It's a bird, it's a plane, it's a royal pain
Pat
2007-06-20 17:01:45 UTC
From the Buffalo News
http://www.buffalonews.com/home/story/102610.html
Michael Bulatovich
2007-06-20 17:43:47 UTC
Post by Pat
From the Buffalo News
http://www.buffalonews.com/home/story/102610.html
Just remember this when the next developer makes a pot full of money on
another projects somewhere else.
William
2007-06-21 13:58:50 UTC
Post by Michael Bulatovich
Post by Pat
From the Buffalo News
http://www.buffalonews.com/home/story/102610.html
Just remember this when the next developer makes a pot full of money on
another projects somewhere else.
The Henslow's sparrow
Stopping the white ghetto, one development at a time.
William
2007-06-21 14:08:44 UTC
Post by William
Post by Michael Bulatovich
Post by Pat
From the Buffalo News
http://www.buffalonews.com/home/story/102610.html
Just remember this when the next developer makes a pot full of money on
another projects somewhere else.
The Henslow's sparrow
Stopping the white ghetto, one development at a time.
We don't need any more housing development. By this rate in the near
future there
will be no rural envionment. It will just be all developed land.
Recently in Hastings,MN a Wal*Mart was built. Great right? Now they
can do all there one stop shopping. Hasting,MN is a very rural area
with many old farm houses, or was. Every time I go past Hastings I see
more and more concrete, asphalt and Model Town houses and less and
less farmland. Think this is a good thing?
Don
2007-06-21 14:13:36 UTC
Post by William
We don't need any more housing development.
YOU don't get to make choices for other people.
Let them make their own choices.

By this rate in the near
Post by William
future there
will be no rural envionment.
Thats none of your business.
You can only be concerned with things YOU own.

Post by William
Recently in Hastings,MN a Wal*Mart was built. Great right?
Drive by any Walmart and look at the parking lot.
THAT will show whether it is great or not.

Now they
Post by William
can do all there one stop shopping. Hasting,MN is a very rural area
with many old farm houses, or was.
Can we assume the OWNERS of the old farm houses were compensated for their
properties?
Or did Walmart steal them?

Post by William
more and more concrete, asphalt and Model Town houses and less and
less farmland. Think this is a good thing?
If it bothers you that OTHER people do with their property as THEY see fit
then maybe you should avoid going near those things.
William
2007-06-21 14:32:30 UTC
Post by William
more and more concrete, asphalt and Model Town houses and less and
less farmland. Think this is a good thing?
If it bothers you that OTHER people do with their property as THEY see fit
then maybe you should avoid going near those things.
Well sorry if I prefer to see the country side rather then a tangled
area consisting of
model houses that are all exactly the same. The only reason
*Developers* are gobbling up
the country side is because they make a lot of money by doing it. I
don't know what you people
in your isolated towns and suburbs think, but I prefer quality to
quantity. Meaning I would rather have nice diverse modern housing
gobbling up rural American then mass produced cheap houses. I don't
care where it is, it could be in the city, suburbs or the
country,either way model housing sucks big time. One of the ugliest
things the prosperous modern man can has made.
Don
2007-06-21 20:44:38 UTC
Post by William
Meaning I would rather have nice diverse modern housing
gobbling up rural American then mass produced cheap houses. I don't
care where it is, it could be in the city, suburbs or the
country,either way model housing sucks big time.
Are you king William ?
I'll suggest you purchase as much propety as you want and do with it as you
please, and respect others right to do likewise.
George Conklin
2007-06-22 12:29:08 UTC
Post by Don
Post by William
Meaning I would rather have nice diverse modern housing
gobbling up rural American then mass produced cheap houses. I don't
care where it is, it could be in the city, suburbs or the
country,either way model housing sucks big time.
Are you king William ?
I'll suggest you purchase as much propety as you want and do with it as you
please, and respect others right to do likewise.
Gobble up? That is the kind of planner-speak needed to justify making
them the czar of housing.
Don
he sed czar. LOL
RicodJour
2007-06-21 15:10:49 UTC
Post by William
more and more concrete, asphalt and Model Town houses and less and
less farmland. Think this is a good thing?
If it bothers you that OTHER people do with their property as THEY see fit
then maybe you should avoid going near those things.
Right. That's why you moved and why you posted just recently on the
shit housing they're putting up where you used to live.

Don
2007-06-21 18:08:38 UTC
Post by RicodJour
Post by William
more and more concrete, asphalt and Model Town houses and less and
less farmland. Think this is a good thing?
If it bothers you that OTHER people do with their property as THEY see fit
then maybe you should avoid going near those things.
Right. That's why you moved and why you posted just recently on the
shit housing they're putting up where you used to live.
Precisely, I avoid going near the things I dislike.
William seems to dislike Walmart simply because its Walmart.
If Walmart was anywhere near as bad as a minority of people claim it would
have went out of biz long ago.
Apparently though, Walmart pleases MORE people than it displeases.
The closest one to me is about 45 mins away, just came back from there, and
I wish there was one closer.
RicodJour
2007-06-21 18:27:09 UTC
Post by Don
Post by RicodJour
Post by William
more and more concrete, asphalt and Model Town houses and less and
less farmland. Think this is a good thing?
If it bothers you that OTHER people do with their property as THEY see fit
then maybe you should avoid going near those things.
Right. That's why you moved and why you posted just recently on the
shit housing they're putting up where you used to live.
I'm not seeing the difference in William's complaint and yours. Mind
spelling it out?
Post by Don
Precisely, I avoid going near the things I dislike.
William seems to dislike Walmart simply because its Walmart.
If Walmart was anywhere near as bad as a minority of people claim it would
have went out of biz long ago.
Apparently though, Walmart pleases MORE people than it displeases.
The closest one to me is about 45 mins away, just came back from there, and
I wish there was one closer.
Now it's a democracy - a popularity contest? Walmart makes Home Depot
look like the poster child for compassion. Junior America has no
nifonging clue what their Super Low Prices! purchases are doing to
them and the country, just as honking big mortgages are a good thing
to them (Gee! Look at how much home I can afford! Uh, oh...well,
almost!)

Don
2007-06-21 21:10:40 UTC
Post by RicodJour
Post by Don
Post by RicodJour
Post by William
more and more concrete, asphalt and Model Town houses and less and
less farmland. Think this is a good thing?
If it bothers you that OTHER people do with their property as THEY see fit
then maybe you should avoid going near those things.
Right. That's why you moved and why you posted just recently on the
shit housing they're putting up where you used to live.
I'm not seeing the difference in William's complaint and yours. Mind
spelling it out?
The diff is that he's complaining, I am not.
I don't mind the 45 min drive to Walmart.
He, on the otherhand, doesn't even want to see one, ever apparently. <shrug>
Post by RicodJour
Post by Don
Precisely, I avoid going near the things I dislike.
William seems to dislike Walmart simply because its Walmart.
If Walmart was anywhere near as bad as a minority of people claim it would
have went out of biz long ago.
Apparently though, Walmart pleases MORE people than it displeases.
The closest one to me is about 45 mins away, just came back from there, and
I wish there was one closer.
Now it's a democracy - a popularity contest? Walmart makes Home Depot
look like the poster child for compassion. Junior America has no
nifonging clue what their Super Low Prices! purchases are doing to
them and the country, just as honking big mortgages are a good thing
to them (Gee! Look at how much home I can afford! Uh, oh...well,
almost!)
I just paid $16.26 for a 22lb bag of Iams mini-chunks for my 2 gurlz and it
will last 2 months.
Why am I not seeing a problem here?
I could have bought the same bag at the mom & pop down the road for $19.95,
but I was already going to the Menards right next to the Walmart for more
pressure treated lumber for my project.
I'll conservatively estimate that for every unwarranted complaint against
Walmart there are at least 1000 people that shop there regularly.
I have never heard a person complain, in person, about Walmart.
I am only aware of complainers on the web, usenet, and on TV.
Maybe they are all fictitious?
William
2007-06-21 23:12:30 UTC
Post by Don
Post by RicodJour
Post by Don
Post by RicodJour
Post by RicodJour
Post by Don
[...]
You know Woodrow Wilson was right. If you want to create some enemies,
try to change something.
I myself will someday end up living in a suburb just because its costs
so much to live in the city.
Well if or when I do move into the suburbs, I pray that my neighbor
doesn't have the same exact house design as I do. See for me, I like
diversity in things other then just race and culture.
Don
2007-06-21 23:29:00 UTC
Post by William
You know Woodrow Wilson was right. If you want to create some enemies,
try to change something.
I myself will someday end up living in a suburb just because its costs
so much to live in the city.
Everything costs 8 times as much as it should.
Post by William
Well if or when I do move into the suburbs, I pray that my neighbor
doesn't have the same exact house design as I do.
Plan on being disappointed, unless you have a lot of money.

See for me, I like
Post by William
diversity in things other then just race and culture.
I've never wasted much time on those silly words, diversity, race, culture,
as they are meaningless and hollow.
What I have done though was strive for what I like and everyone else be
damned.
Built my dream home 5 years ago and now it is surrounded by cookie cutters,
occupied by braindead automatrons.
We fled just in time.
Now I'm starting all over again.
William
2007-06-22 13:13:54 UTC
Post by Don
I've never wasted much time on those silly words, diversity, race, culture,
as they are meaningless and hollow.
In midtown we have this place called the global food
market. Loading Image...
There they have all kinds of different delicious foods from all over
the country. *Authentic* , Like when I say Mexican food, I mean
Mexican food, not Taco Bell. This represents all threes of those so
called "Silly" words. They are only meaningless and hollow if where
the place you live is meaningless and hollow. Example, if you live in
a white isolated ghetto with no sense of community within it, those
words will be pointless to you as you have no present sense of them.
Please is there anyone else here who things diversity and culture
is a good thing?
Don
2007-06-22 14:04:26 UTC
Post by William
http://www.metrocouncil.org/Directions/transit/images_transit/HopMidtown.jpg
There they have all kinds of different delicious foods from all over
the country. *Authentic* , Like when I say Mexican food, I mean
Mexican food, not Taco Bell. This represents all threes of those so
called "Silly" words. They are only meaningless and hollow if where
the place you live is meaningless and hollow. Example, if you live in
a white isolated ghetto with no sense of community within it, those
words will be pointless to you as you have no present sense of them.
Please is there anyone else here who things diversity and culture
is a good thing?
I saw a negro the other day, he is the friend of a friend.
He didn't have a .25 Raven and he didn't try to addict me to krak.
Everything else is man-made and transparent, childishly so.
I don't play that pigeon hole stuff William and instantly dismiss
automatrons that act that way.
Simply, I don't care about goofy differences and reject people that
prioritize them.
Unless you're just joking and if so, LOL.
Pat
2007-06-22 14:44:08 UTC
Post by Don
Post by William
Post by Don
[...]
Billy is okay, but has a twisted attitude on things. I've told him
before that he has confused shopping/entertainment with with culture.
A market is not cultural, it is shopping.
Don
2007-06-22 15:36:09 UTC
Post by Pat
Post by Don
Post by William
Post by Don
[...]
I suspect he is young and thus I have not issued him a full bodyslam. yet.
LOL
RicodJour
2007-06-22 01:50:29 UTC
Post by Don
Post by RicodJour
Now it's a democracy - a popularity contest? Walmart makes Home Depot
look like the poster child for compassion. Junior America has no
nifonging clue what their Super Low Prices! purchases are doing to
them and the country, just as honking big mortgages are a good thing
to them (Gee! Look at how much home I can afford! Uh, oh...well,
almost!)
I just paid $16.26 for a 22lb bag of Iams mini-chunks for my 2 gurlz and it
will last 2 months.
Is that with or without the melamine additive to boost the apparent
protein?
Post by Don
Why am I not seeing a problem here?
Can't tell from here.
Post by Don
I could have bought the same bag at the mom & pop down the road for $19.95,
but I was already going to the Menards right next to the Walmart for more
pressure treated lumber for my project.
And what would that $3.50 done for you? Let you retire early?
Post by Don
I'll conservatively estimate that for every unwarranted complaint against
Walmart there are at least 1000 people that shop there regularly.
Right. And for every _warranted_ complaint there are probably a
hundred people that shop there regularly.

You can't have it both ways, Don. Make up your mind. Are you
following or railing against the sheeple. Sheeple LOVE Walmart.
There's a lot to like about the store and a lot to hate. None of
which has been addressed in this thread.
Post by Don
I have never heard a person complain, in person, about Walmart.
Come on over, have a Taddy Porter (if you don't like dark beer, bring
whatever swill you do drink) and I'll complain in person. If you
don't want to travel, DAG of rec.woodworking for a thread on Walmart
within the past year. I'm still having the Taddy Porter whether you
come over or not! ;)
Post by Don
I am only aware of complainers on the web, usenet, and on TV.
Maybe they are all fictitious?
Maybe....not.

Don
2007-06-22 02:53:26 UTC
Post by RicodJour
Post by Don
Post by RicodJour
Now it's a democracy - a popularity contest? Walmart makes Home Depot
look like the poster child for compassion. Junior America has no
nifonging clue what their Super Low Prices! purchases are doing to
them and the country, just as honking big mortgages are a good thing
to them (Gee! Look at how much home I can afford! Uh, oh...well,
almost!)
I just paid $16.26 for a 22lb bag of Iams mini-chunks for my 2 gurlz and it
will last 2 months.
Is that with or without the melamine additive to boost the apparent
protein?
Iams already has 1 strike against it as far as I'm concerned.
If I could find a convenient alternative I'd go for it.
Milkbone dog biscuits are outta here as soon as the current box is empty,
found a homemade recipe online.
Post by Don
I could have bought the same bag at the mom & pop down the road for $19.95,
but I was already going to the Menards right next to the Walmart for more
pressure treated lumber for my project.
And what would that $3.50 done for you? Let you retire early?
It offset the gallon of gas it took to get to Menards.
Here in ruaralville, where everything is a long way off it pays to combine
errands.
Post by RicodJour
Post by Don
I'll conservatively estimate that for every unwarranted complaint against
Walmart there are at least 1000 people that shop there regularly.
Right. And for every _warranted_ complaint there are probably a
hundred people that shop there regularly.
You can't have it both ways, Don. Make up your mind. Are you
following or railing against the sheeple. Sheeple LOVE Walmart.
There's a lot to like about the store and a lot to hate. None of
which has been addressed in this thread.
Neither.
I'm FOR Walmart.
Post by RicodJour
Post by Don
I have never heard a person complain, in person, about Walmart.
Come on over, have a Taddy Porter (if you don't like dark beer, bring
whatever swill you do drink) and I'll complain in person. If you
don't want to travel, DAG of rec.woodworking for a thread on Walmart
within the past year. I'm still having the Taddy Porter whether you
come over or not! ;)
Oh, I could scrounge up a complaint or 2 but whats the point.
Why have 40 cash registers if only 3 are occupied with employees?
But overall I have no problem with the place.
Pat
2007-06-22 03:07:44 UTC
Post by Don
Post by RicodJour
Post by Don
Post by RicodJour
Post by RicodJour
Post by Don
[...]
I grew up in a small town in the Berkshires out on the Mass. border.
Just a gorgeous area. Spent time in the Adirondacks and the Catskills
-- basically all along the Hudson River Valley. Then in college lived
in Albany and Buffalo. So I grew up in small town America.

I am wondering about your conversion. It seems to be going well.
Just out of curiousity, what have you found to be the most
unbelieveable thing about your new place, what is the most wonderful,
what is disapointing, what don't you like, etc. etc.?

Just out of
Don
2007-06-22 12:15:57 UTC
Post by Pat
I am wondering about your conversion. It seems to be going well.
Just out of curiousity, what have you found to be the most
unbelieveable thing about your new place, what is the most wonderful,
what is disapointing, what don't you like, etc. etc.?
Climate.
The climate is constantly changing, almost daily, and thats something that
MUST be dealt with.
The weather people HAVE to be ignored for they haven't the first clue.
You have to pay attention to the skies and the things around you.
In Florida the climate is almost the same day after day.
I know I have to get my porch addition done in a timely manner cause all too
soon it will be too cold to work outside.
When it turns cold, I will start work again on the interior of my
office-garage, + my wife wants to gut the master bath.

Distance.
As I've mentioned, other than small stuff, purchases must be planned for.
Our house is pretty new, 8 years old, but it has no pantry....thats poor
planning.
You have to be able to stock up on food, because stores are so far away.
When we go grocery shopping we take a cooler to hold the frozen/cold stuff
so it won't spoil on the trip back.
We have a decent little vegetable going on and hopefully we can expand on it
in years to come.
Lots of plans for other ways to severe the addiction to commercial food
sources.
We want to consume lower on the vine, and consume less, yet do more.
So much of society is designed around the aquisition and consumption of
food.
We are breaking that morbid circle of entrapment and despair and waste.

Indpendence.
Its a double edged sword.
If you want to be free, from rules, forced safety and have solace you have
to be prepared to do that which no one else can do.
The closest hospital is an hour away so it is imperative to know how to fix
yourself if necessary and small things become irrelevent, such as PT wood
splinters.
You also learn to be careful because medical help is not around the corner.
The neighbors are all very friendly, but they are seldom around.
If you're vehicle won't start, you don't go anywhere, period.
So you have to know basic vehicle mechanics, same with all of the house
functions.
I never realized how tight my network of alliances in Florida was until I no
longer had it.
In FL I could find anything, get anything, learn anything in a phone call or
2.
I know longer have that convenience, though my local network is growing, but
slowly.

Relationship.
The relationship between my wife and I has become much closer.
Before, we were 2 individuals living together, 2 ships in the night if you
will.
We are now more dependent and reliant upon each other.
In FL my brother would be helping me on my porch addition, here, my wife is
my helper.
I can go days without seeing another human, but my wife is here to fill the
void.
I am more in tune with and interested in her life, her businesses, her
recreation.
This is especially true now that our son has moved back to FL.
She said it best, its like her and I are discovering each other all over
again and each of us is a brand new person with shadows of the old.
Now, I am sad that someday soon I will leave this place and she will be
alone.
Everyday I strive to make her life more tolerable, easier, after I am gone.
We make a little joke about it.
Yesterday for example I told her, 'Come here, I wanna show you how to change
the filter in the furnace, so you'll be able to do it after I'm gone'.
I'm going to buy her a 4wd drive vehicle and teach her how to shoot a gun
and alot of other things all people should know how to do.
She's strong but when I am done with her she will be steel, so that my
passing will be a mere blip on the radar screen.
I wrote my own will a few months ago and had it witnesses by the guy across
the road, and she has it in hard copy and digital form.
It is a simple 2 paragraph thing because I have actively eliminated many
encumberances over the past year.
Primarily it is meant to keep the evil state away from the things that are
currently mine but will become hers, to make her continued existence in my
absence less difficult.
All former joint property was in both of our names but now everything is in
her name alone.
The house, all utilities, both vehicles, all required insurances, etc.
For all practical purposes, I am no longer a person, simply a friend to her
and a few other people.
I am not a citizen of this state nor of any state, I no longer exist.

Overall.
Life here in the rural north is an interactive environment, you can't ignore
it and put everything on autopilot.
You have to be proactive, take the bull by the horns and steer it in the
proper direction.
There simply is no other way.
As I told ya'll about being self employed, so is rural life, its all about
*control*.
I have the right to, and demand, control all aspects of the only life I will
ever own.
I will never go back to a chaos civilization, I prefer the organization of
nature.
This is where I belong.
Pat
2007-06-22 13:29:36 UTC
Post by Don
Post by Pat
I am wondering about your conversion. It seems to be going well.
Just out of curiousity, what have you found to be the most
unbelieveable thing about your new place, what is the most wonderful,
what is disapointing, what don't you like, etc. etc.?
Climate.
The climate is constantly changing, almost daily, and thats something that
MUST be dealt with.
The weather people HAVE to be ignored for they haven't the first clue.
"Ya don't have to be a weatherman to know which way the wind blows".
<I didn't look it up, but that's the line, isn't it.>
Post by Don
[...]
So what are you going to prison for this time?
This is where I belong.
++
2007-06-22 04:07:27 UTC
Post by Don
I just paid $16.26 for a 22lb bag of Iams mini-chunks for my 2 gurlz and it
will last 2 months.
Why am I not seeing a problem here?
I could have bought the same bag at the mom & pop down the road for $19.95,
but I was already going to the Menards right next to the Walmart for more
pressure treated lumber for my project.
Multitasking is always good, using the car less always good.
Post by Don
I'll conservatively estimate that for every unwarranted complaint against
Walmart there are at least 1000 people that shop there regularly.
And then there are people like me who worry about outsourcing our
economies to communist countries with less than adequate human rights
records. So, I drive American, buy American and avoid Made in China.
That pretty much counts out Walmart, and yes, I do avoid it. I might
buy, say, if it wasn't made or produced locally, Made in Macedonia
(peaceful people), Made in Romania (working hard to free themselves from
the communist mindset) or Made in Latvia (ditto) these days. It's all
about making and helping the right friends and supporting the expansion
of human and civil rights
Post by Don
I have never heard a person complain, in person, about Walmart.
In Florida, they are as ubiquitous. Can you avoid them. Are there many
other choices? Where I live, there are none except way out in the
boonies, thankfully. Not one in my county!!! .
Post by Don
I am only aware of complainers on the web, usenet, and on TV.
Maybe they are all fictitious?
Not at all. I would have paid the twenty bucks and bought local,
another personal goal, supporting my local....everything. It's easier
to make friends and a personal impact in a village. Thinking locally
should be everyone's goal
Pat
2007-06-22 13:33:08 UTC
Post by Don
I am only aware of complainers on the web, usenet, and on TV.
Maybe they are all fictitious?
Not at all. I would have paid the twenty bucks and bought local,
another personal goal, supporting my local....everything. It's easier
to make friends and a personal impact in a village. Thinking locally
should be everyone's goal
I'm with Don on this one. I bought a gallon of algicide for the pool
at Walmart. Same brand as the pool place carries but half the price.
So why should I pay twice as much at the regionally-owned pool place?

Same with most things: garbage bags are garbage bags. Socks are
socks. Bullets are bullet. Etc. Etc. Rubbermaid makes their
products in the same country, no matter where you buy it.
Don
2007-06-22 15:17:23 UTC
Post by Pat
Post by Don
I am only aware of complainers on the web, usenet, and on TV.
Maybe they are all fictitious?
Not at all. I would have paid the twenty bucks and bought local,
another personal goal, supporting my local....everything. It's easier
to make friends and a personal impact in a village. Thinking locally
should be everyone's goal
I'm with Don on this one. I bought a gallon of algicide for the pool
at Walmart. Same brand as the pool place carries but half the price.
So why should I pay twice as much at the regionally-owned pool place?
Same with most things: garbage bags are garbage bags. Socks are
socks. Bullets are bullet. Etc. Etc. Rubbermaid makes their
products in the same country, no matter where you buy it.
I live in *Brown County* and statewide its known to be more expensive here.
Gas is a nickel more per gallon, etc.
Columbus is 20 some miles to the east, where I get my building supplies, and
thats where I buy my gas and most other stuff too.
Brown County is nothing but mom and pops and they refuse to market
themselves preferring to settle for the hapless soul that runs out of
something and doesn't want to run all the way to Columbus.
Around here you'll never see coupons for stuff or buy one-get one type
deals, they just don't do it.
So as far as I'm concerned, fuk-em.
BTW: I saw the best deal ever the other day in Columbus.
Not necessarily the producy but in the way they were marketing it.
It was sign on the side of a van in the parking lot of a strip center for
Fireworks.
It said: 'Buy 1 Get 5 Free'. LOL
Don
2007-06-22 13:49:12 UTC
Don wrote And then there are people like me who worry about outsourcing
our economies to communist countries with less than adequate human rights
records.
I'm not concerned with other peoples rights, thats their business.
I'm concerned about my own.
If everybody concerned themselves with their own rights, no one would have
time nor the inclination to concern themselves with others.
This would cause a laserbeam focus that the ivory tower would have to
recognize.
As it is though, the media keeps everyone confused and disfocused and
further chaos and harm ensues.
So, I drive American, buy American and avoid Made in China.
We could go down the road that stipulates Ford parts are made in Mexico, and
GE parts are made in Germany, and Volswagens are assembled in Louisiana, but
we both already know this.
Buying American is impossible and much like a dog chasing its short tail.
That pretty much counts out Walmart, and yes, I do avoid it. I might buy,
say, if it wasn't made or produced locally, Made in Macedonia (peaceful
people),
Every last single one of them, even the criminals?
Broad, disjointed, brush.

Post by Don
I have never heard a person complain, in person, about Walmart.
In Florida, they are as ubiquitous. Can you avoid them. Are there many
other choices? Where I live, there are none except way out in the
boonies, thankfully. Not one in my county!!! .
Where I was from In FL it is easy to avoid them.
I went a full 20 years without going into a Walmart and didn't miss a thing.
Florida is after all one giant shopping center.
Post by Don
I am only aware of complainers on the web, usenet, and on TV.
Maybe they are all fictitious?
Not at all. I would have paid the twenty bucks and bought local, another
personal goal, supporting my local....everything. It's easier to make
friends and a personal impact in a village. Thinking locally should be
everyone's goal
For someone that is so against consumerism you certainly seem for
consumerism.
Such as, buying friendhips.
There are only a few places of commerce around here and quickly I became on
a first name basis with the owners and many of their employees.
I can drop in on any of them right now and chew the fat and not buy a thing.
Around here the general focus seems to be on relationships amongst people
rather than people relating to your wallet.
RicodJour
2007-06-22 14:11:02 UTC
Post by Don
I'm not concerned with other peoples rights, thats their business.
I'm concerned about my own.
If everybody concerned themselves with their own rights, no one would have
time nor the inclination to concern themselves with others.
This would cause a laserbeam focus that the ivory tower would have to
recognize.
As it is though, the media keeps everyone confused and disfocused and
further chaos and harm ensues.
Right, blame it on someone or something else other than your actions.
How neo-American of you!

Ever see a team that had tons of individual talent get it's ass beat
by a _team_? It happens all of the time. All teams are not bad. You
would not be as strong without your wife. That's a team, albeit a
small one. The trick is picking the right team. A team does not have
to be composed entirely of superstars, people you agree with all of
the time, or even people you like for it to be effective. It just has
to operate as a cohesive unit against the opponent.

Your idea that a bunch of randomly vibrating molecules can somehow
produce a laser beam is absurd. Focus can only come through coherent
thought and action. Individuals randomly vibrating cannot sustain a
cause or a direction. The focused opponent will choose the most
effective way to diffuse your rabble, something that causes them to
give up the least, and will then use your "satisfaction" against the
others. Since you're only concerned with your rights, as soon as they
satisfy those, you'll shut up. Divide and conquer.

Looking at it another way. We don't always agree on these newsgroups,
but do you think I'd be an asset in helping you achieve your goals
against some opponent(s)? We both know the answer is yes. The way it
works is that I'd help you get what you want, and you'd help me get
what I want. You watch my back and I watch yours. It's that simple.

Don
2007-06-22 15:21:31 UTC
Post by RicodJour
Post by Don
[...]
You and I could joint venture on any specific thing and both of us could
benefit.
But you're not fooling anyone if you claim you are not looking for your own
interests first.
Why?
Because the joint venture will eventually end (death or whatever) and you
and/or I will once again be on our own.
I stand by my assertion that, in spite of what the mainstream or anyone else
says, we are individuals and not a herd no matter how many people pretend to
be so.
++
2007-06-22 20:20:29 UTC
Post by Don
Post by ++
everyone's goal
For someone that is so against consumerism you certainly seem for
consumerism.
Hmm, am I really against comsumerism? I never suggested that. You
would hae to define consumerism and I would have to consider whether or
not....
Post by Don
Such as, buying friendhips.
That is not why you buy locally. It's all about forging lasting
connections and friendships in your community, stopping the practice of
being isolated from your neighbors, extending the concept of
neighborhood, being a part of where you live, inclusive family
orientation, quality control.
Post by Don
There are only a few places of commerce around here and quickly I became on
a first name basis with the owners and many of their employees.
I can drop in on any of them right now and chew the fat and not buy a thing.
Precisely, it's not an economic thing primarily, but should your friends
with whom you chew the fat move to greener pastures or work at Wall Mart
to make a decent living? Eventually, if you do not patronize their
establishments, if they are fairly (not necessarily outsourced
cutthrout) priced, they will not be there when you get around to
dropping in and blessing them with your presence
Post by Don
Around here the general focus seems to be on relationships amongst people
rather than people relating to your wallet.
It's kind of syncretistic between wallet and relating. You need them in
your (plural) village. You are glad to have them in your (plural)
village. They don't take advantage of you outrageously because they,
too, want to stay in THEIR village. It occurs to me that in attemptig
to get this point across, the English language is sometimes inadequate.
Don
2007-06-22 20:50:00 UTC
Post by Don
Around here the general focus seems to be on relationships amongst people
rather than people relating to your wallet.
It's kind of syncretistic between wallet and relating. You need them in
your (plural) village. You are glad to have them in your (plural)
village. They don't take advantage of you outrageously because they, too,
want to stay in THEIR village. It occurs to me that in attemptig to get
this point across, the English language is sometimes inadequate.
Perhaps I am in a unique spot.
Seems that most people that live here do not work here.
The lady 5 houses down the road from us, for example, works at Menards in
Columbus, an hour a way.
In fact, thats where I met here and we chat all the time when I'm out there.
She's invited us by, but as yet we haven't went to her house.
Muff across the road from me works at the Honda plant 60 miles east of here,
etc,, etc.

Perhaps its the way I learned how to do cold calls over the years that
didn't come across as cold calling.
I'm pretty much at ease striking up conversations with complete strangers
about anything and everything that might be on my mind at the moment.
Aquantences today, potential client tomorrow, who knows?

Anyway, I don't consciously do business with people simply because they are
a mom and pop establishment, local, or anything else.
It has to do with MY needs and wants at any given moment.
I want to drink some brews tonight so if I was in Columbus right now (Maybe
I'm leaving Menards - next to Walmart) I would go into the Walmart and buy
it.
But I'm not, I'm sitting here in my office so I will go to the mom and pop
up the road and pay more for it.
Its all about me. heh
Amy Blankenship
2007-06-22 21:15:49 UTC
Post by Don
[...]
So you'll sacrifice your future need/want to converse with these people who
you've come to consider friends to your need of the moment for cheaper/more
convenient goods, knowing that your choice not to shop with them could cause
them to go out of business and not be available to converse with? Sounds
shortsighted to me. But then I have come to accept that we as a country are
very shortsighted.

-Amy
Don
2007-06-22 21:40:33 UTC
Post by Amy Blankenship
Post by Don
Anyway, I don't consciously do business with people simply because they
are a mom and pop establishment, local, or anything else.
It has to do with MY needs and wants at any given moment.
So you'll sacrifice your future need/want to converse with these people
who you've come to consider friends to your need of the moment for
cheaper/more convenient goods, knowing that your choice not to shop with
them could cause them to go out of business and not be available to
converse with? Sounds shortsighted to me. But then I have come to accept
that we as a country are very shortsighted.
I reject your notion that I am responsible for another persons business.
At what point, price-wise, would you NOT do business with the local mom and
pop?
Amy Blankenship
2007-06-22 23:01:22 UTC
Post by Don
Post by Amy Blankenship
Post by Don
Anyway, I don't consciously do business with people simply because they
are a mom and pop establishment, local, or anything else.
It has to do with MY needs and wants at any given moment.
So you'll sacrifice your future need/want to converse with these people
who you've come to consider friends to your need of the moment for
cheaper/more convenient goods, knowing that your choice not to shop with
them could cause them to go out of business and not be available to
converse with? Sounds shortsighted to me. But then I have come to
accept that we as a country are very shortsighted.
I reject your notion that I am responsible for another persons business.
At what point, price-wise, would you NOT do business with the local mom
and pop?
I think what most people reject (you included, apparently), is that they
have the power, the right, and the obligation to shape the world around them
through the decisions they make. It's like saying "I want a garden, but I
refuse to till any soil." If the local community as a whole elects not to
support a given business, that business will close down, even if the
business serves as an asset to the community (for instance, by serving as a
gathering place for people to get together and converse). Part of what you
are paying in terms of extra price is a voluntary "tax" to contribute to the
success of the business because you believe that your community is better
off with it than without it.

The problem with the specific local businesses that we have here is not
price or even quality, but the fact that they do not maintain their
facilities in good condition and that they are many miles apart, so it makes
more sense environmentally to go to town than to drive 10 miles in this
direction, pass the house to go 20 miles the other direction, etc.. We have
made efforts to create a place for business to cluster, but time will tell
whether that will ever come to fruition. If it did happen, you _bet_ I'd be
shopping there rather than going to town, since I could make one short trip
and get several things I need at once. That would more than outweigh an
overall premium over chains/big box of 20%, possibly more, just in gas.
When you add in the hourly cost of my time (plus my husband, since we're
like little Siamese twins), that number could probably go higher than 100%.
However, I recognize that those businesses would not survive here with that
kind of premium, since most people do not make independent consultant rates.

-Amy
++
2007-06-23 00:12:43 UTC
Post by Amy Blankenship
Post by Don
[...]
Beautifully stated, Amy. I just got through negatively reacting to Don
not thinking over the fence to his garden while you put it in terms of
how your life would actually improve in some respects from clustering
services and goods.

It's only incidentally that I think, hey, it would be nice if this
shopping center had a place where everyone could buy sturdy clothing.
Or, wouldn't it be nice if there was a nearby swimming pool? And I
think yours is the kind of thinking that creates farmers' markets. Of
course, there are farmers' markets and there are farmers' markets. The
one near me sells cultivated "wild" mushroom (cepes, porcini, honey
mushrooms), organic meat, coffee from a family Honduras plantation,
craft goat cheeses, various baby veggies and greens at astronomical
prices, and such like (and yeah, I do pop for all these these items)
along with the expected overpriced baked goods and houseplants. But
hey, beats the local chain stores. And it kinda offsets the subway stop
nearby with a taste of country.

I think we all would benefit from thinking proactively about what we
would like to have nearby, what we would like to support, what would
enhance us rather than expecting the world to sell itself to us an
increasingly cheaper product for less and less until those beautiful
quality things we have come to expect are no longer purveyed.
Amy Blankenship
2007-06-23 02:20:29 UTC
Post by ++
Post by Amy Blankenship
Post by Don
[...]
Oddly enought, that was our first step. My husband was the market manager
for a year. Unfortunately, the good intentions got overwhelmed by the
feeling of the rest of the association that was formed to implement the
plans the town had that not only did we not have the right to take actions
that might influence the ultimate course of our community, but that somehow
it was immoral to do so. Yes, from the people who volunteer to make it
happen. So things sort of stalled.
Post by ++
Of course, there are farmers' markets and there are farmers' markets. The
one near me sells cultivated "wild" mushroom (cepes, porcini, honey
mushrooms), organic meat, coffee from a family Honduras plantation, craft
goat cheeses, various baby veggies and greens at astronomical prices, and
such like (and yeah, I do pop for all these these items) along with the
expected overpriced baked goods and houseplants. But hey, beats the local
chain stores. And it kinda offsets the subway stop nearby with a taste of
country.
Those things might seem overpriced, unless you've ever tried to make enough
in one day to make a living from.
Amen.
Don
2007-06-23 02:27:45 UTC
Post by Amy Blankenship
Post by Don
Post by Amy Blankenship
Post by Don
[...]
Very well, 20%.
For me its flexible but just yesterday it was 50%.
I needed 8 lag bolts.
I could have went to Menards and got them for $2.14 each.
But I bought them downtown for $3.50 each.
I didn't do that to *support* the owner, but because I didn't want to spend
1-1/2 hours driving just to save $10.88.
Besides, it would have cost me $6 for gas.
RicodJour
2007-06-22 23:17:22 UTC
Post by Don
Post by Amy Blankenship
Post by Don
Anyway, I don't consciously do business with people simply because they
are a mom and pop establishment, local, or anything else.
It has to do with MY needs and wants at any given moment.
Don, do YOU really think that it is necessary for YOU to capitalize
"MY"? Seems to me that the capitalization is implied any time you
talk about yourself. :)~
Post by Don
Post by Amy Blankenship
So you'll sacrifice your future need/want to converse with these people
who you've come to consider friends to your need of the moment for
cheaper/more convenient goods, knowing that your choice not to shop with
them could cause them to go out of business and not be available to
converse with? Sounds shortsighted to me. But then I have come to accept
that we as a country are very shortsighted.
I reject your notion that I am responsible for another persons business.
Hey, don't think about reality and it'll go away, right? You are
responsible for a part of anyone's business you give business to.
That is obvious. You are also responsible for taking your business
away and giving it to someone else. That is obvious. You can be
shortsighted if you choose, that is your right and that is obvious.
Just as obvious is that you ignore other things you are responsible
for.

Did you ever bother to DAG to locate that thread in rec.woodworking
about Walmart? I don't particularly feel like rehashing it at the
moment. Walmart's business practices cost you money. They add to
your tax burden. A mom and pop store does not.

The intangibles often outweigh the tangibles. The convenience you
forwent (is that a word?) when you moved - the ability to pick up a
phone and have an answer in a call or two - is an intangible. Your
time is money - not a lot of money, but still money. =:O

If it now takes you an hour to track something down, add your going
rate to the purchase price, or however you value your free time (for
me it's ~3 x billable as I much prefer my free time), and recalculate
your savings.

I have a plethora of people that I can rely on to do me a favor. Many
of them I know only through business. If I call a supplier - one I
have a long relationship with - and say I have an emergency and I need
the stuff delivered _now_, can you help me?, they will. What's that
worth?

I return some of those favors by not dickering over pennies, by not
asking for too many favors (Conservation of Favors is at least as
important as any of those stupid laws Newton spewed) and by trying to
be as pleasant and loyal customer as possible.

That's how my world works. Pretty simple.

++
2007-06-23 00:18:47 UTC
Post by RicodJour
Hey, don't think about reality and it'll go away, right? You are
responsible for a part of anyone's business you give business to.
That is obvious. You are also responsible for taking your business
away and giving it to someone else. That is obvious. You can be
shortsighted if you choose, that is your right and that is obvious.
Just as obvious is that you ignore other things you are responsible
for.
Did you ever bother to DAG to locate that thread in rec.woodworking
about Walmart? I don't particularly feel like rehashing it at the
moment. Walmart's business practices cost you money. They add to
your tax burden. A mom and pop store does not.
I'd be interested in a link to that thread, if you know it.
Post by RicodJour
[...]
Conservation of Favors, a great way of putting the art of reciprocity.
One analog of reciprocity being that by occasionally using and not
wasting favors and paying them back, it keeps your community going. It
humanizes work to an extent, and it helps insure its longevity.
Don
2007-06-23 02:32:56 UTC
Post by ++
Post by RicodJour
Did you ever bother to DAG to locate that thread in rec.woodworking
about Walmart? I don't particularly feel like rehashing it at the
moment. Walmart's business practices cost you money. They add to
your tax burden. A mom and pop store does not.
I'd be interested in a link to that thread, if you know it.
Why bother?
Rico would have you believe that if Walmart closed down every store right
now the gov't would send you a refund.
RicodJour
2007-06-23 05:12:15 UTC
Post by Don
Post by ++
Post by RicodJour
Did you ever bother to DAG to locate that thread in rec.woodworking
about Walmart? I don't particularly feel like rehashing it at the
moment. Walmart's business practices cost you money. They add to
your tax burden. A mom and pop store does not.
I'd be interested in a link to that thread, if you know it.
Why bother?
Rico would have you believe that if Walmart closed down every store right
now the gov't would send you a refund.
Why bother indeed? You've got all of the answers. Unfortunately
they're based on only half of the information. If you discovered
facts that didn't agree with your prejudices...sorry, that's
unfair...with your preconceptions, would you ignore the facts or
modify your viewpoint?

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.woodworking/browse_thread/thread/ce238902645415e6/953a2279caf88255

Spend a couple of minutes skimming the thread and tell me where I got
the facts wrong. There are plenty of people that disagreed with me,
so you can purloin one of their arguments if you don't have one of
your own.

Don
2007-06-23 02:30:09 UTC
Post by RicodJour
Walmart's business practices cost you money. They add to
your tax burden. A mom and pop store does not.
Nope.
There is no correlation between taxes levied and gov't money spent.
You know better than that Rico.
Don't do it again.
++
2007-06-23 02:43:54 UTC
Post by Don
Post by RicodJour
Walmart's business practices cost you money. They add to
your tax burden. A mom and pop store does not.
Nope.
There is no correlation between taxes levied and gov't money spent.
Hmm, subsidized outsourcing of jobs capitol = our tax dollars

Bank loan = not our tax dollars

Job lost to unnecessary outsourcing = loss of income
Don't do it again.
++
2007-06-22 23:56:48 UTC
Post by Don
Post by Amy Blankenship
So you'll sacrifice your future need/want to converse with these people
who you've come to consider friends to your need of the moment for
cheaper/more convenient goods, knowing that your choice not to shop with
them could cause them to go out of business and not be available to
converse with? Sounds shortsighted to me. But then I have come to accept
that we as a country are very shortsighted.
I reject your notion that I am responsible for another persons business.
At what point, price-wise, would you NOT do business with the local mom and
pop?
You ARE partially responsible for your fellow whether you'd like to be
or not. That is part of the dynamic of both functional and
disfunctional communities. As I stated before, there is a synergy
between people in a shared community. One patronizes/sells goods or
services or both the community as part of living in it, and the other
does not abuse prices for whatever goods or services being provided for
the community which s/he also lives in and of which the purveyor is also
a part. There still is an ethic in America (and elsewhere) that there
should be pride in a job well done, a service well rendered, doing the
best one can, etc. etc.

The cheap black dye that went in your lowest bidder shoes may not be
approved by those very people you voted in or hired to care whether or
not that dye gives you a rash while coloring your feet in a rain..
Local , regional, even national accountability gets faint over the miles.

Speaking of architecture, it's amazing that some American firms will
source out their CDs to countries that don't hold their architects
accountable in terms of liability the same way an architect or engineer
would be held accountable in the US. Again, by farming out CDs to
reduce the bottom line on projects that are acquired by bid instead of
local reputation of the firm or designer, the profession itself is
denigrated and holistic thinking about projects diminished to that ever
lowering pedestrian bottom line.

I have a friend who once farmed herself out from the Balkans to Lebanon
where without an architectural license she was doing CDs for a New
England firm for projects she never got to see. In her case, she was a
natural, someone who took the time and trouble to learn arhcitecture on
her own. Of course, back in the Balkans, she is unlikely without going
for a degree from scratch to ever work in the profession again.....Some
people make bucks picking clementines in Spain. Others provide
architectural expertise without a license for firms that do not fall
under US law for liability that is just not their concern.
Don
2007-06-23 02:35:36 UTC
Post by ++
Post by Don
Post by Amy Blankenship
So you'll sacrifice your future need/want to converse with these people
who you've come to consider friends to your need of the moment for
cheaper/more convenient goods, knowing that your choice not to shop with
them could cause them to go out of business and not be available to
converse with? Sounds shortsighted to me. But then I have come to
accept that we as a country are very shortsighted.
I reject your notion that I am responsible for another persons business.
At what point, price-wise, would you NOT do business with the local mom
and pop?
You ARE partially responsible for your fellow
You're trying to blur the distinct line in the sand.
I am not responsible for another persons business.
Further, no one else is responsible for mine.
You can shove all this silly altruist shit right back up your ass, sideways.
Perhaps you should visit www.m-w.com and study the word *responsible*.
++
2007-06-23 02:46:29 UTC
Post by Don
Post by ++
Post by Don
Post by Amy Blankenship
So you'll sacrifice your future need/want to converse with these people
who you've come to consider friends to your need of the moment for
cheaper/more convenient goods, knowing that your choice not to shop with
them could cause them to go out of business and not be available to
converse with? Sounds shortsighted to me. But then I have come to
accept that we as a country are very shortsighted.
I reject your notion that I am responsible for another persons business.
At what point, price-wise, would you NOT do business with the local mom
and pop?
You ARE partially responsible for your fellow
You're trying to blur the distinct line in the sand.
Not at all. The line is not distinct, nor should it be.
Post by Don
I am not responsible for another persons business.
Further, no one else is responsible for mine.
You can shove all this silly altruist shit right back up your ass, sideways.
Thank you for showing yourself to be the...ahem...gentleman you are when
you haven't got a point
Post by Don
Perhaps you should visit www.m-w.com and study the word *responsible*.
I have no idea what that website is, and you have provided me with no
coherent reason why I should click on it.
Don
<blink>
RicodJour
2007-06-23 13:44:10 UTC
Post by Don
Post by ++
Post by Don
Perhaps you should visitwww.m-w.comand study the word *responsible*.
I have no idea what that website is, and you have provided me with no
coherent reason why I should click on it.
<blink>
Well, the guy's instinct is right. If you don't know it, don't trust
who sent it to you, don't click on it.

It's Merriam-Webster's web site - the dictionary people. I use
dictionary.com

Pat
2007-06-23 04:14:59 UTC
Post by Don
Post by ++
Post by Don
Post by Amy Blankenship
[...]
I hate to say it, but I'm with Don on this one. I am not responsible
for some else business just as they are not responsible for mine.

In my line of work, there is near no chance that a local would use my
services. So if I pay more to keep him in business, why should I when
they will never pay more to keep me in business. If anything, locals
would intentionally NOT use me because I am local. It's a small town
thing.

Businesses can compete on 4 things: price, service, quality and
selection: WM is great on price but ain't so good on service.
Quality is generally the same for items they carry -- underwear is
underwear. So it is up to the local businesses to try to compete on
service, quality, and selection. Quality and selection means that the
boutiques will stay in business because WM can't compete on that
level. Service is also possible. As long as the added service,
quality, or selection outweigh the price, the locals can effectively
compete. If they can't, well they deserve to go find another line of
work.

The other thing is that where I live -- and where Don lives -- there
isn't much other choice. Walmart or Kmart -- 6 of one or a half dozen
of the other -- for most items. So in that case, WM is a blessing.
In my town, shopping consists of 2 grocery stores, a hardware store,
and two parts stores. that's it, except gas and tax free cigarettes.
There are no local businesses to support.
RicodJour
2007-06-23 04:55:11 UTC
Post by Pat
I hate to say it, but I'm with Don on this one. I am not responsible
for some else business just as they are not responsible for mine.
If you buy something at a store, you are giving them money. You are
responsible for some of their income. It doesn't mean you _have_ to
give them you business. I'm not sure why you and Don are interpreting
this to mean you have to give anyone your business, since no one has
said that.

I choose not to use Walmart because I do not like their business
practices. I think they are an amazing company which has
revolutionized retailing, but it takes more than that to butter my
biscuit.
Post by Pat
In my line of work, there is near no chance that a local would use my
services. So if I pay more to keep him in business, why should I when
they will never pay more to keep me in business. If anything, locals
would intentionally NOT use me because I am local. It's a small town
thing.
I don't know what you do, Pat, and I have no clue why someone local
wouldn't use your services - whatever they may be. Maybe you should
lose the slicked back hair and big glasses...? Loading Image...

Don
2007-06-23 12:15:21 UTC
Post by RicodJour
Post by Pat
I hate to say it, but I'm with Don on this one. I am not responsible
for some else business just as they are not responsible for mine.
If you buy something at a store, you are giving them money. You are
responsible for some of their income.
FULL STOP

Knock it off Rico.
You just attemted to do what Richard did.
Giving a business owner MONEY is in no way the same as being RESPONSIBLE,
and you know it.

What the fuk is it with you 2?
Face the issue straight on or leave it the hell alone.
sheesh...........
Don
2007-06-23 12:12:23 UTC
Post by Pat
Post by Don
Post by ++
Post by Don
Post by Amy Blankenship
[...]
The honus is on the business owner to *attract customers* to him.
A customer isn't obligated to purchase anything at all.
These folks that are claiming otherwise are disingenuous.
I'll refraim from calling them out and out liars and attribute their

**Here's an example of why Amy's assumption will fail:
Suppose I start a business and do NOT install a sign, do NOT advertise and
do NOT in anyway let anyone know that I have created a business.
How then is anyone else responsible for conducting business with me?
If my business fails is that the fault of everyone else?

The success or failure of any business is based upon the actions of the
owner, period.

Her assumption is just plain silly.
RicodJour
2007-06-23 13:46:11 UTC
Post by Don
The honus is on the business owner to *attract customers* to him.
With a comment like that you're making a total Wagner out of
yourself. ;)

Amy Blankenship
2007-06-23 13:52:24 UTC
Post by Pat
Post by Don
Post by ++
Post by Don
Post by Amy Blankenship
[...]
Am I my brother's keeper?

You're right. If you don't like or value your local business, you have no
responsibility to do what you can to see to it they're around long term.
And even if you do like and value them, if you're of the opinion that your
actions don't have consequences or that your own short term best interests
outweigh your long term best interests or the long term interests of your
community, then again you have no such responsibility.

The only people who have such a responsibility are those who have made the
decision that they will try to make personal choices in a way that, to the
extent it has an impact on the world, results in a world that is closer to
what they would like the world to be.
Post by Pat
In my line of work, there is near no chance that a local would use my
services. So if I pay more to keep him in business, why should I when
they will never pay more to keep me in business. If anything, locals
would intentionally NOT use me because I am local. It's a small town
thing.
Yeah that wonderful community you are so proud of. I don't do business with
locals because, frankly, if local people were to want my services they
couldn't pay my rate. I'm priced by what my services can get on the
international market.
Post by Pat
Businesses can compete on 4 things: price, service, quality and
selection: WM is great on price but ain't so good on service.
Quality is generally the same for items they carry -- underwear is
underwear. So it is up to the local businesses to try to compete on
service, quality, and selection. Quality and selection means that the
boutiques will stay in business because WM can't compete on that
level. Service is also possible. As long as the added service,
quality, or selection outweigh the price, the locals can effectively
compete. If they can't, well they deserve to go find another line of
work.
Many consumers look at other factors, such as what are the environmental and
economic consequences of shopping at Store A versus Store B. You have made
it clear that those are not one of those consumers, but consumers like that
are on the increase.
Post by Pat
The other thing is that where I live -- and where Don lives -- there
isn't much other choice. Walmart or Kmart -- 6 of one or a half dozen
of the other -- for most items. So in that case, WM is a blessing.
To a certain extent. But you have to ask yourself if there wouldn't be more
small businesses if it weren't for Wal-Mart and K-Mart.
Post by Pat
In my town, shopping consists of 2 grocery stores, a hardware store,
and two parts stores. that's it, except gas and tax free cigarettes.
There are no local businesses to support.
That sounds like 5 local businesses. But possibly you'd have some closer
stores that sell more of the things you now travel for if the big box stores
weren't there. So those stores being there could be costing you a lot of
gas money you wouldn't have to pay otherwise.

JMO;

Amy

Pat
2007-06-21 14:37:27 UTC
Post by William
Post by William
Post by Michael Bulatovich
Post by Pat
From the Buffalo News
http://www.buffalonews.com/home/story/102610.html
Just remember this when the next developer makes a pot full of money on
another projects somewhere else.
The Henslow's sparrow
Stopping the white ghetto, one development at a time.
We don't need any more housing development. By this rate in the near
future there
will be no rural envionment. It will just be all developed land.
Recently in Hastings,MN a Wal*Mart was built. Great right? Now they
can do all there one stop shopping. Hasting,MN is a very rural area
with many old farm houses, or was. Every time I go past Hastings I see
more and more concrete, asphalt and Model Town houses and less and
less farmland. Think this is a good thing?
Yes. You know, it isn't the people in rural areas who tend to
complain about Walmarts. It is the people in urban/suburban areas who
complain about what Walmart does to the rural areas.

Secondly, great observation about the development around Walmarts. As
you note, they are VERY good neighbors for smart retailers who go out
of their way to locate NEAR a Walmart and very bad for retails who try
to get away from the Walmart or who don't react to the 800 lb
gorilla. Used to it's advantage, a nearby Walmart is a wonderful draw
to get people into your store.
William
2007-06-21 14:49:53 UTC
Post by Pat
Post by William
Post by William
Post by Michael Bulatovich
Post by Pat
From the Buffalo News
[...]
I hate urban sprawl. It makes every fricken place look the same, work
the same.
Theres no more family own businees, its all chain reasturants and
strip malls. You want this
country to be reduced to a bunch of mass produced houses and strip
malls? You realize by agreeing with urban sprawl your saying you
want to end rural America right? You know all those hills and valleys
you like looking at? Once urban sprawl effects your town and those
things are history.
Say goodbye to nature everybody. Wal*Marts in town.
William
2007-06-21 15:07:37 UTC
So Pat your saying you want your town to look in maybe a smaller scale
of this? Loading Image...
Pat
2007-06-21 15:20:44 UTC
Post by William
So Pat your saying you want your town to look in maybe a smaller scale
of this?http://blog.kir.com/archives/urban%20sprawl.jpg
Actually, that is what our mayor and planner want. Can you send them
the plans???

They want to develop an 800 acre tracts, that is a bowl on the top of
a "mountain" and build "upscale" homes there. Personally, I think
their idea is ludicrous, but that's their plan and they're spending
lots of money on it.

Then they want to develop a 300 acre flat piece that is next to the
casino. They want commercial development there, but it will require
an expressway exit for access. I'm not sure that will happen either,
it's only about a mile from another exit in each direction.

It's not about people or shopping or anything that would factor into
your equations. It's is a desparate attempt to increase tax base.

As for me, I think there's a demand for new housing because of the
casino, but I think smaller scale ideas are better -- things like 20
to 30 units. We're building 32 units on about 2.5 acres and leaving
about 5 acres untouched. I think that's about right.
William
2007-06-21 15:30:34 UTC
Post by Pat
Post by William
[...]
So when you say you hate the suburbs, your really saying
you like and your glad thats what your towns turning into? Hmm
intresting.
William
intresting.
William
2007-06-21 15:36:21 UTC
Post by Pat
Post by William
[...]
you like them and your glad your town is trying its hardest to become
one? Hmm intresting.
Ken S. Tucker
2007-06-21 15:28:35 UTC
Post by William
Post by Pat
Post by William
Post by William
Post by Michael Bulatovich
Post by Pat
From the Buffalo News
[...]
I agree a lot with what William says, we were in
this area...
http://www.ourgreenbelt.ca/

BUT: It benefits homeowners in toronto at the expense
of new buyers. When it was 1st established it drove up
the price of homes, and spawned apartment buildings
bigtime, we called them human filing cabinets. Instead
of young families having affordable starter homes with
half decent yards, they were shoved into vertical ghetto's,
with attendant social problems.

One idea I liked was to have satellite cities linked by
quality high speed trains threw green belts.
Instead toronto sunk into a squalid state, it's pretty
much dead now, with lot's of sprawl and pollution.

A lot of Green Belt is used for horses and cattle, which
means gazzilions of flys, mosquitos, black flies etc.,
so that's not exactly a pristene solution either.
Ken
Edgar
2007-06-21 16:45:38 UTC
Post by Ken S. Tucker
Post by William
Post by Pat
Post by William
Post by William
Post by Michael Bulatovich
Post by Pat
From the Buffalo News
[...]
I've always liked that idea as well, but in order to do that, I'd imagine
you'd either have to build up or build smaller. Combine that with solar
wind power in some of the green belt areas, and a magnetic type rail system
and it sounds really nice. I was thinking again today, I wonder how much
power we would get if we put solar panels on every roof of every home in
this country. Maybe I'll head over to alt.puzzles and turn it into a riddle
for them to solve, heheh.
--
Edgar
Pat
2007-06-21 15:42:34 UTC
Post by William
Post by Pat
Post by William
Post by William
Post by Michael Bulatovich
Post by Pat
From the Buffalo News
[...]
Willy, I think you need to live in a rural area to know what you're
talking about. Don just moved to a rural area and I think that he's
confirm that it's not what he expected. You can't imaging it.

First off, no one around here gives a darn about "family owned"
stores. Ownership isn't really relevant. Many "chains" are locally
owned -- just franchised -- and people care more about price, quality,
and service than ownership. Second off, having everything near the
Walmart might actually be good for the envirnoment because it keeps
trips shorter, give you better selection, etc. Let me give you an
example. A week ago I was looking for a thing for a phone. I was in
Olean, about 20 miles away, and went to Walmart for other things.
They didn't have it. Okay, so I walked across the plaza to Radio
Shack. They didn't carry it either (not even en the catalogue).
Okay, time for Amazon or Ebay. The interesting thing is that the
"local" Radio Shack is 20 miles away. But there's also a Radio Shack
in the town I live in. It's about 3 miles away (in the opposite
direction). I don't go past it very often. So for me, this Radio
Shack about 20 miles away is "closer" than the one in town. This is
typical of Walmart. They help the nearby businesses at the expense of
the businesses 15 to 30 miles away. BTW, both Radio Shacks are owned
by the same person.

Third off, here's the Walmart about 30 miles north of me.
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=springville,+ny&ie=UTF8&ll=42.500722,-78.692665&spn=0.002666,0.00721&t=h&z=17&om=1
What sprawl are you talking about? The commercial strip is a result
of the expressway coming to an end just north of there. It isn't
because of the Walmart.

Finally, why do you hate rural people so much? What is wrong with
giving them a better place to shop, more selection, and better
prices? Don't rural folks deserve that? Rural folks have brains,
too. If they didn't like/want Walmart, they'd shop somewhere else.
There is one noticable difference between rural folks and other folks,
and I think Don will attest to it. There is quite a bit less
conspicuous consumption. People don't buy just to buy. Timex is
okay. Rollex isn't needed. It is often VERY hard to tell a rural
millionaire from anyone else. Wealth isn't flaunted. The richest
person I know, who is a millionaire several times over, has never
owned a new car. He drives used pickups. Welcome to the sticks.
William
2007-06-21 17:10:07 UTC
Post by Pat
Post by William
Post by Pat
Post by William
Post by William
Post by Michael Bulatovich
Post by Pat
From the Buffalo News
[...]
Then whats the difference between a rural town thats been or being
developed and
a suburb?
Pat
2007-06-21 18:30:30 UTC
Post by William
Post by Pat
Post by William
Post by Pat
Post by William
Post by William
Post by Michael Bulatovich
Post by Pat
From the Buffalo News
[...]
About 50,000 people.

Say you want to grow out housing stock by 10% over the next 10 years.
That's about 20 to 25 homes per year -- not exactly a boom.

We expect about 60 apartments in the next 2 years to be built. That
will bring our housing count back up to about the 1985 level. From
1990 to 2000, we lost an average of 1 house every 2 months as well as
1 person every 6 weeks. But things are swinging back and with a
little luck we MIGHT get back to 1990 levels in the near future.
That's the difference.
William
2007-06-21 18:42:55 UTC
Post by Pat
Post by William
Post by Pat
Post by William
Post by Pat
Post by William
[...]
Also I might add, small towns are self sufficient. Suburbs are not.
Thus the *Sub*Urban.
I think I am able to say this, Bigger cites develope within
themselves, small towns and suburbs
sprawl outward.
Pat
2007-06-21 18:47:55 UTC
Post by William
Post by Pat
Post by William
Post by Pat
Post by William
Post by Pat
Post by William
[...]
Usually I can look at your post and decifer what you are saying. For
this one, I am feeling like the caveman in the Geico commercial. Huh?
Don
2007-06-21 21:03:37 UTC
Post by William
Also I might add, small towns are self sufficient.
Somehow you've become convinced that Walmart creates sprawl.
But thats not true, it the other way around.
You won't find a Walmart out in the middle of nowhere as it would be
unproductive and vacant.
You will find Walmart where there are already a bunch of people and
businesses.
You have noticed this, haven't you?
William
2007-06-21 17:16:51 UTC
Post by Pat
Post by William
Post by Pat
Post by William
Post by William
Post by Michael Bulatovich
Post by Pat
From the Buffalo News
[...]
Anyways, Its fine if you want an easier way to shot, but does every
open space of land *have*
to be developed?
Pat
2007-06-21 18:24:04 UTC
Post by William
Post by Pat
Post by William
Post by Pat
Post by William
Post by William
Post by Michael Bulatovich
Post by Pat
From the Buffalo News
[...]
No. Build the Walmart and tear down the all-but-abandoned downtowns
and you'd almost have an even swap. No one wants to live or shop
downtown anyway. Walmart is the NEW downtown.

No go look at the link of the community I live in. It ain't like
there ain't land around here. In another post, Don said the nearest
one to him is 45 miles. What do you think is between Don and
Walmart. It isn't 45 miles of development. Know what you call a 45
mile trip around here: a 30 minute drive (okay, maybe 40 minutes).

You need to stop looking at things from your big-city perspective.
Rural America is quite different.
Don
2007-06-21 20:54:21 UTC
Post by Pat
No. Build the Walmart and tear down the all-but-abandoned downtowns
and you'd almost have an even swap. No one wants to live or shop
downtown anyway. Walmart is the NEW downtown.
No go look at the link of the community I live in. It ain't like
there ain't land around here. In another post, Don said the nearest
one to him is 45 miles. What do you think is between Don and
Walmart. It isn't 45 miles of development. Know what you call a 45
mile trip around here: a 30 minute drive (okay, maybe 40 minutes).
You need to stop looking at things from your big-city perspective.
Rural America is quite different.
We blew several hundred dollars at Menards and its immediate neighbor
Walmart this morning.
Drove past millions of acres of forest and farmland to get to them.
I don't mind the drive.
Pat
2007-06-22 03:09:16 UTC
Post by Don
Post by Pat
No. Build the Walmart and tear down the all-but-abandoned downtowns
and you'd almost have an even swap. No one wants to live or shop
downtown anyway. Walmart is the NEW downtown.
No go look at the link of the community I live in. It ain't like
there ain't land around here. In another post, Don said the nearest
one to him is 45 miles. What do you think is between Don and
Walmart. It isn't 45 miles of development. Know what you call a 45
mile trip around here: a 30 minute drive (okay, maybe 40 minutes).
You need to stop looking at things from your big-city perspective.
Rural America is quite different.
We blew several hundred dollars at Menards and its immediate neighbor
Walmart this morning.
Drove past millions of acres of forest and farmland to get to them.
I don't mind the drive.
A friend once defined "rural" as a place that you can lay your gun on
the back seat of your car/truck and nobody wonders why you have a gun
in your car/truck.
++
2007-06-22 04:12:46 UTC
Post by Pat
A friend once defined "rural" as a place that you can lay your gun on
the back seat of your car/truck and nobody wonders why you have a gun
in your car/truck.
Nope, rural is where you expect people to be organized enough to have a
gun rack in their vehicles and not leave their God given weapons laying
around on the back seat to bounce around
Ken S. Tucker
2007-06-22 06:30:24 UTC
Post by ++
Post by Pat
A friend once defined "rural" as a place that you can lay your gun on
the back seat of your car/truck and nobody wonders why you have a gun
in your car/truck.
Nope, rural is where you expect people to be organized enough to have a
gun rack in their vehicles and not leave their God given weapons laying
around on the back seat to bounce around
A very dear and old friend of mine owns a few
sections of land, 1 section =640 acres. On
paper he's a millionaire, but money is a tool.
So he needs a new truck, (he farms in Manitoba),
and the cost of getting his new truck delivered
from Oshawa ontario sucks. So he being the
fugal rural fella he is, he jumps in his car, drives
to oshawa, and has his car placed in the dump
truck, then drives that back to Manitoba, that's
common sense.
I think that's the rural attitude Don refer's to,
when he says a Timex is as good as a Rolex,
Rural people are very generous but personally
fugal, and I think they're personally fugal so
they can be generous.
Ken
Don
2007-06-22 13:57:16 UTC
Post by Ken S. Tucker
A very dear and old friend of mine owns a few
sections of land, 1 section =640 acres. On
paper he's a millionaire, but money is a tool.
So he needs a new truck, (he farms in Manitoba),
and the cost of getting his new truck delivered
from Oshawa ontario sucks. So he being the
fugal rural fella he is, he jumps in his car, drives
to oshawa, and has his car placed in the dump
truck, then drives that back to Manitoba, that's
common sense.
I think that's the rural attitude Don refer's to,
when he says a Timex is as good as a Rolex,
Rural people are very generous but personally
fugal, and I think they're personally fugal so
they can be generous.
As you move away from created society you start to realize that much of it
is fabricated and false.
I combine this with the incessant marketing thrown in your face from all the
media sources especially the TV.
Leave those things behind and you can start to focus on things that are
real, not fabricated, and consider what is really important to you.
Unfortunately, you can't do this thing halfway, as you are only fooling
yourself, you have to jump right in cold turkey.

Right now there are 2, count em, TWO pileated wood peckers outside my window
pounding on a dead log.
When was the last time you seen that?
I've never seen 2 at once......
Edgar
2007-06-22 14:31:24 UTC
Post by Don
Post by Ken S. Tucker
[...]
Meh, YOU might see it that way, others, might not. Just because you live in
the city doesn't mean you spend your days concerned with the crap, or that
you are taken in by the fabrications. I would venture to say living rurally
you miss a lot of things. Of course it's a lifestyle choice and not really
a either or proposition. I love camping hiking biking, all the great
outdoors types of things, but at the end of the day I also like
civilization, and all the good and bad that comes with it. I'm not saying
your wrong Don, I'm just saying your not always right either :).
--
Edgar
Pat
2007-06-22 14:50:49 UTC
Post by Edgar
Post by Don
Post by Ken S. Tucker
[...]
Before Don says it, I'll say it: "I don't miss them much".

What exactly am I supposed to "miss"?

Am I supposed to miss the trees? Do I miss the weather? Do I miss
the real sense of community? Do I miss the pace of life? Should I
miss the shopping? Am I missing anything by not living in a "loft"?
Man, I can't figure out what I'm missing.

What YOU are missing, that's another story altogether........

Don
2007-06-22 15:33:01 UTC
Post by Pat
Before Don says it, I'll say it: "I don't miss them much".
What exactly am I supposed to "miss"?
Am I supposed to miss the trees? Do I miss the weather? Do I miss
the real sense of community? Do I miss the pace of life? Should I
miss the shopping? Am I missing anything by not living in a "loft"?
Man, I can't figure out what I'm missing.
What YOU are missing, that's another story altogether........
Almost everyday I marvel at whats going on around me.
Just a few posts ago I mentioned that 2 pileated wood peckers were outside
my window.
Now to city dwellers that seems silly, but I cherish these things.
I wasted so much of my life in the society and I'll never get over it.
Almost everything there is man made, fabricated, fake.

Now that the decking is complete on our back porch, (no railing) if the
weather clears up (its been raining) I'm gonna sit back there tonight, maybe
drink a few, and watch for deers.
There's also a mama raccoon running around back there that has been getting
brazen, maybe I'll spot her too.
About 9pm the lightning bugs will be out in full force and so will the bats.
Almost like clockwork the grey herons will be swooping past westerly and low
and the chipmunks will be scurrying to get their pantries filled before
dark, they're very comical.
All of the birds are teaching their babies the stuff they need to learn
before winter.
These things were missing in Cape Coral and witnessing this stuff in person,
rather than a nature show on PBS is like immersion.........
Don
2007-06-22 15:24:13 UTC
Post by Edgar
Post by Don
Post by Ken S. Tucker
[...]
I can understand that.
But I have been there, remember?, and for me it got old, real old.
People live and die in the cities and that is their choice.
Remember when convience stores used to be convenient? heh
Amy Blankenship
2007-06-22 15:05:10 UTC
Post by Don
As you move away from created society you start to realize that much of it
is fabricated and false.
I combine this with the incessant marketing thrown in your face from all
the media sources especially the TV.
Leave those things behind and you can start to focus on things that are
real, not fabricated, and consider what is really important to you.
Unfortunately, you can't do this thing halfway, as you are only fooling
yourself, you have to jump right in cold turkey.
Right now there are 2, count em, TWO pileated wood peckers outside my
window pounding on a dead log.
When was the last time you seen that?
I've never seen 2 at once......
We get it fairly regularly, though the last time it happened was about
March. I think they've all gone North.
Don
2007-06-22 15:34:46 UTC
Post by Amy Blankenship
Post by Don
As you move away from created society you start to realize that much of
it is fabricated and false.
I combine this with the incessant marketing thrown in your face from all
the media sources especially the TV.
Leave those things behind and you can start to focus on things that are
real, not fabricated, and consider what is really important to you.
Unfortunately, you can't do this thing halfway, as you are only fooling
yourself, you have to jump right in cold turkey.
Right now there are 2, count em, TWO pileated wood peckers outside my
window pounding on a dead log.
When was the last time you seen that?
I've never seen 2 at once......
We get it fairly regularly, though the last time it happened was about
March. I think they've all gone North.
Them and the big ravens are very suspicious.
If they even think they hear or see you they are outta here.
Amy Blankenship
2007-06-22 15:41:19 UTC
Post by Don
Post by Amy Blankenship
Post by Don
As you move away from created society you start to realize that much of
it is fabricated and false.
I combine this with the incessant marketing thrown in your face from all
the media sources especially the TV.
Leave those things behind and you can start to focus on things that are
real, not fabricated, and consider what is really important to you.
Unfortunately, you can't do this thing halfway, as you are only fooling
yourself, you have to jump right in cold turkey.
Right now there are 2, count em, TWO pileated wood peckers outside my
window pounding on a dead log.
When was the last time you seen that?
I've never seen 2 at once......
We get it fairly regularly, though the last time it happened was about
March. I think they've all gone North.
Them and the big ravens are very suspicious.
If they even think they hear or see you they are outta here.
Actually they don't seem so shy here. We have lots of good pictures of
them. Now the little (wood) peckers are hard to get. Herons are really shy
too.
Don
2007-06-22 17:09:33 UTC
Post by Amy Blankenship
Post by Don
Post by Amy Blankenship
Post by Don
[...]
OK, where are you?
I'm in south Indiana.
There are at least 5 varieties of woodpeckers on our property at any given
time and all but the Pilated version are downright friendly.
In fact, earlier this year there was a plethora of Downeys attacking the
windows on my office.
Turns out our birding expert Kris thinks they may have been attacking their
own images reflected in the glass as rivals.
The red headed woodpeckers are really goofy.
They fly in and land right in a group of birds and scatter them left and
right, chattering the whole way. LOL
Amy Blankenship
2007-06-22 19:48:05 UTC
Post by Don
Post by Amy Blankenship
Post by Don
Post by Amy Blankenship
Post by Don
[...]
South MS. I haven't kept records, but it seems to me we only see them
during the cooler weather.
Don
2007-06-22 13:37:58 UTC
Post by Pat
A friend once defined "rural" as a place that you can lay your gun on
the back seat of your car/truck and nobody wonders why you have a gun
in your car/truck.
I see lots of trucks with a rack with a gun and a fishing rod.
Ever ready to aquire some grub or dispatch a ne're do well. heh
Don
2007-06-21 20:51:29 UTC
Post by William
Post by Pat
Post by William
Post by Pat
Post by William
Post by William
Post by Michael Bulatovich
Post by Pat
From the Buffalo News
[...]
I think you're using a very narrow definition of the word develope.
There's lots of land around here that has been developed into fertile
farmland, that was once forest.
Pat
2007-06-22 03:03:39 UTC
Post by Don
Post by William
Post by Pat
Post by William
Post by Pat
Post by William
Post by William
Post by Michael Bulatovich
Post by Pat
From the Buffalo News
[...]
Aren't you in the area that the Indians routinely burned to keep the
trees and brush down, or was that farther to the west?
Don
2007-06-22 11:35:59 UTC
Post by Pat
Aren't you in the area that the Indians routinely burned to keep the
trees and brush down, or was that farther to the west?
Other than the thing about the underground railroad I know very little about
the history of this area.
As far as the land use itself, its about 45% woods, 45% farmland, 9%
residential, 1% commercial.
Seems about right, for me.
Pat
2007-06-22 14:52:14 UTC
Post by Don
Post by Pat
Aren't you in the area that the Indians routinely burned to keep the
trees and brush down, or was that farther to the west?
Other than the thing about the underground railroad I know very little about
the history of this area.
As far as the land use itself, its about 45% woods, 45% farmland, 9%
residential, 1% commercial.
Seems about right, for me.
Damned converts. They are always the biggest zeolots !!!! Don's gone
native.
Don
2007-06-22 15:40:44 UTC
Post by Pat
Post by Don
Post by Pat
Aren't you in the area that the Indians routinely burned to keep the
trees and brush down, or was that farther to the west?
Other than the thing about the underground railroad I know very little about
the history of this area.
As far as the land use itself, its about 45% woods, 45% farmland, 9%
residential, 1% commercial.
Seems about right, for me.
Damned converts. They are always the biggest zeolots !!!! Don's gone
native.
Hey man, I was *victimized* like everyone else for a very long time.
I too bought into the notion that society is capable of filling all your
needs.
But in my core I always new something wasn't quite right.
Usually my epiphanies occur when 2 things hit me from different directions
at the same time.
This move to the country was a result of about 9 things making that
convergence.
I'm gonna start learn how to wear clothes for 2 or more days in a row before
washing them. heh

BTW: I hope my words are not too compelling to the city dwellers, I don't
want anyone moving here and disturbing me.
Ya'll stay where you are! LOL
Amy Blankenship
2007-06-22 16:26:40 UTC
Post by Don
Post by Pat
Post by Don
Post by Pat
[...]
Huh? You already said you think it's great for them to do whatever the heck
they want. For you to want them not to disturb you is expressing exactly
the same wish you criticized William for having.
Don
2007-06-22 17:11:55 UTC
Post by Amy Blankenship
Post by Don
Post by Pat
Post by Don
Post by Pat
[...]
I was jesting Amy.
With zillions of acres and very few people, anybody could move to this
county and I'd never even notice.
SeƱor Popcorn-Coconut
2007-06-22 22:20:09 UTC
Post by Don
I'm gonna start learn how to wear clothes for 2 or more days in a row before
washing them. heh
Barring any external soilings (ie., bird-droppings,
river-cow-wading...), all you really need to change every day are your
sox and undoids. :D
Post by Don
BTW: I hope my words are not too compelling to the city dwellers, I don't
want anyone moving here and disturbing me.
Ya'll stay where you are! LOL
I just got into Halifax, which is smaller than I thought. So far, the
temperature's brisk, but the weather's nice and great for rollerblading.
If I like it enough, I'll stay beyond the summer.
Ken S. Tucker
2007-06-22 22:31:26 UTC
Post by Don
BTW: I hope my words are not too compelling to the city dwellers, I don't
want anyone moving here and disturbing me.
Ya'll stay where you are! LOL
I just got into Halifax, which is smaller than I thought. So far, the
temperature's brisk, but the weather's nice and great for rollerblading.
If I like it enough, I'll stay beyond the summer.
I have a dear friend in Hali, both talented and intelligent,
let me know if you want a contact, he loves Hali.
Ken
RicodJour
2007-06-22 23:00:53 UTC
On Jun 22, 6:31 pm, "Ken S. Tucker" <***@vianet.on.ca> wrote:
{What? Are you channeling Gruhn? Remember the attributions or
there'll be retribution!}
Post by Ken S. Tucker
Post by SeƃĀ±or Popcorn-Coconut
I just got into Halifax, which is smaller than I thought. So far, the
temperature's brisk, but the weather's nice and great for rollerblading.
If I like it enough, I'll stay beyond the summer.
I have a dear friend in Hali, both talented and intelligent,
let me know if you want a contact, he loves Hali.
Wait, your friend is talented and intelligent? Why would they want to
talk to Senor Popo-Nut? =:O

Ken S. Tucker
2007-06-23 00:05:45 UTC
Post by Ken S. Tucker
Post by SeƃĀ±or Popcorn-Coconut
I just got into Halifax, which is smaller than I thought. So far, the
temperature's brisk, but the weather's nice and great for rollerblading.
If I like it enough, I'll stay beyond the summer.
I have a dear friend in Hali, both talented and intelligent,
let me know if you want a contact, he loves Hali.
Wait, your friend is talented and intelligent? Why would they want to
talk to Senor Popo-Nut? =:O
LOL, Mr. Coconut has a sense of humor,
that's the best currency a fella can have!
Ken
Amy Blankenship
2007-06-22 15:31:35 UTC
Post by Pat
Post by William
Post by Pat
Yes. You know, it isn't the people in rural areas who tend to
complain about Walmarts. It is the people in urban/suburban areas who
complain about what Walmart does to the rural areas.
I'd disagree with that, since I live in a rural area, and I know of many
people who object to the thought that Wal-Mart might want to come here.
However, that being said, rural people tend to have a "live and let live"
attitude which says that if Wal-Mart wants to buy a property and the land
owner wants to sell it, then even if everyone believes it will result in the
destruction of the community that the community has no right/obligation to
stand up and object to the transaction.
Post by Pat
Post by William
Post by Pat
Secondly, great observation about the development around Walmarts. As
you note, they are VERY good neighbors for smart retailers who go out
of their way to locate NEAR a Walmart and very bad for retails who try
to get away from the Walmart or who don't react to the 800 lb
gorilla. Used to it's advantage, a nearby Walmart is a wonderful draw
to get people into your store.
A large part of this, though, is because rural retailers tend not to
"cluster." So, you can't go to Store A, Store, B, and Store C without
driving many miles and visiting three widely separated parking lots. I'm
not sure how good Wal-Mart really is for nearby retailers. I've never been
in the women's clothing store next to the Wal-Mart to the south, nor have I
been in the auto parts store next to the one to the North.

I think it also depends on what your local economy is built on and what
future you have in mind for your town. For instance, it is economic suicide
for a tourist area to have a retail economy that consists largely of
Wal-Mart and other chains. Why on _earth_ would you want to take a vacation
in a spot where you see exactly the same sights as you'd see at home? And
people certainly won't view your town as a shopping destination if the best
store available is Target. However, if you have lots of little unique
shops, people _will_ come there just to spend their money.

And I think rural people often want to have _some_ kind of development _now_
so that they don't have to go all the way to town for whatever they
currently travel for now. Even if they do see that long term it will take
their area in a direction that's so unpleasant they expect to have to leave,
they won't object due to the current convenience factor.
Post by Pat
Post by William
I hate urban sprawl. It makes every fricken place look the same, work
the same.
Theres no more family own businees, its all chain reasturants and
strip malls. You want this
country to be reduced to a bunch of mass produced houses and strip
malls? You realize by agreeing with urban sprawl your saying you
want to end rural America right? You know all those hills and valleys
you like looking at? Once urban sprawl effects your town and those
things are history.
Say goodbye to nature everybody. Wal*Marts in town.
Willy, I think you need to live in a rural area to know what you're
talking about. Don just moved to a rural area and I think that he's
confirm that it's not what he expected. You can't imaging it.
I think it's interesting that you claim you support the very things that are
likely to draw the city and suburb dwellers into your community, yet you say
you'd rather they dtay away.
Post by Pat
First off, no one around here gives a darn about "family owned"
stores. Ownership isn't really relevant. Many "chains" are locally
owned -- just franchised -- and people care more about price, quality,
and service than ownership.
And the money that goes into things like their advertising, accounting,
etc., gets spent in some town far away where their headquarters is, rather
than in _your_ town, further weakening your local economy while
strengthening the town where they are located.
Post by Pat
[...]
This could be accomplished in a way that's more healthy to the community by
clustering local businesses together rather than spreading them all over.
We also drive right past the local hardware store on the way to town, since
we're already in the car and we know that probably the stores there probably
will have what we want but the local one might not. But if there were a
local grocery store and a feed store and a small cafe, we probably *would*
stop.
Post by Pat
Third off, here's the Walmart about 30 miles north of me.
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=springville,+ny&ie=UTF8&ll=42.500722,-78.692665&spn=0.002666,0.00721&t=h&z=17&om=1
What sprawl are you talking about? The commercial strip is a result
of the expressway coming to an end just north of there. It isn't
because of the Walmart.
*Sigh* For some reason we've decided that highway interchanges inevitably
must spawn commercial developments. In other countries, they wouldn't think
of such a thing, and driving their highways is much more pleasant.
Post by Pat
Finally, why do you hate rural people so much? What is wrong with
giving them a better place to shop, more selection, and better
prices? Don't rural folks deserve that? Rural folks have brains,
too. If they didn't like/want Walmart, they'd shop somewhere else.
If the building is already there and the parking lot is already there, the
runoff will happen whether people shop there or not. If the Wal-Mart fails
(and many times even if it succeeds), that mammoth building will be
abandoned and left there as a blight on the landscape for decades. I think
rural people deserve to have places that are the best possible long term,
not whatever gets slapped together first and damn the consequences.

-Amy
Don
2007-06-21 20:49:25 UTC
Post by William
Theres no more family own businees, its all chain reasturants and
strip malls.
Not around here.

You want this
Post by William
country to be reduced to a bunch of mass produced houses and strip
malls?
You are all over the map William.
You're talking about Walmart, strip malls, mass produced homes, etc.
Is there nothing about society that you like?
Aren't you the person thats been posting all these pix of cities lately?

Post by William
want to end rural America right? You know all those hills and valleys
you like looking at? Once urban sprawl effects your town and those
things are history.
If that happens here I will pick up my stuff and relocate, if I want to.
It is beyond my capacity to wail about other people using their property.
Post by William
Say goodbye to nature everybody. Wal*Marts in town.
One doesn't automatically eliminate the other.