How do you commute?
William ( http://psychologytoday.com/rss/pto-20050322-000002.htmll )
2007-06-08 23:18:23 UTC
I am interested in knowing what you take to work, and about how long
it takes you, and
anything interesting you notice or see on your way to work. This is
pretty open-ended. Well this past year me and my second oldest brother
drove to school commuting from Minneapolis to Bloomington. Its about
10 min on a good day, but if we leave later then 8:00 we hit major
rush hour traffic. Next year, both my brothers will be in collage so I
am going to car pool with the blessed few people who go to my school
in the burbs that live in Minneapolis. Right after school, with the
exception to soccer practice(Varsity Soccer Practice that is), I am
going to take the light rail home, transfer to the bus, take that to
Nicollet Ave and walk a block away to my house. This may take a while
but I can aways do my homework on the ride home.
Pat
2007-06-09 00:19:09 UTC
On Jun 8, 7:18 pm, "William ( http://psychologytoday.com/rss/pto-20050322-000002.htmll
Post by William ( http://psychologytoday.com/rss/pto-20050322-000002.htmll )
I am interested in knowing what you take to work, and about how long
it takes you, and
anything interesting you notice or see on your way to work. This is
pretty open-ended. Well this past year me and my second oldest brother
drove to school commuting from Minneapolis to Bloomington. Its about
10 min on a good day, but if we leave later then 8:00 we hit major
rush hour traffic. Next year, both my brothers will be in collage so I
am going to car pool with the blessed few people who go to my school
in the burbs that live in Minneapolis. Right after school, with the
exception to soccer practice(Varsity Soccer Practice that is), I am
going to take the light rail home, transfer to the bus, take that to
Nicollet Ave and walk a block away to my house. This may take a while
but I can aways do my homework on the ride home.
My commute is not quite as spectacular as yours.

I leave the house at about 7:00 and the dog and I walk down to the
trains stations. Usually we meet up with another guy and his dog
while there. We usually then walk about 1.5 to 2 miles, if the
weather isn't too bad. If we run too late, sometimes the train leaves
before we get back. That's pretty bad because then we have to wait
for it to clear the tracks before we can go back. But if it stops at
the next siding to drop off some cars, the brakeman will let us go
past him before he breaks out the cars that are being dropped.

Then we walk back. Now sometimes I need to go a little farther if the
dog doesn't do his business out in the abandoned rail yard.

It doesn't matter too much if I get delayed. The valley is beautiful
and this time of the year the sun has come over the eastern mountain
over in Kill Buck by the time I am out walking. There's a lot of dew,
though, so I usually wear my boots. Today the commute was bad,
though. There were lots of gnats out. Pesky little things that seem
like they have no purpose in life except to bug me. In the winter the
commute is shorter because it's too cold to go too far, the sidewalks
are icy, and the rail road doesn't plow its field.

Then I go home, hop a quick shower, and put on the coffee pot (one of
those that brews right into the thermal carafe so the coffee doesn't
sit on heat all day). As it brewing I hit the power switch on the PC
and start the workday.

Sometimes there are minor crisis on the way to work, like yesterday I
couldn't find my slippers. Today it was rather warm and I don't have
the AC installed yet, but I had to go run some errands so it wasn't
too bad.
Amy Blankenship
2007-06-09 04:19:46 UTC
Post by Pat
[...]
My commute is kind of similar, but I take my dogs (in three different
groups) with the goat down to the pond. I then take care of the chickens,
so the big commute is really back into the house after doing that.

Interesting events include noticing what berries and fruits are ripe, what
birds are visiting the pond, whether the turtles are on their normal sunning
branch, etc.

Pat, there are a lot of herbs that act as natural insect repellents, such as
mint. I find we have far fewer mosquitoes since we have chickens, but the
horse and deer flies don't seem to be affected.

-Amy
George Conklin
2007-06-09 13:30:28 UTC
[...]
Check with the census. They have good data on this topic for cities and
regions, by mode of travel. Data go back many years too. In general
commute times declined until 2000, and they either stabilized after that or
went up by about 1 minute. The average is about 10 miles in 20 minutes.
o***@hotmail.com
Oh, that we would have that between New Jersey and New York.
Pat
2007-06-10 00:53:28 UTC
Post by George Conklin
[...]
Hey Mr. "Never Misses The Chance To Miss The Point Or Not Answer The
Question"; the kid didn't ask about Census stuff. He asked how YOU
commute. You know, they guy who slides down the pole on his ivory
tower. You must have some phenomenal stories. What do yo do,
teleport or something.

BTW, I'll still waiting for my example.
William
2007-06-10 03:19:41 UTC
Post by Pat
Post by George Conklin
[...]
George is like the janitor from scrubs, aways lieing about his past
and never really telling the
truth to things. But I doubt any of you scholars watch srubs
anyways....

Joe the Aroma
2007-06-09 23:00:01 UTC
[...]
I have to drive from Allston, MA to Kendall Square in Cambridge because
there's no transportation option (and biking is dangerous as hell).
Baxter
2007-06-10 00:08:56 UTC
I pick up my tea and walk downstairs to my office. I check out the back
window on my way down stairs.
Free Software - Baxter Codeworks www.baxcode.com