Dirty Cities become clean (how?)
Mr.Cool (William) Defender of a complex life
2007-05-22 21:15:16 UTC
One of the things that draws people away from the city is how
some are so dirty, and polluted. Chicago is one of the dirties cities
in the country. It is also
very old. Is it inevitable that big cities well become dirty? Is their
any way
to prevent high traffic, dense areas from become polluted areas? Is
the only way to keep
a big city clean is higher taxes? My former old grade school recently
took the day and went out and cleaned about 25 city blocks. Is
organized volunteered cleaning days?
Joe the Aroma
People have to care about their community and want to see it clean.
George Conklin
As density goes up, it becomes harder and harder to keep anything clean.
Joe the Aroma
2007-05-24 01:15:15 UTC
Post by George Conklin
Post by Joe the Aroma
Post by Mr.Cool (William) Defender of a complex life
One of the things that draws people away from the city is how
some are so dirty, and polluted. Chicago is one of the dirties cities
in the country. It is also
very old. Is it inevitable that big cities well become dirty? Is their
any way
to prevent high traffic, dense areas from become polluted areas? Is
the only way to keep
a big city clean is higher taxes? My former old grade school recently
took the day and went out and cleaned about 25 city blocks. Is
organized volunteered cleaning days?
People have to care about their community and want to see it clean.
As density goes up, it becomes harder and harder to keep anything clean.
Well I think that as populations increase, people care less and less about
their communities. I dunno about density per se, but in large cities people
get more apathetic and cynical.
George Conklin
Many indicators show this.
Mr.Cool (Call me William if you would like) Defender of a complex life
2007-05-24 02:11:11 UTC
Post by Joe the Aroma
Post by George Conklin
Post by Joe the Aroma
[...]
I think thats right. When somthing is brand
new people want to make sure they keep it clean,
but as it slowly gets dirty, people don't think anymore
about keeping it clean as mcuh. Take my ipod for example, when I first
got it and
single move that might be harmful to it I would tense up. Now I don't
care
so much because it has a few scraches on it already so it won't make
too much more
of a differnce.
Pat
2007-05-24 15:59:48 UTC
On May 23, 10:11 pm, "Mr.Cool (Call me William if you would like)
Post by Mr.Cool (Call me William if you would like) Defender of a complex life
Post by Joe the Aroma
Post by George Conklin
Post by Joe the Aroma
[...]
Billy. Go read the book "Tipping Point". You'll enjoy it. There's
some interesting info in it. However, Freakonomics takes some of the
same data and draws very different conclusions from it. Sorry about
the Billy thing, but I couldn't resist.
Mr.Cool (Call me William if you would like) Defender of a complex life
2007-05-25 03:02:43 UTC
Post by Joe the Aroma
Post by George Conklin
Post by Joe the Aroma
[...]
Haha no problem. And thanks for the recommendation.
Im going to have more free time because tonight is my last night of
HW, tmrw my last day of classes.
Then my oral exams. But me and my friend plan on after school going up
on the roof, smoking cigars
and setting off sparklers. Should be a good way to start off the
summer!
Pat
Cigar are bad for you. Just ask Bill Clinton.
Pat
2007-05-25 03:52:49 UTC
Post by Joe the Aroma
Post by George Conklin
Post by Joe the Aroma
[...]
I don't actually "read" books and it drives a friend of mine
absolutely crazy. I figure that if the publisher doesn't care enough
to put it on CD (formerly tape), then I don't care enough to read it.
My friend doesn't think listening to CDs is reading. But I read all
kinds of things as I drive but the purist doesn't actually read
anything. So I guess somehow, in his mind, it is better to not read
real books than it is to actually read CDs. Go figure. People are
interesting.

(Side note. When I remodeled a few years ago, I needed more shelf
space so I took the books that I will never listen to again, to the
library. Great expression when I walked into the library will bags of
tapes. 99 tapes in that trip. Increased the number of title by about
a third. Since all books-on-tape listeners had already read
everything in the library, this was quite the boom for the other
patrons and the books on tape circulation spiked as people had new
things to read. The librarian, to his credit, recognized what had
happen. Now, our library orders more books on tape (and CD) than
books on paper. The books on tape collection is much smaller, but the
circulation is higher. Got to love those tapes/CDs.

A month or so ago I hoed out more of tapes. I took another 24
there. I have some more that need to go down.)
Amy Blankenship
2007-05-25 14:11:30 UTC
Post by Pat
[...]
Might I recommend that if you're ever tempted to get a David Webber book on
CD/tape, that you make sure it is the ABRIDGED version...

One thing I like about talking books is that you can listen to them with
another person, pause it and discuss the book.

-Amy
Pat
2007-05-25 14:36:37 UTC
Post by Pat
[...]
I'm not a big Harry Potter fan, but I listened to Harry Potter and the
Intolerably Long Tome, which went on for about 900 pages. My son was
having major reading problems so he read the book, in the car, as I
was listening to it -- mirroring it like someone reading to a kid.
After untold hours and 900 pages, his reading was noticably better.
It built up his "endurance", which was important. So while I don't
like Harry Potter, I at least have grudging respect for any 900 pages
book that can get a kid to read it.

The first couple Anne Rice books are good, but then they get boring.
How much can you do with a vampire.

Some Hemmingway is marginally okay, but some puts you to sleep as you
drive.

Good biographies work well for me.

Paul: The Mind of an Aposyle was a good read.

I'll read just about anything. I like some variety. There was one
book I didn't finish. It was "By the light of my father's smile" by
Alice Walker. She's a well-regarded author, but a book written from
the perspective of a black lesbian just didn't have what it takes to
grab me and make me finish it.

Interestingly, two books that I thought were great were "Reason to
Believe" by Mario Cuomo (liberal former governor of NY) and "What I
saw at the Revolution" by Peggy Noonan (speachwriter to Ronald
Reagan). I think what I like best about them is they they were both
superb speakers reading great writing that they had written for their
own cadance.

For my next read, I'm thinking about seeing if I can find a used copy
of Empire Builder about Robert Moses.
Amy Blankenship
2007-05-25 18:35:32 UTC
Post by Pat
I'm not a big Harry Potter fan, but I listened to Harry Potter and the
Intolerably Long Tome, which went on for about 900 pages. My son was
having major reading problems so he read the book, in the car, as I
was listening to it -- mirroring it like someone reading to a kid.
After untold hours and 900 pages, his reading was noticably better.
It built up his "endurance", which was important. So while I don't
like Harry Potter, I at least have grudging respect for any 900 pages
book that can get a kid to read it.
The first couple Anne Rice books are good, but then they get boring.
How much can you do with a vampire.
If I knew, would I admit it ;-)
Post by Pat
Some Hemmingway is marginally okay, but some puts you to sleep as you
drive.
Good biographies work well for me.
Paul: The Mind of an Aposyle was a good read.
I'll read just about anything. I like some variety. There was one
book I didn't finish. It was "By the light of my father's smile" by
Alice Walker. She's a well-regarded author, but a book written from
the perspective of a black lesbian just didn't have what it takes to
grab me and make me finish it.
Maybe a black lesbian vampire would have worked hehe...
Post by Pat
Interestingly, two books that I thought were great were "Reason to
Believe" by Mario Cuomo (liberal former governor of NY) and "What I
saw at the Revolution" by Peggy Noonan (speachwriter to Ronald
Reagan). I think what I like best about them is they they were both
superb speakers reading great writing that they had written for their
own cadance.
For my next read, I'm thinking about seeing if I can find a used copy
of Empire Builder about Robert Moses.
We just got Freakonomics, but my dog ripped my ear buds out in the woods and
one of the little rubber parts that makes it comfy fell off, never to be
seen. So I haven't heard it yet.

-Amy