New Urbanism and parking of large or unusally vehicles
drydem
2008-05-03 17:01:46 UTC
All the new urbanism literature I see seems to gloss over any
potential problem with parking and declare that on street parking will
stop urban blight. This new urbanistic vision usually shows only cars,
mid size SUVs, and very small trucks parked along the street but it
never includesvery large vehicles or recreational vehicles. How does
New Urbanism (as a urban planning tool) handle/treat the parking of
large vehicles? Where did they all go? By large vehicles I mean those
vehicles that are over 14 feet long and/or over 6 feet high and/over
9.5 feet wide, e.g. School bus, large Winnebagos, boats on trailers,
18-wheelers, large off-road vehicles , and construction vehicles? What
about smaller trailers or popup campers? Does new urbanistic policy
usually ban the on-street parking of large vehicles? Is there special
designated parking area for commerical or recreational vehicles? If so
does the public or private sector manages such a parking facility?
Does it require a special zone? How much would it cost to park an 18-
wheeler there?
george conklin
2008-05-03 20:17:30 UTC
Post by drydem
[...]
The Calthorpe vision of New Urbanism in our planning documents shows NO
on-street parking at all. Rather, if you have one, it would be in an
alley-way behind your house.