you not seen pictures of Brownstones from the top? They are all ugly
tar roofs. The picture you linked to earlier of more modern housing is a
lot more attractive from the top than Brownstones.
William ( http://psychologytoday.com/rss/pto-20050322-000002.htmll )
2007-06-07 18:05:39 UTC
Post by Pat
[...]
Thats true, a lot of brown stone houses have nice brown brick in the
front where everyone can see, but then further back they use uglier
cheaper bricks.
George Conklin
2007-06-07 21:13:56 UTC
"William ( http://psychologytoday.com/rss/pto-20050322-000002.htmll )"
Post by William ( http://psychologytoday.com/rss/pto-20050322-000002.htmll )
"William
Post by Pat
discusses on page 37 (ff) the Victorian influences on architecture and how
we have changed our opinions about such things and modified the architecture
accordingly.
Have you not seen pictures of Brownstones from the top? They are all ugly
tar roofs. The picture you linked to earlier of more modern housing is a
lot more attractive from the top than Brownstones.
Thats true, a lot of brown stone houses have nice brown brick in the
front where everyone can see, but then further back they use uglier
cheaper bricks.
But check out the book too. It addresses many of the issues you raise in
great detail.

Amy Blankenship
2007-06-07 19:10:45 UTC
Post by George Conklin
I recommend the book "Main Street Revisited" by Richard V. Francaviglia
Published by The University of Iowa Press for a discussion this process.
He
discusses on page 37 (ff) the Victorian influences on architecture and how
we have changed our opinions about such things and modified the architecture
accordingly.
Have you not seen pictures of Brownstones from the top? They are all ugly
tar roofs. The picture you linked to earlier of more modern housing is a
lot more attractive from the top than Brownstones.
I don't know. When I was a teenager, I lived in a house with a tar roof.
In the summertime (and much of the rest of the year--this IS the South), I
suspect anyone who happened to be above where I was sunbathing out of view
of the street below might not have agreed that tar roofs are always ugly. I
suspect other teenagers do similar in places with flat roofs.

-Amy
William ( http://psychologytoday.com/rss/pto-20050322-000002.htmll )
2007-06-07 20:21:33 UTC
On Jun 7, 2:10 pm, "Amy Blankenship"
Post by Amy Blankenship
Post by George Conklin
[...]
Hey I go on my roof and its so steep when I set down the books I read
up their they slide down on their own off the roof!
George Conklin
2007-06-06 19:29:35 UTC
Post by Pat
Post by George Conklin
[...]
Most Brownstones were quite similar when built...from the outside. But so
what? Today trees make them look more acceptable. But when built, they
were stark too.

The row houses around Philadelphia were absolutely similar, and whole
industries have developed to give them somewhat different looks. They
advertise their services in the paper.
George Conklin
2007-06-06 19:26:21 UTC
Post by Pat
Post by George Conklin
[...]
So? Brownstones were mass produced? Who cares? No big deal. They were
the homes of the upper-middle classes of their times, and remain that, when
redone. Some, as on Brooklyn Heights, sell for multiple millions today due
to location.
Take it for what it's worth.
rotten
2007-06-07 16:27:46 UTC
Post by Pat
Post by George Conklin
[...]
Here I woulda' thought that "model housing" is housing that people
would like to live in as opposed to housing that people wouldn't like
to live in. I had no idea mass production had anything to do with it!