Green stuff
Pat
2008-03-05 16:08:31 UTC
I just finished a funding application and they wanted the building to
go green. In fact, it has to be an Energy Star rated building with
some sort of LEED certification. They also wanted "smart site
design".

I tell you, some of the hoops the architect had to jump through were
just incredibly stupid. Like, you had to "buy local". So, if I buy a
2x4 from a local supplier I get credit. If I order a truckload from
Canada and have it brought down directly to the site, I do not. They
don't take into account that the 2x4s all started in Canada and the
"local" ones come down, went to a warehouse, got moved around, went to
the distributor, got moved around, went to the local lumber yard, got
moved around and then ended up on the site. It would have been much
more "green" to avoid all of the extra handling and transportation.
Ugh.

Smart site selection was just total bunk. So I run a sidewalk that
out to a main street to connect to the sidewalk. That's "smart" when
people would have walked on the grass, anyway. "Smart" is ALWAYS
being in a downtown location in a rural area because it's the only
place near services. "Unsmart" is any other community in the entire
county because they don't have a hospital (and "smart" is being near a
hospital). Grrrrrrr.

I haven't checked lately, but last time I checked there were no
"Energy Star" electric stoves. So, how do you make "all" applianced
"Energy Star".

Man, I'm glad I kept out of that end of the application and let the
architect pull his hair out over it.
Michael Bulatovich
Watchya building?
Pat
2008-03-05 16:58:23 UTC
Post by Pat
[...]
Watchya building?- Hide quoted text -
30 unit apartment complex in upstate NY.

Would be simplier to just paint it green and call it a "Green
Building".
++
Building".
Edgar
2008-03-05 19:36:17 UTC
Post by ++
http://shopping.yahoo.com/s:Ranges%20&%20Stoves:keyword=energy%20star:keyword=energy%20star
Think you missed the part where he said "electric".
--
Edgar
++
2008-03-05 19:52:38 UTC
Post by Edgar
Post by ++
http://shopping.yahoo.com/s:Ranges%20&%20Stoves:keyword=energy%20star:keyword=energy%20star
Wow, you're quick. I thought I hadda buncha lectric stoves then noticed
they were all gas and cancelled the post.
Edgar
2008-03-05 22:42:18 UTC
Post by ++
Post by ++
http://shopping.yahoo.com/s:Ranges%20&%20Stoves:keyword=energy%20star:keyword=energy%20star
Wow, you're quick. I thought I hadda buncha lectric stoves then noticed
they were all gas and cancelled the post.
Canceling rarely seems to do what it says. I've tried it before and posts
till show up.
--
Edgar
++
Used to work but these days maybe not once they are archived.
Secretia Green
2008-03-05 19:56:19 UTC
The multiple 1' iron grates are a small clue that these are gas appliances.
I happen to own the 48" range at the top of that page. I can tell you for a
fact that it is NOT an EnergyStar rated product, nor is anything else on
that page.
Building".
++
2008-03-05 22:51:55 UTC
Post by Secretia Green
The multiple 1' iron grates are a small clue that these are gas appliances.
I happen to own the 48" range at the top of that page. I can tell you for a
fact that it is NOT an EnergyStar rated product, nor is anything else on
that page.
Again, I posted without getting the leectric appliances up. I hitta da
send button before its time.
Building".
Pat
2008-03-06 00:36:48 UTC
Post by Pat
Post by Pat
[...]
Building".- Hide quoted text -
With electric stoves, you can't really be Energy Star. Energy Star
are the top X% of an item and all electric stoves are exactly 100%
efficient. So none are better than others. That's the problem.
++
2008-03-06 03:25:36 UTC
Post by Pat
With electric stoves, you can't really be Energy Star. Energy Star
are the top X% of an item and all electric stoves are exactly 100%
efficient. So none are better than others. That's the problem.
Actually, a recall when I speced a buncha solid element electric
stovetops that the fact that the solid elements retained heat longer
rendered them more energy efficient than yer average electric stovetop.
RicodJour
2008-03-06 04:35:00 UTC
Post by ++
Post by Pat
With electric stoves, you can't really be Energy Star. Energy Star
are the top X% of an item and all electric stoves are exactly 100%
efficient. So none are better than others. That's the problem.
Actually, a recall when I speced a buncha solid element electric
stovetops that the fact that the solid elements retained heat longer
rendered them more energy efficient than yer average electric stovetop.
Huh? BTUs in, BTUs out. That's how it works. There's no 'time
delayed' cooking. If the manufacturer is using that as a sales tool,
they're blowing smoke.

Pat
2008-03-06 00:38:57 UTC
Post by Pat
Post by Pat
[...]
Oh, btw, holy Mother-of-Pearl those things are expensive. I can do a
stove and refrigerator for less than one of those things. Eeeks.
Back to the spec book.
Michael Bulatovich
2008-03-05 18:58:36 UTC
Post by Pat
Post by Pat
[...]
hehe You wouldn't really want that. My planner works in one:
http://www.lisgardev.com/property/emerald.htm
...though that picture makes it look a lot more blue than it really is...
It's BRIGHT GREEN.
(Check out the color of the grass in the corner)