To Anyone Who Still Thinks HOAs Are a Bad Idea
Scott in SoCal
2008-02-26 01:54:19 UTC
2008-02-26 01:56:22 UTC
2008-02-26 02:13:29 UTC
2008-02-26 02:14:10 UTC
A hooker from the South.
John A. Weeks III
2008-02-26 02:24:53 UTC
Post by KK
Post by Scott in SoCal
http://www.flickr.com/photos/caural/2289848908/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/caural/2289848912/
what's a hoa?
Home Owners Association. Commonly found in townhouse and
condo projects, increasingly being found in suburban single
family home projects.

-john-
John A. Weeks III           612-720-2854            ***@johnweeks.com
Newave Communications                         http://www.johnweeks.com
KK
I had no clue.
Dave
2008-02-26 03:14:42 UTC
Post by KK
Post by John A. Weeks III
Home Owners Association. Commonly found in townhouse and
condo projects, increasingly being found in suburban single
family home projects.
-john-
I had no clue.
Keep it that way. Basically, you pay never-ending fees to your neighbors so
that they can dictate to you how often you mow your grass, how many vehicles
you can own, how many pets you can have, how many children you can have, how
often you can have sex, what positions you can have sex in, etc.

To the OP I'd say, if this house was my next-door neighbor, I'd still be
happy I don't live in an HOA area. -Dave
George Conklin
2008-02-27 00:03:42 UTC
Post by Dave
Post by KK
Post by John A. Weeks III
Home Owners Association. Commonly found in townhouse and
condo projects, increasingly being found in suburban single
family home projects.
-john-
I had no clue.
Keep it that way. Basically, you pay never-ending fees to your neighbors so
that they can dictate to you how often you mow your grass, how many vehicles
you can own, how many pets you can have, how many children you can have, how
often you can have sex, what positions you can have sex in, etc.
To the OP I'd say, if this house was my next-door neighbor, I'd still be
happy I don't live in an HOA area. -Dave
HOAs are now required in many cities for all single-family developments
over about 10 in size.
Dave
2008-02-27 00:14:37 UTC
So move out of the city. -Dave
George Conklin
2008-02-27 00:02:50 UTC
Post by John A. Weeks III
Post by KK
Post by Scott in SoCal
http://www.flickr.com/photos/caural/2289848908/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/caural/2289848912/
what's a hoa?
Home Owners Association. Commonly found in townhouse and
condo projects, increasingly being found in suburban single
family home projects.
-john-
So cities can avoid extending parks and other services to new areas,
Durham, NC now REQUIRES homeowner associations for any major project. HOAs,
by law, assume many of the duties of city government but without the
protections of the city. For example, we must buy private insurance on
required open areas and playgrounds, and even go so far as to hire private
police to patrol them.
max
2008-02-26 02:14:02 UTC
Post by Scott in SoCal
http://www.flickr.com/photos/caural/2289848908/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/caural/2289848912/
evanston?! no way, evanston isnt' thath kewl. nice vibrant palatte,
brightens up the 'hood.
Brent P
2008-02-26 04:29:37 UTC
Post by max
Post by Scott in SoCal
http://www.flickr.com/photos/caural/2289848908/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/caural/2289848912/
evanston?! no way, evanston isnt' thath kewl. nice vibrant palatte,
brightens up the 'hood.
I agree, that's just not evanston's worst of the city combined with the
worst of the suburbs style.
Rod Speed
2008-02-26 02:49:03 UTC
I'm not letting prats like you have any say what so ever on how I do my house.
aemeijers
2008-02-26 03:28:57 UTC
Post by Scott in SoCal
http://www.flickr.com/photos/caural/2289848908/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/caural/2289848912/
I'd rather look at tagger circus stripes like that, than at peeling
asphalt or cement board siding typical for that age house, or claps with
peeling or no paint. Houses like that aren't just found in the 'hood-
college towns have them too.

Hard to tell from the pictures, but aside from the garish paint, it
looks like they are keeping up the place.

aem sends...
Brent P
2008-02-26 04:28:09 UTC
Post by Scott in SoCal
http://www.flickr.com/photos/caural/2289848908/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/caural/2289848912/
I don't see why that is an endorsement of neighborhood busy body control
freaks. Do you really think such people are going to do anything but tell
them to 'f... off'? Meanwhile you have to live with the control freaks
telling you your house trim is the wrong color... that they have
researched it and your house's trim should be one point more green on the
RGB scale or some such bullshit.
KK
2008-02-26 05:35:24 UTC
Post by Brent P
one point more green on the
RGB scale
paints are in CMYK
Don Klipstein
2008-02-26 06:04:38 UTC
Post by KK
one point more green on the RGB scale
paints are in CMYK
I don't want to live where my exterior paint has to have color one tick
more (or less) magenta (or cyan or yellow), or where my front door has
wrong finish paint (too glossy or not glossy enough), or where I am not
allowed to operate "industrial equipment" (down to welding torch or
MAPP torch or propane torch or soldering iron), or lose points politically
within the HOA if my home is not kept to standards typical of "Better
Homes and Gardens".
I don't want to live where I can't come home from a date and kiss my
date in the driveway or on the walkway - whether or not it was a "first
date" or if I weanted to have a "date night" with a spouse, or someone who
would be my spouse if marriage laws my way were like those nationwide in
Canada, Spain and South Africa along with the "current status" of marriage
law in the USA "state" of Massechussets!

It appears to me that landlords are better than HOAs at respecting need
for one's home to be his/her castle! Better still, be a homeowner where
there is no HOA! (Hellacious Orifice-anal Association)
I would live in a cardboard box structure in whatever region under an
interstate bridge over a major river in/bordering a major city that has
neighbors living in such things before I live where a sub-municipal level
of government tells me that I painted my front door with the wrong kind of
white paint, or that I can't kiss someone that I was in love with or hoped
to have fall in love with me on my driveway or my front walkway!

- Don Klipstein (***@misty.com)
KK
2008-02-26 06:40:42 UTC
Post by Don Klipstein
Klipstein
I'm sorry but yer name is..... HILARIOUS!
Scott in SoCal
2008-02-26 15:08:07 UTC
Post by Brent P
Post by Scott in SoCal
http://www.flickr.com/photos/caural/2289848908/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/caural/2289848912/
I don't see why that is an endorsement of neighborhood busy body control
freaks. Do you really think such people are going to do anything but tell
them to 'f... off'?
HOAs are backed up with CC&Rs, which basically means if you ignore the
violation notices the HOA can fine you, and if you refuse to pay the
fines the HOA can sieze your property.

Eventually the problem WILL be solved.
Post by Brent P
Meanwhile you have to live with the control freaks
telling you your house trim is the wrong color... that they have
researched it and your house's trim should be one point more green on the
RGB scale or some such bullshit.
Think of it this way: it's one more authority for you to rebel against
and disrespect. :)

I've lived in HOA neighborhoods for the last 15 years (they are
ubiquitous in SoCal) and never had a violation or problem of any kind.
Of course, that may be because I love the way my house looks, and
don't have any burning desire to paint it purple or to cover it with
gang graffiti. :)
Brent P
2008-02-26 15:59:03 UTC
Post by Scott in SoCal
Post by Brent P
Post by Scott in SoCal
http://www.flickr.com/photos/caural/2289848908/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/caural/2289848912/
I don't see why that is an endorsement of neighborhood busy body control
freaks. Do you really think such people are going to do anything but tell
them to 'f... off'?
HOAs are backed up with CC&Rs, which basically means if you ignore the
violation notices the HOA can fine you, and if you refuse to pay the
fines the HOA can sieze your property.
Eventually the problem WILL be solved.
I think you missed something, the guy with zero equity in the property.
See they tell you to fuck off.
Post by Scott in SoCal
Post by Brent P
Meanwhile you have to live with the control freaks
telling you your house trim is the wrong color... that they have
researched it and your house's trim should be one point more green on the
RGB scale or some such bullshit.
Think of it this way: it's one more authority for you to rebel against
and disrespect. :)
Sadly I am the kind of useful person that gets roped into it and become
the 'authority'.
Post by Scott in SoCal
I've lived in HOA neighborhoods for the last 15 years (they are
ubiquitous in SoCal) and never had a violation or problem of any kind.
Of course, that may be because I love the way my house looks, and
don't have any burning desire to paint it purple or to cover it with
gang graffiti. :)
Change the oil in that vette of yours in your driveway and see how fast
that can change.
Scott in SoCal
2008-02-27 02:15:09 UTC
Post by Brent P
Post by Scott in SoCal
Post by Brent P
Post by Scott in SoCal
http://www.flickr.com/photos/caural/2289848908/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/caural/2289848912/
I don't see why that is an endorsement of neighborhood busy body control
freaks. Do you really think such people are going to do anything but tell
them to 'f... off'?
HOAs are backed up with CC&Rs, which basically means if you ignore the
violation notices the HOA can fine you, and if you refuse to pay the
fines the HOA can sieze your property.
Eventually the problem WILL be solved.
I think you missed something, the guy with zero equity in the property.
See they tell you to fuck off.
Good look up what happens when an HOA attaches a lien to a piece of
real estate and the owner refuses to pay. Do you suppose the homeboys
get to remain in the house once they no longer own it?
Post by Brent P
Post by Scott in SoCal
I've lived in HOA neighborhoods for the last 15 years (they are
ubiquitous in SoCal) and never had a violation or problem of any kind.
Of course, that may be because I love the way my house looks, and
don't have any burning desire to paint it purple or to cover it with
gang graffiti. :)
Change the oil in that vette of yours in your driveway and see how fast
that can change.
First of all, my driveway is sloped and not suitable for any sort of
work that requires raising an automobile. All such work is done in my
garage. And yes I have changed the oil in my Vette inside of my
garage; so far not a peep from anybody.
Brent P
2008-02-27 05:54:23 UTC
Post by Scott in SoCal
Post by Brent P
Post by Scott in SoCal
Post by Brent P
Post by Scott in SoCal
http://www.flickr.com/photos/caural/2289848908/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/caural/2289848912/
I don't see why that is an endorsement of neighborhood busy body control
freaks. Do you really think such people are going to do anything but tell
them to 'f... off'?
HOAs are backed up with CC&Rs, which basically means if you ignore the
violation notices the HOA can fine you, and if you refuse to pay the
fines the HOA can sieze your property.
Eventually the problem WILL be solved.
I think you missed something, the guy with zero equity in the property.
See they tell you to fuck off.
Good look up what happens when an HOA attaches a lien to a piece of
real estate and the owner refuses to pay. Do you suppose the homeboys
get to remain in the house once they no longer own it?
Yeah... mortgage company #1 is owned 180,000, mortgage company #2 is owed
another 50,000.... the lien from the HOA is what? $500. Yeah... good
luck. The HOA isn't getting jack shit and would spend more in lawyer fees
than they are owed. The lien alone is going to cost a few hundred bucks.
Door open?
Scott in SoCal
2008-02-27 15:15:32 UTC
Post by Brent P
Post by Brent P
Post by Scott in SoCal
Post by Brent P
Post by Scott in SoCal
http://www.flickr.com/photos/caural/2289848908/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/caural/2289848912/
I don't see why that is an endorsement of neighborhood busy body control
freaks. Do you really think such people are going to do anything but tell
them to 'f... off'?
HOAs are backed up with CC&Rs, which basically means if you ignore the
violation notices the HOA can fine you, and if you refuse to pay the
fines the HOA can sieze your property.
Eventually the problem WILL be solved.
I think you missed something, the guy with zero equity in the property.
See they tell you to fuck off.
Go look up what happens when an HOA attaches a lien to a piece of
real estate and the owner refuses to pay. Do you suppose the homeboys
get to remain in the house once they no longer own it?
Yeah... mortgage company #1 is owned 180,000, mortgage company #2 is owed
another 50,000.... the lien from the HOA is what? $500. Yeah... good
luck.
Doesn't matter if it's $1 - if they don't pay it, they can force the
house into forclosure to satisfy the lien. And they do - that's one of
the "horror stories" that people who don't like HOAs are constantly
regurgitating.
Post by Brent P
Post by Brent P
Change the oil in that vette of yours in your driveway and see how fast
that can change.
First of all, my driveway is sloped and not suitable for any sort of
work that requires raising an automobile. All such work is done in my
garage. And yes I have changed the oil in my Vette inside of my
garage; so far not a peep from anybody.
Door open?
At times. I don't leave it open too long, however, as there is a law
(not a HOA rule, but an actual city ordinance) which prohibits leaving
your garage door open longer than necessary. :)
Brent P
2008-02-27 15:34:04 UTC
Post by Scott in SoCal
Post by Brent P
Post by Brent P
Post by Scott in SoCal
Post by Brent P
Post by Scott in SoCal
[...]
Those people have equity. When you're talking about someone who decorates
his house such as the one pictured, odds are you're dealing with the
'sub-prime'. When someone has no equity, 100% financing and basically
paying interest only if they are paying at all, the HOA has effectively
has no recourse. They are last on the list of creditors by a long shot.

Go ahead, foreclose on them.... then deal with the banks (if they were
paying the banks at all)...

The laws for condo associations, home owner associations, etc were set up
under the idea that everyone had some significant amount of money tied up
in their property. A federal reserve dropping bags of money from the sky
and the resulting housing bubble fed by 100% financing threw a monkey
wrench into the works.
Post by Scott in SoCal
Post by Brent P
Post by Brent P
Change the oil in that vette of yours in your driveway and see how fast
that can change.
First of all, my driveway is sloped and not suitable for any sort of
work that requires raising an automobile. All such work is done in my
garage. And yes I have changed the oil in my Vette inside of my
garage; so far not a peep from anybody.
Door open?
At times. I don't leave it open too long, however, as there is a law
(not a HOA rule, but an actual city ordinance) which prohibits leaving
your garage door open longer than necessary. :)
So basically you have to hide in your garage to change the oil. I thought
so. Can't even enjoy the sun shine while working on your car. You can
keep your HOA crap.
George Conklin
2008-02-27 20:04:49 UTC
Post by Brent P
Post by Scott in SoCal
Post by Brent P
Post by Brent P
On Mon, 25 Feb 2008 22:28:09 -0600,
Post by Brent P
Post by Scott in SoCal
[...]
This is what usually happens. The other homeowners end up paying a whole
lot more to cover the legal and other costs associated with trying to
collect $300.
max
2008-02-27 16:17:30 UTC
Post by Scott in SoCal
Post by Brent P
Post by Brent P
Post by Scott in SoCal
Post by Brent P
Post by Brent P
Change the oil in that vette of yours in your driveway and see how fast
that can change.
First of all, my driveway is sloped and not suitable for any sort of
work that requires raising an automobile. All such work is done in my
garage. And yes I have changed the oil in my Vette inside of my
garage; so far not a peep from anybody.
Door open?
At times. I don't leave it open too long, however, as there is a law
(not a HOA rule, but an actual city ordinance) which prohibits leaving
your garage door open longer than necessary. :)
What the fuck is "necessary"?
--
This signature can be appended to your outgoing mesages. Many people include in
their signatures contact information, and perhaps a joke or quotation.
Brent P
2008-02-27 17:05:43 UTC
Post by max
Post by Scott in SoCal
(not a HOA rule, but an actual city ordinance) which prohibits leaving
your garage door open longer than necessary. :)
What the fuck is "necessary"?
The time the car is in the doorway when driven in or out. Anything longer
would be unsightly.....
Snowbound
2008-02-27 20:46:10 UTC
Post by max
What the fuck is "necessary"?
Well, you have to get your car in and out, don't you? And if you commit
suicide by carbon monoxide because your HOA is forcing you out of your
home, SOMEONE has to air the place out, don't they?
George Conklin
2008-02-27 20:03:45 UTC
Post by Scott in SoCal
Post by Brent P
Post by Scott in SoCal
[...]
I have news for you. Until it gets to forclosure, no one will bid on the
house, since it already is upside down. In the end, the other homeowners
pay for those who won't pay.
1100GS_rider
2008-02-28 05:16:28 UTC
That's appalling.
Sanity
2008-02-28 11:07:00 UTC
Post by 1100GS_rider
Post by Scott in SoCal
there is a law
(not a HOA rule, but an actual city ordinance) which prohibits leaving
your garage door open longer than necessary. :)
That's appalling.
Can someone enlighten me on something? Unless you are working in your
garage what is the purpose of leaving a garage door open.
Brent P
2008-02-28 13:52:18 UTC
Post by Sanity
Post by 1100GS_rider
Post by Scott in SoCal
there is a law
(not a HOA rule, but an actual city ordinance) which prohibits leaving
your garage door open longer than necessary. :)
That's appalling.
Can someone enlighten me on something? Unless you are working in your
garage what is the purpose of leaving a garage door open.
The point is to keep it open when you're working in there... but some
places have laws/rules that you can't work on your car outside the garage
or with the door open.... because its too unsightly....
kenji
2008-02-28 15:34:28 UTC
Post by Sanity
Post by 1100GS_rider
Post by Scott in SoCal
there is a law
(not a HOA rule, but an actual city ordinance) which prohibits leaving
your garage door open longer than necessary. :)
That's appalling.
Can someone enlighten me on something? Unless you are working in your
garage what is the purpose of leaving a garage door open.
ingress and egress to storage is why I might leave it open, airflow too
sometimes
Eric
Like when your piss jug starts to get rancid?
jdoe
2008-02-28 19:15:55 UTC
Post by kenji
ingress and egress to storage is why I might leave it open, airflow too
sometimes
yeah ya gotta love those fumes wafting throughout the house
Never argue with an idiot.
They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
KK
2008-02-28 23:53:04 UTC
Post by jdoe
Post by kenji
ingress and egress to storage is why I might leave it open, airflow too
sometimes
yeah ya gotta love those fumes wafting throughout the house
Wha?

What's house have to do with my garage?
jamie
2008-02-29 01:40:19 UTC
Post by KK
Post by jdoe
Post by kenji
ingress and egress to storage is why I might leave it open, airflow too
sometimes
yeah ya gotta love those fumes wafting throughout the house
Wha?
What's house have to do with my garage?
Ignorant suburbanites think everyone has attached garages.

Jamie
KK

I forgot about a garage that has a house behind and over it.
Scott in SoCal
Around here the lots are too small for detached garages.
KK
what are the dimensions?
s***@gmail.com
2008-02-28 18:11:08 UTC
Post by Sanity
Post by 1100GS_rider
Post by Scott in SoCal
there is a law
(not a HOA rule, but an actual city ordinance) which prohibits leaving
your garage door open longer than necessary. :)
That's appalling.
Can someone enlighten me on something? Unless you are working in your
garage what is the purpose of leaving a garage door open.
In my King of the Hill type neighborhood, if my neighbor leaves his
garage door open it means come over and have a beer. He treats his
garage as a den/workshop; he'll sit in his office chair and watch TV.
aemeijers
2008-02-29 00:55:03 UTC
Post by Sanity
Post by 1100GS_rider
Post by Scott in SoCal
there is a law
(not a HOA rule, but an actual city ordinance) which prohibits leaving
your garage door open longer than necessary. :)
That's appalling.
Can someone enlighten me on something? Unless you are working in your
garage what is the purpose of leaving a garage door open.
Ventilation. Drainage. Giving the droids something to watch while they
wait for you. Hiding the obscene saying painted on the garage door. My
garage gets Real Hot in summer, due to no insulation in ceiling, and
attic getting superheated. If I am home, I generally leave the door open
till after dark on days like that. (as do most of the neighbors)

Can you tell I am not a fan of HOAs? I'm harmless, and not a danger to
myself or others, but I do like to do weird projects at times. Damned if
some nanny is gonna tell me I can't.

aem sends...
KK
2008-02-29 01:01:13 UTC
In article
Post by aemeijers
aem sends...
the fuck is this?
Scott in SoCal
2008-02-29 05:38:42 UTC
Post by KK
In article
Post by aemeijers
aem sends...
the fuck is this?
It's his version of "Seacrest... OUT!"
Pat
2008-02-29 03:33:06 UTC
Post by 1100GS_rider
Post by Scott in SoCal
there is a law
(not a HOA rule, but an actual city ordinance) which prohibits leaving
your garage door open longer than necessary. :)
That's appalling.
Can someone enlighten me on something?  Unless you are working in your
garage what is the purpose of leaving a garage door open.
The purpose of keeping your garage open is quite simple. It's your
garage and you should be able to do as you want. The purpose of
keeping your door open is that it is your right.

Amy started another post says "What ever happened to property
rights". Well, this is exactly what happened. Somebody thought they
knew what was better for you than you knew yourself, so they stopped
you from doing it.

It isn't appalling that someone leaves their garage open. It's
appalling that someone would think that they have the right to tell
you to close it.

As for "not longer than necessary"; I'd love to see the definition of
"necessary". I think I'd find a reason to keep it open for weeks at a
time.
KK
2008-02-29 04:10:14 UTC
In article
Post by Pat
Post by 1100GS_rider
Post by Scott in SoCal
[...]
before you sign on a line and give some place your money all the rules
are pointed out. You know what you can do or can't do, in terms of
association rules.

So quit yer whining and carrying on.

the fuck?
John A. Weeks III
2008-02-29 04:23:11 UTC
In article
Post by Pat
Post by 1100GS_rider
Post by Scott in SoCal
there is a law
(not a HOA rule, but an actual city ordinance) which prohibits leaving
your garage door open longer than necessary. :)
That's appalling.
Can someone enlighten me on something?  Unless you are working in your
garage what is the purpose of leaving a garage door open.
The purpose of keeping your garage open is quite simple. It's your
garage and you should be able to do as you want. The purpose of
keeping your door open is that it is your right.
That may be true if you are in a detached single family home.
But if you are part of a multi-housing unit, then keeping your
garage door closed is both a matter of public health and common
sense safety, it can cut down on the number of insurance
claims that you have, and it helps property values.

The public health angle is keeping rodents out. In our townhouse
complex, we have one guy who insists on keeping is door open about
a foot. He says it keeps his house cool. That is the only building
in our development that has rodent problems.

The safety angle is that open garages gives bad people a place
to hide as they stalk your neighborhood. It also invites thieves
into the are since they can steal without even having to break in
if the door is open.

The insurance angle is frozen pipes. Units with tuck-under
garages often have pipes in the garage ceiling for an upper
level kitchen or bathrooms, and sometimes in the back walls
for the unit's utilities. It might be warm out when you open
the garage door, but temperatures can drop well below freezing
in a matter of hours here in Minnesota.

The property value angle is that potential buyers drive though
and make decisions about a complex very quickly. An open garage
door looks sloppy, and people might simply keep driving if you
have a neighbor who keeps their garage door open.

You keep your pants zipped up because it is sloppy to let it
all hang out. Do the same for your garage door.

KK
2008-02-29 04:28:20 UTC
In article
Post by John A. Weeks III
612-720-2854
here's a first!
Scott in SoCal
2008-02-29 06:04:31 UTC
Post by KK
In article
Post by John A. Weeks III
612-720-2854
here's a first!
No, Geoff is also from Minnesota.
Geoff Gass
2008-02-29 14:51:22 UTC
Post by Scott in SoCal
I haven't had a 612 number in like 15 years
Huey
2008-02-29 16:35:06 UTC
Post by Scott in SoCal
Post by KK
In article
Post by John A. Weeks III
612-720-2854
here's a first!
No, Geoff is also from Minnesota.
geoof is straight out of the movie "Fargo".
HUey
John A. Weeks III
2008-02-29 06:56:23 UTC
Post by KK
In article
Post by John A. Weeks III
612-720-2854
here's a first!
A first what?

KK
2008-02-29 16:57:11 UTC
In article
Post by John A. Weeks III
Post by KK
In article
Post by John A. Weeks III
612-720-2854
here's a first!
A first what?
-john-
someone wanting people to call them and letting that be known in a
usenet post
John A. Weeks III
2008-02-29 18:53:58 UTC
Post by KK
In article
Post by John A. Weeks III
Post by KK
In article
Post by John A. Weeks III
612-720-2854
here's a first!
A first what?
-john-
someone wanting people to call them and letting that be known in a
usenet post
I have used my real name and phone number in my .sig since I
made my first posting to USENET back in 1983. It isn't that
I necessarily want you to call, rather, if someone has business
with me, I want them to be able to get in touch as needed. In
all that time, I have yet to see someone abuse that information.
The advent of caller ID likely has something to do with that.

clifto
2008-02-29 19:01:04 UTC
Post by John A. Weeks III
I have used my real name and phone number in my .sig since I
made my first posting to USENET back in 1983.
You don't have a .sig, at least according to the article I'm replying to.
--
If they could invoke Dubya,
I can certainly call a jerk Hussein.
kenji
2008-02-29 19:10:40 UTC
In article
Post by John A. Weeks III
Post by KK
In article
Post by John A. Weeks III
Post by KK
In article
Post by John A. Weeks III
612-720-2854
here's a first!
A first what?
-john-
someone wanting people to call them and letting that be known in a
usenet post
I have used my real name and phone number in my .sig since I
made my first posting to USENET back in 1983. It isn't that
I necessarily want you to call, rather, if someone has business
with me, I want them to be able to get in touch as needed. In
all that time, I have yet to see someone abuse that information.
The advent of caller ID likely has something to do with that.
-john-
Holy shit. I just called him and said hello.

He sounds nice.
Mark Anderson
2008-02-29 04:47:43 UTC
Post by John A. Weeks III
The property value angle is that potential buyers drive though
and make decisions about a complex very quickly. An open garage
door looks sloppy, and people might simply keep driving if you
have a neighbor who keeps their garage door open.
I don't like to see fat ugly people walking through the neighborhood
either since they usually make the neighborhood look sloppy and thus
lower property values. Is there any way your HOA can keep them from
going outside during the hours when realtors typically bring customers
through the development?
Sanity
2008-02-29 09:36:22 UTC
Post by Mark Anderson
Post by John A. Weeks III
The property value angle is that potential buyers drive though
and make decisions about a complex very quickly. An open garage
door looks sloppy, and people might simply keep driving if you
have a neighbor who keeps their garage door open.
I don't like to see fat ugly people walking through the neighborhood
either since they usually make the neighborhood look sloppy and thus
lower property values. Is there any way your HOA can keep them from
going outside during the hours when realtors typically bring customers
through the development?
You're right. The HOA should have rules to eliminate fat ugly people from
the common areas as well as the stupid ones like you.
max
2008-02-29 04:37:33 UTC
In article
Post by John A. Weeks III
multi-housing unit, then keeping your
garage door closed is both a matter of public health and common
sense safety,
what are you talking about? Someone got into your meth lab?
Scott in SoCal
2008-02-29 06:02:53 UTC
On Thu, 28 Feb 2008 19:33:06 -0800 (PST), Pat
Post by Pat
Post by 1100GS_rider
Post by Scott in SoCal
there is a law
(not a HOA rule, but an actual city ordinance) which prohibits leaving
your garage door open longer than necessary. :)
That's appalling.
Can someone enlighten me on something?  Unless you are working in your
garage what is the purpose of leaving a garage door open.
The purpose of keeping your garage open is quite simple. It's your
garage and you should be able to do as you want. The purpose of
keeping your door open is that it is your right.
Then don't move to a place where you sign those rights away as part of
your CC&Rs.
Post by Pat
Amy started another post says "What ever happened to property
rights". Well, this is exactly what happened. Somebody thought they
knew what was better for you than you knew yourself, so they stopped
you from doing it.
No, YOU AGREED TO IT by purchasing a house in an associaton
neighborhood. Nobody held a gun to your head and made you buy it - you
did it voluntarily. If you don't like it, you should sell your house
and move someplace that has no HOA.
Post by Pat
As for "not longer than necessary"; I'd love to see the definition of
"necessary". I think I'd find a reason to keep it open for weeks at a
time.
In that case, I hope you enjoy paying lots of fines and possibly
losing your house. :)
Sanity
2008-02-29 09:32:51 UTC
Can someone enlighten me on something? Unless you are working in your
garage what is the purpose of leaving a garage door open.
The purpose of keeping your garage open is quite simple. It's your
garage and you should be able to do as you want. The purpose of
.keeping your door open is that it is your right.
So is 'passing wind' in public but that doesn't mean you should do it. Lots
of things are our rights yet we don't do them just for the sake of doing
them. All I asked is why would one want to keep their garage door open all
day?
Amy Blankenship
2008-02-29 14:18:22 UTC
Post by 1100GS_rider
Post by Scott in SoCal
[...]

------------------

I've got to disagree with you. The purpose of a HOA is so that people
who like to be told what to do and tell others what to do can live with
like-minded people. They all agreed to it, so if that floats their boat...
Sanity
2008-02-29 14:59:08 UTC
Post by Pat
Post by 1100GS_rider
Post by Scott in SoCal
[...]
Don't get me wrong. There are a lot of things that are bad with HOA's. A
Nazi on the board can make your life miserable. However saying that, there
are quite a few things that are good. Everyone's lawn is kept mown.
Driveways clean. Houses painted in acceptable colors. Now, if HOA's are so
bad see how their value is kept better than a stand alone house in many
cases.
I live in an HOA. This is my 3rd. I knew what I was getting into when I
bought the house. I carefully read the covenants and nothing about them
irritated me. The builder has some small sites right down the road where he
could put one house on each. The exact home in my development is worth
30-40000 more than the stand alones. Why? Everything is perfectly maintained
here, no pickups on the lawns, pleasant color scheme, etc.
I found in my 3 HOA experiences, the ones that bitched the most are the ones
that didn't read the covenants before purchasing. Whose fault was that?
Brent P
2008-02-29 15:44:04 UTC
Post by Sanity
Post by Pat
Post by 1100GS_rider
Post by Scott in SoCal
[...]
No retired people with nothing better to do than complain about anything
and everything? The flowers aren't the right color, the such and such
work was done wrong, such and such has to be done, the board is full of
morons, so and so's grass is 3mm too long, so and so's car looks bad, so
and so's dog is 3lbs too heavy, etc etc endlessly on and on..... I find
that hard to believe.
Sanity
That's bullsh-t. It's not that bad. Have you ever lived in an HOA?
Brent P
2008-02-29 18:19:04 UTC
Post by Sanity
Post by Brent P
Post by Sanity
Post by Pat
Post by 1100GS_rider
Post by Scott in SoCal
[...]
My experiences are from being on a condo board. I cannot believe the sort
of people I've dealt with are any better if they are living in house
where there is an HOA.
Sanity
2008-02-29 19:48:36 UTC
Post by Brent P
Post by Sanity
Post by Brent P
Post by Sanity
Post by Pat
Post by 1100GS_rider
Post by Scott in SoCal
[...]
Condos are 1000 times worse than HOA's. Yes, you have your bitchers and
moaners but in the main most people were ok. I was president of the board
for one year. We had one board member that thought he was Saddam Hussein. He
tried to make everyone miserable within the first few weeks he was on the
board. I called an emergency meeting and we fired him from the board.
Brent P
2008-02-29 20:17:26 UTC
Post by Sanity
Post by Brent P
Post by Sanity
Post by Brent P
Post by Sanity
Post by Pat
Post by 1100GS_rider
Post by Scott in SoCal
[...]
IME the worst people wouldn't bother with being on the board. They enjoy
complaining. Never really had much of a problem with other board members.
Although it was fun pointing the complainers to the empty board seats and
then having them shut up :) It would spoil their favorite sport to be on
the board....

Rich Greenberg
2008-02-27 17:08:41 UTC
[...]
Post by Brent P
Post by Scott in SoCal
Good look up what happens when an HOA attaches a lien to a piece of
real estate and the owner refuses to pay. Do you suppose the homeboys
get to remain in the house once they no longer own it?
Yeah... mortgage company #1 is owned 180,000, mortgage company #2 is owed
another 50,000.... the lien from the HOA is what? $500. Yeah... good
luck. The HOA isn't getting jack shit and would spend more in lawyer fees
than they are owed. The lien alone is going to cost a few hundred bucks.
The purpose of the lien from the HOA is not to get the $500, its to make
the house impossible to sell while it is in place.
--
Rich Greenberg N Ft Myers, FL, USA richgr atsign panix.com + 1 239 543 1353
Canines:Val, Red, Shasta & Casey (RIP), Red & Zero, Siberians Owner:Chinook-L
Retired at the beach Asst Owner:Sibernet-L
Brent P
2008-02-27 17:23:47 UTC
Post by Rich Greenberg
[...]
Post by Brent P
Post by Scott in SoCal
Good look up what happens when an HOA attaches a lien to a piece of
real estate and the owner refuses to pay. Do you suppose the homeboys
get to remain in the house once they no longer own it?
Yeah... mortgage company #1 is owned 180,000, mortgage company #2 is owed
another 50,000.... the lien from the HOA is what? $500. Yeah... good
luck. The HOA isn't getting jack shit and would spend more in lawyer fees
than they are owed. The lien alone is going to cost a few hundred bucks.
The purpose of the lien from the HOA is not to get the $500, its to make
the house impossible to sell while it is in place.
And this is good for the HOA when the banks are foreclosing exactly how?
It really doesn't matter though, because the big lender is going to get
everything and the HOA's lien will just be disregarded anyway.

The whole process assumes that there is money tied up in the property.
With home equity loans, sub prime mortgages, no money down, etc, it's
unlikely that the 'homeboys' even bother to make their mortgage payment
and even if they do they still won't have but pocket change in equity so
its not like being able to sell it hurts them. They are just going to
walk away.
Scott in SoCal
2008-02-28 04:42:06 UTC
Post by Brent P
Post by Rich Greenberg
[...]
Post by Brent P
Post by Scott in SoCal
Good look up what happens when an HOA attaches a lien to a piece of
real estate and the owner refuses to pay. Do you suppose the homeboys
get to remain in the house once they no longer own it?
Yeah... mortgage company #1 is owned 180,000, mortgage company #2 is owed
another 50,000.... the lien from the HOA is what? $500. Yeah... good
luck. The HOA isn't getting jack shit and would spend more in lawyer fees
than they are owed. The lien alone is going to cost a few hundred bucks.
The purpose of the lien from the HOA is not to get the $500, its to make
the house impossible to sell while it is in place.
And this is good for the HOA when the banks are foreclosing exactly how?
If nothing else, once the house is foreclosed on and the scumbag
owners are evicted, someone can go in and clean off all the graffiti.
Post by Brent P
It really doesn't matter though, because the big lender is going to get
everything and the HOA's lien will just be disregarded anyway.
Nobody cares about the money. What they care about is getting rid of a
hideous eyesore.
Post by Brent P
The whole process assumes that there is money tied up in the property.
No, YOU are the one assuming it's about money. The HOA already has
plenty of money thanks to everyone's monthly dues. What they want is
for the trashy-looking houses to be made presentable.
Brent P
2008-02-28 13:51:02 UTC
Post by Scott in SoCal
Post by Brent P
Post by Rich Greenberg
[...]
Post by Brent P
Post by Scott in SoCal
Good look up what happens when an HOA attaches a lien to a piece of
real estate and the owner refuses to pay. Do you suppose the homeboys
get to remain in the house once they no longer own it?
Yeah... mortgage company #1 is owned 180,000, mortgage company #2 is owed
another 50,000.... the lien from the HOA is what? $500. Yeah... good
luck. The HOA isn't getting jack shit and would spend more in lawyer fees
than they are owed. The lien alone is going to cost a few hundred bucks.
The purpose of the lien from the HOA is not to get the $500, its to make
the house impossible to sell while it is in place.
And this is good for the HOA when the banks are foreclosing exactly how?
If nothing else, once the house is foreclosed on and the scumbag
owners are evicted, someone can go in and clean off all the graffiti.
Then you get to deal with the people that bought it at auction.
Post by Scott in SoCal
Post by Brent P
It really doesn't matter though, because the big lender is going to get
everything and the HOA's lien will just be disregarded anyway.
Nobody cares about the money. What they care about is getting rid of a
hideous eyesore.
The point is the HOA's lien is meaningless in all respects under a zero
equity condition. People who don't have a monetary interest in the
property couldn't care less about some stinkin' lean. They aren't going
to sell the place.... they are going to adbandon it in the end.
Post by Scott in SoCal
Post by Brent P
The whole process assumes that there is money tied up in the property.
No, YOU are the one assuming it's about money. The HOA already has
plenty of money thanks to everyone's monthly dues. What they want is
for the trashy-looking houses to be made presentable.
Um YOU presented the weapon the HOA is using, the lien. To prevent a
sale, that is money, loss of the property. That weapon is neutralized by
zero equity. The only people who will care about the threat of a lien
are people who have money tied up in the property. Those with zero will
give the HOA the finger. Liens, etc are not a problem for them, they
are walking away eventually anyway.
Scott in SoCal
2008-02-28 14:53:44 UTC
Post by Brent P
Post by Scott in SoCal
Post by Brent P
And this is good for the HOA when the banks are foreclosing exactly how?
If nothing else, once the house is foreclosed on and the scumbag
owners are evicted, someone can go in and clean off all the graffiti.
Then you get to deal with the people that bought it at auction.
I'll take my chances.
Post by Brent P
Post by Scott in SoCal
Post by Brent P
It really doesn't matter though, because the big lender is going to get
everything and the HOA's lien will just be disregarded anyway.
Nobody cares about the money. What they care about is getting rid of a
hideous eyesore.
The point is the HOA's lien is meaningless in all respects under a zero
equity condition.
Why are you repeating yourself when your point has already been
addressed? The amount of equity is irrelevant - if the owners are
foreclosed upon, they are GONE, and whoever ends up owning the house
afterwards is going to clean all the shit off of it so they can sell
it and recover at least some of their investment. Thus, the original
goal of getting the house cleaned up is satisfied.
Amy Blankenship
2008-02-28 15:26:54 UTC
Post by Scott in SoCal
Post by Brent P
Post by Brent P
Post by Scott in SoCal
Post by Brent P
It really doesn't matter though, because the big lender is going to get
everything and the HOA's lien will just be disregarded anyway.
Nobody cares about the money. What they care about is getting rid of a
hideous eyesore.
The point is the HOA's lien is meaningless in all respects under a zero
equity condition.
Why are you repeating yourself when your point has already been
addressed? The amount of equity is irrelevant - if the owners are
foreclosed upon, they are GONE, and whoever ends up owning the house
afterwards is going to clean all the shit off of it so they can sell
it and recover at least some of their investment. Thus, the original
goal of getting the house cleaned up is satisfied.
What makes you think the bank is any more concerned about your HOA standards
than someone who lived there? Do you have any idea how long a lawn can get
when a house is in foreclosure? I do, since I have bought a property in
foreclosure.
Scott in SoCal
2008-02-29 05:42:06 UTC
On Thu, 28 Feb 2008 09:26:54 -0600, "Amy Blankenship"
Post by Amy Blankenship
Post by Scott in SoCal
Post by Brent P
Post by Brent P
Post by Scott in SoCal
Post by Brent P
It really doesn't matter though, because the big lender is going to get
everything and the HOA's lien will just be disregarded anyway.
Nobody cares about the money. What they care about is getting rid of a
hideous eyesore.
The point is the HOA's lien is meaningless in all respects under a zero
equity condition.
Why are you repeating yourself when your point has already been
addressed? The amount of equity is irrelevant - if the owners are
foreclosed upon, they are GONE, and whoever ends up owning the house
afterwards is going to clean all the shit off of it so they can sell
it and recover at least some of their investment. Thus, the original
goal of getting the house cleaned up is satisfied.
What makes you think the bank is any more concerned about your HOA standards
than someone who lived there?
They aren't. However, the process of making the house attractive to
buyers will undoubtedly involve removing all that unsightly graffiti.

Problem solved.
Post by Amy Blankenship
Do you have any idea how long a lawn can get
when a house is in foreclosure? I do, since I have bought a property in
foreclosure.
We aren't talking about an unmowed lawn here. We are takling about a
house covered from foundation to rafters in gang graffiti - including
the windows. Even aem wouldn't want to live next door to that kind of
shit...
Amy Blankenship
2008-02-29 14:11:09 UTC
Post by Amy Blankenship
Post by Scott in SoCal
Post by Brent P
Post by Brent P
Post by Scott in SoCal
Post by Brent P
[...]
No, banks typically let it sit in whatever state the previous owners left it
until it is sold. They might pick up some of the trash they left, but
that's about it.
Scott in SoCal
2008-02-29 14:29:38 UTC
Post by Amy Blankenship
Post by Scott in SoCal
Post by Brent P
Post by Brent P
Post by Scott in SoCal
Post by Brent P
[...]
I confess I am not intimately familiar with the process, having never
gone through it myself. :)

Assuming you are correct, and the bank sells the house as-is, who is
going to buy it? What do you honestly think the chances are that the
new owner will leave all that graffiti on the house?
Brent P
2008-02-29 15:36:01 UTC
Post by Amy Blankenship
Post by Scott in SoCal
They aren't. However, the process of making the house attractive to
buyers will undoubtedly involve removing all that unsightly graffiti.
Problem solved.
No, banks typically let it sit in whatever state the previous owners left it
until it is sold. They might pick up some of the trash they left, but
that's about it.
I confess I am not intimately familiar with the process, having never
gone through it myself. :)
Assuming you are correct, and the bank sells the house as-is, who is
going to buy it? What do you honestly think the chances are that the
new owner will leave all that graffiti on the house?
If my experience from the association side of things is any guide to how
the process normally works.... the property is sold at auction, it's a
cash sale. The banks do not have 'open houses' so the buyer doesn't know
100% what the property is like when buying it. This is why you have
stories of people finding dead bodies in homes bought at a foreclosure
sale. Like this one:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/chi-sun_fraud_0224feb24,0,5031285.story
"This house was a steal, How fraud led to this property changing hands 3
times as son of owner sat dead inside"

Basically the association will then have to go after the new owner.
Brent P
2008-02-28 15:32:33 UTC
Post by Scott in SoCal
Post by Brent P
Post by Brent P
Post by Scott in SoCal
Post by Brent P
It really doesn't matter though, because the big lender is going to get
everything and the HOA's lien will just be disregarded anyway.
Nobody cares about the money. What they care about is getting rid of a
hideous eyesore.
The point is the HOA's lien is meaningless in all respects under a zero
equity condition.
Why are you repeating yourself when your point has already been
addressed? The amount of equity is irrelevant - if the owners are
foreclosed upon, they are GONE, and whoever ends up owning the house
afterwards is going to clean all the shit off of it so they can sell
it and recover at least some of their investment. Thus, the original
goal of getting the house cleaned up is satisfied.
The lien doesn't do that. The lien from the association doesn't bring about
the foreclosure. The foreclosure is brought about by the banks. The
result is the same regardless of the association's lien. It's a
meaningless act.

Associations are rather quite powerless under the law. I've been through
his BS from the board side of it and the associations are rather
powerless. If the person has no equity they just ignore the board. The
banks will get to them LONG before any board legal action can.
Scott in SoCal
2008-02-29 05:48:32 UTC
Post by Brent P
Post by Scott in SoCal
Post by Brent P
Post by Brent P
Post by Scott in SoCal
Post by Brent P
It really doesn't matter though, because the big lender is going to get
everything and the HOA's lien will just be disregarded anyway.
Nobody cares about the money. What they care about is getting rid of a
hideous eyesore.
The point is the HOA's lien is meaningless in all respects under a zero
equity condition.
Why are you repeating yourself when your point has already been
addressed? The amount of equity is irrelevant - if the owners are
foreclosed upon, they are GONE, and whoever ends up owning the house
afterwards is going to clean all the shit off of it so they can sell
it and recover at least some of their investment. Thus, the original
goal of getting the house cleaned up is satisfied.
The lien doesn't do that. The lien from the association doesn't bring about
the foreclosure.
Sure seems like it to me:

http://www.ahrc.com/new/index.php/src/news/sub/article/action/ShowMedia/id/3251

However the foreclosure occurs, what matters is that it DOES occur,
the current scumbag owners will be evicted, and the "investor" who
buys the house at auction is going to fix it up in order to sell it.

Bye bye, graffiti!
Brent P
2008-02-29 06:57:29 UTC
Post by Scott in SoCal
Post by Brent P
Post by Scott in SoCal
Post by Brent P
Post by Brent P
Post by Scott in SoCal
Post by Brent P
[...]
nice trim scoup. Again, when you're dealing with the subprime, they don't
give a shit. The association's lien and attempt to foreclose amount to
nothing. The association could do nothing and spend no money. It's
meaningless act that just eats up funds in legal fees. It does nothing
when the owner has nothing in the property.

As to your cite:

"Not many people knew Sabina Anna Prioletta, a single, 37 year-old female
on government disability, weighing some 100 pounds at 5-2. She was
trying to survive at the poverty level on the disability payments. In
2001 she inherited enough money to buy a 924 square foot, 2 story
attached home"

<...>

"Three years elapse without any demands or notices for any payments. Then
in May 2005 Sabina is hit with a civil suit for back payments, but
beginning only in 2004. There was prior notice and demand for payment by
somebody saying that they were the HOA, "

<...>

--------
Seems like that was all about the money against an owner with 100%
equity. I'm talking about subprime zero equity people who would live in a
graffiti covered house and you're bringing up an example of a woman with
100% equity who couldn't pay her HOA assements.

So, like I said, the lien, the foreclosure, the whole 9 yards is
effective against people with equity, not those without. When you're
talking about a home decorated with graffiti you're probably dealing with
the later, not the former.

Your cite supports what I wrote, that it's an effective tool against
owners with equity.

BTW, call up the image of the sign on the right...

NO REPAIRS TO VEHICLES ALLOWED. IMMEDIATE $200 FINE.
Scott in SoCal
2008-02-29 14:33:40 UTC
Post by Brent P
Post by Scott in SoCal
Post by Brent P
Post by Scott in SoCal
Post by Brent P
Post by Brent P
Post by Scott in SoCal
Post by Brent P
[...]
Et Tu, Blennie?
Post by Brent P
Again, when you're dealing with the subprime, they don't
give a shit. The association's lien and attempt to foreclose amount to
nothing.
See? This is what I mean. It obviously CAN and DOES happen - it's
documented all over the Internet. I posted a link to one such case
last night. Yet, because you just LOVE to argue, you'll say that it
doesn't.

I refuse to get sucked in anymore.
Brent P
2008-02-29 15:57:37 UTC
Post by Scott in SoCal
Post by Brent P
Again, when you're dealing with the subprime, they don't
give a shit. The association's lien and attempt to foreclose amount to
nothing.
See? This is what I mean. It obviously CAN and DOES happen - it's
documented all over the Internet. I posted a link to one such case
last night. Yet, because you just LOVE to argue, you'll say that it
doesn't.
I refuse to get sucked in anymore.
Your cite doesn't apply because it was someone who paid CASH for her
home. I am talking about when the owner bought for zero down, interest
only, took out a home equity loan for all the equity, etc and so on.

You have no experience with the process. I've served on a board, I've
been through it from the board pov. There isn't jack shit a board can do
to someone who has no money in their property. All the laws work under
the assumption that the owner has financial stake in it. With the whole
zero down crapola there's a huge loophole that renders what a board can
do moot. All you end up with is a legal bill for a lien and maybe a
foreclosure that is behind that of the mortgage holder. Wooptie do. I've
had an attorney who deals with this stuff tell me straight up what it
would cost and that we could expect ZERO on the other side.

There's a new law in IL that allows an association to go after a new
owner for back assessments, but its vague and when I went through the
process, untested. I was told the first association to try and use it can
expect a $30,000-$40,000 legal bill.

The bank forecloses and sells the property at auction to an investor who
attempts to turn it around quick. The board then has to deal with the
investor and the person he sells it to. I haven't had to deal with a
property that was f'd up so I don't know how much an investor will fix
something, but my guess is 'as little as possible'. The investor won't
have the property long enough for a board to foreclose or even get a lien
on. A previous lien will be wiped out by the court after the foreclosure
sale for the bank.
Amy Blankenship
Have you ever seen the play _Raisin in the Sun_?
Scott in SoCal
2008-02-29 05:43:04 UTC
On Thu, 28 Feb 2008 09:22:00 -0600, "Amy Blankenship"
Post by Amy Blankenship
Have you ever seen the play _Raisin in the Sun_?
Nope.

Can you summarize the relevance?
Amy Blankenship
2008-02-29 14:12:22 UTC
Post by Amy Blankenship
Have you ever seen the play _Raisin in the Sun_?
Nope.
Can you summarize the relevance?
It's about a black family in the 50's who buy a house in a white
neighborhood. The HOA decides they wouldn't look good in the neighborhood,
so they chip in to try to buy the house from them...
Scott in SoCal
2008-02-29 14:37:32 UTC
Post by Amy Blankenship
Have you ever seen the play _Raisin in the Sun_?
Nope.
Can you summarize the relevance?
It's about a black family in the 50's who buy a house in a white
neighborhood. The HOA decides they wouldn't look good in the neighborhood,
so they chip in to try to buy the house from them...
Sounds like the CC&Rs were poorly written(*) in that neighborhood.
During that period some neighborhoods, such as Levittown, had deed
restrictions which explicitly prohibited selling the houses to anyone
who was not Caucasian.

(*) From the racists' point of view, of course.
Amy Blankenship
2008-02-27 18:32:42 UTC
Post by Rich Greenberg
[...]
Post by Brent P
Post by Scott in SoCal
Good look up what happens when an HOA attaches a lien to a piece of
real estate and the owner refuses to pay. Do you suppose the homeboys
get to remain in the house once they no longer own it?
Yeah... mortgage company #1 is owned 180,000, mortgage company #2 is owed
another 50,000.... the lien from the HOA is what? $500. Yeah... good
luck. The HOA isn't getting jack shit and would spend more in lawyer fees
than they are owed. The lien alone is going to cost a few hundred bucks.
The purpose of the lien from the HOA is not to get the $500, its to make
the house impossible to sell while it is in place.
That's kind of stupid. Making it impossible for the neighbors you hate to
leave...
Scott in SoCal
They are free to stay as long as they clean up that FUGLY house.
Amy Blankenship
They have to stay if they can't sell it...
s***@gmail.com
hth.
Scott in SoCal
2008-02-27 02:16:02 UTC
Post by s***@gmail.com
Post by Scott in SoCal
I've lived in HOA neighborhoods for the last 15 years (they are
ubiquitous in SoCal) and never had a violation or problem of any kind.
Of course, that may be because I love the way my house looks, and
don't have any burning desire to paint it purple or to cover it with
gang graffiti. :)
scott == pussy
If not wanting to tag my own house makes me a pussy, then I wear the
moniker proudly.
Snowbound
On your prominent labia, no doubt.
KK
2008-02-27 15:35:25 UTC
Post by Snowbound
Post by Scott in SoCal
Post by s***@gmail.com
Post by Scott in SoCal
I've lived in HOA neighborhoods for the last 15 years (they are
ubiquitous in SoCal) and never had a violation or problem of any kind.
Of course, that may be because I love the way my house looks, and
don't have any burning desire to paint it purple or to cover it with
gang graffiti. :)
scott == pussy
If not wanting to tag my own house makes me a pussy, then I wear the
moniker proudly.
On your prominent labia, no doubt.
a batwanger reference?

we haven't had one of those in a while
Snowbound
2008-02-27 15:57:22 UTC
Post by KK
a batwanger reference?
bwahahaha. Had to look that up. No, just wondering where a pussy would
proudly wear a moniker.
KK
2008-02-27 16:02:30 UTC
Post by Snowbound
Post by KK
a batwanger reference?
bwahahaha. Had to look that up. No, just wondering where a pussy would
proudly wear a moniker.
I like your style.

You should join us regulars in the newgroup:

chi.general

stop by and take a peek

we tolerate outsiders and newbies if you are respectful
Scott in SoCal
They're MEAT CURTAINS, baby!!
s***@gmail.com
2008-02-27 17:23:51 UTC
Post by Scott in SoCal
Post by s***@gmail.com
Post by Scott in SoCal
I've lived in HOA neighborhoods for the last 15 years (they are
ubiquitous in SoCal) and never had a violation or problem of any kind.
Of course, that may be because I love the way my house looks, and
don't have any burning desire to paint it purple or to cover it with
gang graffiti. :)
scott == pussy
If not wanting to tag my own house makes me a pussy, then I wear the
moniker proudly.
Paint your house a different shade of beige -- I dares ya.

New guy in my neighborhood has put a bunch of junk on his lawn for
decoration: an old wheelhoe, a fire hydrant, some old wooden crates.
My favorite is an archery deer.
Scott in SoCal
2008-02-28 04:46:30 UTC
Post by s***@gmail.com
Paint your house a different shade of beige -- I dares ya.
There are a whole shiload of shades of beige on the approved color
palette in my neighborhood.
Post by s***@gmail.com
New guy in my neighborhood has put a bunch of junk on his lawn for
decoration: an old wheelhoe, a fire hydrant, some old wooden crates.
My favorite is an archery deer.
There's a house in my neighborhood that has an old wheelbarrow in the
front yard being used as a planter.
u***@hotmail.com
2008-02-26 11:04:52 UTC
http://www.flickr.com/photos/caural/2289848908/http://www.flickr.com/photos/caural/2289848912/
Better that than paying money to a bunch of little Adolfs who scream
that your house isn't painted the correct shade of white, or try to
evict you from something you paid hundreds of thousands of dollars for.