OT:Beginning and end of time for Microsoft Outlook
Jack May
2007-08-05 04:05:08 UTC
For the curious you might be interested to know that according to Microsoft
Outlook time started on April 1st 1601 and the end of time will be August
29th, 4500. The Cobol programming language used by many financial
institutions also says time starts on April 1st 1601

If you try to put something on the calendar outside those dates, it will not
let you put it on you schedule. This came from the August 4-10 2007 New
Scientist magazine.

Hope this does not interfere with your plans. With a date for the start
and end of time, don't we almost have the start of a religion? :-)
Pat
2007-08-05 19:58:56 UTC
Post by Jack May
For the curious you might be interested to know that according to Microsoft
Outlook time started on April 1st 1601 and the end of time will be August
29th, 4500. The Cobol programming language used by many financial
institutions also says time starts on April 1st 1601
If you try to put something on the calendar outside those dates, it will not
let you put it on you schedule. This came from the August 4-10 2007 New
Scientist magazine.
Hope this does not interfere with your plans. With a date for the start
and end of time, don't we almost have the start of a religion? :-)
1601. That's before my time. I'll have to go ask my mother and see
if she remembers it.

As for 4500, darn it. I have a Time-Share booked for Labor Day
weekend. ... I wonder if I can get my deposit back....
Jack May
2007-08-06 01:36:48 UTC
Post by Pat
Post by Jack May
For the curious you might be interested to know that according to Microsoft
Outlook time started on April 1st 1601 and the end of time will be August
29th, 4500. The Cobol programming language used by many financial
institutions also says time starts on April 1st 1601
If you try to put something on the calendar outside those dates, it will not
let you put it on you schedule. This came from the August 4-10 2007 New
Scientist magazine.
Hope this does not interfere with your plans. With a date for the start
and end of time, don't we almost have the start of a religion? :-)
1601. That's before my time. I'll have to go ask my mother and see
if she remembers it.
As for 4500, darn it. I have a Time-Share booked for Labor Day
weekend. ... I wonder if I can get my deposit back....
The issue of New Scientist where I got the details has a major story on how
one type of neutrino may be able to travel in time. Don't be too hasty
about making schedule changes :-)

Seriously there are only three theories of neutrinos now and three test that
can tell which one is true. The one that is true will apparently give us
the valid theory of everything in 2 to 3 years, We could be living in
interesting times.
Amy Blankenship
Positive electrons also are traveling backwards in time.
Clark F Morris
2007-08-06 19:31:14 UTC
Post by Jack May
For the curious you might be interested to know that according to Microsoft
Outlook time started on April 1st 1601 and the end of time will be August
29th, 4500. The Cobol programming language used by many financial
institutions also says time starts on April 1st 1601
Microsoft Outlook may start it on April 1 but COBOL has day 1 as
January 1 1601. IBM has a standard day 1 on at least the z series of
October 15, 1582, the start of the Gregorian calendar. This is also
known as a Lillian date in recognition of the person who actually came
up with the calendar.
Pat
2007-08-06 21:54:05 UTC
Post by Jack May
For the curious you might be interested to know that according to Microsoft
Outlook time started on April 1st 1601 and the end of time will be August
29th, 4500. The Cobol programming language used by many financial
institutions also says time starts on April 1st 1601
If you try to put something on the calendar outside those dates, it will not
let you put it on you schedule. This came from the August 4-10 2007 New
Scientist magazine.
Hope this does not interfere with your plans. With a date for the start
and end of time, don't we almost have the start of a religion? :-)
Here's a thought for you as you're laying in bed. As the clock is
running down on August 29th, 4500; what's coming next -- after the end
of time?
Jack May
2007-08-07 00:10:49 UTC
Post by Pat
Post by Jack May
For the curious you might be interested to know that according to Microsoft
Outlook time started on April 1st 1601 and the end of time will be August
29th, 4500. The Cobol programming language used by many financial
institutions also says time starts on April 1st 1601
If you try to put something on the calendar outside those dates, it will not
let you put it on you schedule. This came from the August 4-10 2007 New
Scientist magazine.
Hope this does not interfere with your plans. With a date for the start
and end of time, don't we almost have the start of a religion? :-)
Here's a thought for you as you're laying in bed. As the clock is
running down on August 29th, 4500; what's coming next -- after the end
of time?
I will be wondering if the trillions I have accumulated in the stock market
over all those years will roll over to the amount of money a peasant would
have in 1601 since all the financial computers still run an obscure thing
called Cobol that absolutely nobody in the world still knows how to fix.
Pat
2007-08-07 00:24:16 UTC
Post by Jack May
Post by Pat
Post by Jack May
[...]
I learned COBOL in college. I sort of liked it. I guess that makes
me weird, huh?
Jack May
2007-08-07 02:45:36 UTC
Post by Pat
I learned COBOL in college. I sort of liked it. I guess that makes
me weird, huh?
No, I live about a mile from the headquarters of VISA which uses almost
nothing but COBOL.

I have a friend that works there in software. I went to lunch with him one
time in their cafeteria. One of the guys was talking about how strange "C"
is and how it is not worth using.

The COBOL engineers are getting old and starting to retire. My friend in
his 50s has no fear of being laid off.

That means they will need to start new graduates learning to use COBOL in an
obviously complex programming environment.