Extreme commuters
Mr.Cool (Call me William if you would like) Defender of a complex life
2007-05-27 16:50:09 UTC
Today on the Sunday morning show on CBS their was a
segment about "Extreme commuters" were people commute over
200 miles every day to get from work and back. And who ever said
the thing about people commuting from suburb to suburb was right. That
is
the new thing to do. Just want to get you'r opinion and any other
information you
might have on this.
Pat
2007-05-27 22:29:10 UTC
On May 27, 12:50 pm, "Mr.Cool (Call me William if you would like)
Post by Mr.Cool (Call me William if you would like) Defender of a complex life
Today on the Sunday morning show on CBS their was a
segment about "Extreme commuters" were people commute over
200 miles every day to get from work and back. And who ever said
the thing about people commuting from suburb to suburb was right. That
is
the new thing to do. Just want to get you'r opinion and any other
information you
might have on this.
It probably happens more than you think.

I know a guy in town who used to work in Rochester. It is about 100
miles away. He had a small apartment there. It worked fine until
someone discoverd that he needed to be a resident of that location for
his job and he was an elected official out here. His new job is much
closer but doesn't pay as much.

I know another guy who works for the state who lives in Buffalo and
works in Albany. He, too, keeps and apartment.

My cousin lived in Boston and worked in Atlanta. It was years before
he found out that he even had a desk there. Let's just say he didn't
spend much time in the office. He was on the road 100% of the time,
so why did it matter where he caught the plane.

60 Minues did a segment, maybe a decade ago, about a DJ who had one
show (mornings I think) in Chicago and another in Houston or Dallas
and he flew back and forth every day.

Plus, Metro North goes as far north as Poughkeepsie and many people
take that into NYC. To me, that would be an extreme commute. Also,
there was an article in the last few days about the most expensive
house sale in the country out in the Hamptons. It said that a bunch
of people from NYC lived there and took a 40 minute helicopter ride
into NYC every day.

Check the Census and look for commute times. You'll see there are
lots of people who travel in excess of an hour each way.
George Conklin
2007-05-28 00:00:36 UTC
"Mr.Cool (Call me William if you would like) Defender of a complex life"
Post by Mr.Cool (Call me William if you would like) Defender of a complex life
Today on the Sunday morning show on CBS their was a
segment about "Extreme commuters" were people commute over
200 miles every day to get from work and back.
News always puts emphasis on the oddball situation. For the average
person, it is 20 minutes and 10 miles, quite a big difference.
Mr.Cool (Call me William if you would like) Defender of a complex life
2007-05-28 02:24:10 UTC
Post by George Conklin
Post by Mr.Cool (Call me William if you would like) Defender of a complex life
Today on the Sunday morning show on CBS their was a
segment about "Extreme commuters" were people commute over
200 miles every day to get from work and back.
News always puts emphasis on the oddball situation. For the average
person, it is 20 minutes and 10 miles, quite a big difference.
George they had to take buses. Couch Buses.
Like Grayhound etc.

Amy Blankenship
2007-05-28 01:09:14 UTC
"Mr.Cool (Call me William if you would like) Defender of a complex life"
Post by Mr.Cool (Call me William if you would like) Defender of a complex life
Today on the Sunday morning show on CBS their was a
segment about "Extreme commuters" were people commute over
200 miles every day to get from work and back. And who ever said
the thing about people commuting from suburb to suburb was right. That
is
the new thing to do. Just want to get you'r opinion and any other
information you
might have on this.
Some towns actually feel it is a point of pride that they have no jobs and
everyone has to commute out to work.

-Amy