The loss of culture that is found in modern suburbs.
William
2007-12-04 03:40:23 UTC
My current denouncing of the suburbs in progress.

The loss of culture that is found in modern suburbs.
By WB

- http://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=dfrp7npp_6dwgtmp&hl=en

See what you think.
Jack May
2007-12-04 05:56:48 UTC
Post by William
My current denouncing of the suburbs in progress.
The loss of culture that is found in modern suburbs.
By WB
- http://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=dfrp7npp_6dwgtmp&hl=en
See what you think.
I have to get a Google account to see it. I don't won't a Google account.

Besides the suburbs are the intellectual centers of the world and cities
just attract the homeless.
George Conklin
Google is a waste of time.
William
2007-12-04 22:22:54 UTC
Here we go

Suburbs: newly made model homes, curvy roads,no sidewalks
and no way of getting around besides one's own car.
These are some of the more concrete words that would describe a
typical modern U.S. suburb. A word that would group all these words
together might be "isolation." Not to say that that isolation is a bad
thing itself. It is understandable that some people would just rather
be left alone. Does this mean that suburbs across the U.S. should be
designed like this to preserve isolation? Again, no sidewalks, no
public transportation ,and an extremely inconvenient road system.
Might I add that typical modern suburbs have a few big chain strip
malls. All of these things being able to be built very quickly creates
an identical structure between suburbs across the United States. Urban
sprawl is being quickly and cheaply built across the United States.
Architectural style of modern suburbs is of mass produced identical
structures. This may not seem like such a big ordeal from a 21st
century standpoint, but that is because the idea of mass production
has become so mundane to us. Imagine if Chicago,Ill and New York,NY
started becoming identical, losing character. Imagine if the Green
Mill Jazz club in Chicago was replaced by a Starbucks Coffee. Or if
the row houses in San Francisco were torn down and replaced with a Wal-
Mart with 200 parking spots. Now all of these things are just
buildings in reality. But they play a big roll in character and
culture. To speak bluntly, another reason one speaks against mass
production of replicates of houses is that it looks ugly. Miles and
miles of replicated houses, is that what we want our country to look
like? Diversity is beautiful, not just in relation to race.
Pat
2007-12-05 00:49:15 UTC
Post by William
[...]
The row houses of SF and the browstones of NYC get much of their
beauty from the fact they they are the same as the one next door, with
very slight twists. They were built in their day as being the same
because it was fast and easy and probably cheap. In the city where I
live, most of this area have very similar houses -- they were all
built by the railroads for their workers, so design was a second
thought. Over the last 100 years there has been customization, but
they were built very similar right down to the floor plans.

(changing subjects)

In the multifamily industry, "isolation" sells. The communal
buildings with common lobbies, large hallways, and centeralized
facility have given way to short hallways -- if there are any hallways
at all. Townhouses are all the rage because you never have to
interact with the person next door -- and that's viewed as a good
thing by the people who buy/rent them.

Senior housing is different, but it is designed to force interaction
to avoid isolation of people who aren't going off to work, etc. every
day. Therefore you intentionally do things to get people out of their
apartments to do laundry, check the mail, etc.
George Conklin
2007-12-05 00:56:02 UTC
Post by William
Here we go
Suburbs: newly made model homes, curvy roads,no sidewalks
and no way of getting around besides one's own car.
These are some of the more concrete words that would describe a
typical modern U.S. suburb.
Which is to say, "a lie." People in suburbs have many MORE interactions
than urbanites. For a current study, look at the following link:

http://www.uci.edu/experts/video_news.php?src=brueckner&format=mov&res=high

Stop posting slander.
Pat
2007-12-05 04:08:34 UTC
Post by George Conklin
Post by William
Here we go
Suburbs: newly made model homes, curvy roads,no sidewalks
and no way of getting around besides one's own car.
These are some of the more concrete words that would describe a
typical modern U.S. suburb.
Which is to say, "a lie." People in suburbs have many MORE interactions
http://www.uci.edu/experts/video_news.php?src=brueckner&format=mov&re...
Stop posting slander.
I'm sorry, but I didn't hear what William said. Was he talking to
himself as he typed? Oh, you mean what he wrote? That would be libel
-- not slander -- and I have quite a few studies that can back that
up.

As for slander and/or libel, just who has he supposedly slandered/
libeled? I can't figure out who's reputation he is supposed to have
harmed.
Jack May
2007-12-05 05:11:18 UTC
Post by William
Here we go
Suburbs: newly made model homes, curvy roads,no sidewalks
and no way of getting around besides one's own car.
These are some of the more concrete words that would describe a
typical modern U.S. suburb. A word that would group all these words
together might be "isolation." Not to say that that isolation is a bad
thing itself. It is understandable that some people would just rather
be left alone. Does this mean that suburbs across the U.S. should be
Since the sophisticated jobs are mainly being created in the suburbs at a
extremely high rate compared to the cities, I guess William has no options
except to be a homeless person in a big city.

People interactions are greatest in the suburbs. I guess William just
wants to be alone as he dies on a street corner some cold night with no help
from anybody and nobody around that even cares if he dies.
William
2007-12-06 01:49:33 UTC
Post by Jack May
Post by William
[...]
Why are you fellas talking about Jobs? I talking about how the suburbs
are built and how they effect people, not what kind of jobs or money
they make.
George Conklin
2007-12-06 14:36:14 UTC
Post by William
Post by Jack May
Post by William
[...]
And what you post is pure crap, William. You have it backwards. Cities do
what you claim suburbs do. Want more people to vote? Try less density.
Want MORE interactions? Try less density. It is all proven, while you post
slander.
Jack May
2007-12-06 17:40:43 UTC
.
Post by William
Why are you fellas talking about Jobs? I talking about how the suburbs
are built and how they effect people, not what kind of jobs or money
they make.
What we do defines society. Also there is a lot more interesting building
going on in the suburbs than the decaying buildings in large cities.

Sounds like you are sensitive because you are unemployed or have a nothing
type job.
George Conklin
2007-12-06 20:10:01 UTC
Post by Jack May
.
Post by William
Why are you fellas talking about Jobs? I talking about how the suburbs
are built and how they effect people, not what kind of jobs or money
they make.
What we do defines society. Also there is a lot more interesting building
going on in the suburbs than the decaying buildings in large cities.
Sounds like you are sensitive because you are unemployed or have a nothing
type job.
What William is posting is simply slander against the suburbs. That may be
where the jobs are, but he seems to be against gainful employment too.
William
2007-12-06 22:43:08 UTC
Post by Jack May
.
Post by William
Why are you fellas talking about Jobs? I talking about how the suburbs
are built and how they effect people, not what kind of jobs or money
they make.
What we do defines society. Also there is a lot more interesting building
going on in the suburbs than the decaying buildings in large cities.
You are quite ignorant. Have you not seen buildings like the trump
tower going up? In my city a European architect just designed an award
winning theater. Loading Image...
Cities are tight because they have history yet they also have sweet
new architecture.

Sounds like you are sensitive because you are unemployed or have a
nothing
Post by Jack May
type job.
Yea, I'm 15. Bet you won't see any 15 year old suburban kids getting
off their 360s and defending their cul-da-sacs and lack of sidewalks.
George Conklin
2007-12-07 01:08:44 UTC
Post by William
Post by Jack May
.
winning theater. http://static.flickr.com/46/177313006_0a388e3f43.jpg
Post by Jack May
type job.
Yea, I'm 15. Bet you won't see any 15 year old suburban kids getting
off their 360s and defending their cul-da-sacs and lack of sidewalks.
Just because you don't fit in does not mean that most kids, when they have
children, do not move right back into what you for some irrational reason,
do not like. If you want involved people, people who vote, participate in
local government, and are involvolved in the community, then you don't look
in cities with sidewalks.
William
Fine, then some day I hope to somehow make an impact to change that.
George Conklin
2007-12-07 10:11:44 UTC
Post by William
Post by William
Post by William
Post by Jack May
.
Post by Jack May
type job.
Yea, I'm 15. Bet you won't see any 15 year old suburban kids getting
off their 360s and defending their cul-da-sacs and lack of sidewalks.
Just because you don't fit in does not mean that most kids, when they have
children, do not move right back into what you for some irrational reason,
do not like. If you want involved people, people who vote, participate in
local government, and are involvolved in the community, then you don't look
in cities with sidewalks.
Fine, then some day I hope to somehow make an impact to change that.
Why do you want to make life worse for most people? I find that pretty
bad. You want to lower voter participation, raise crime levels, reduce
personal security so you can make cities equal to suburbs?
Pat
2007-12-07 14:53:33 UTC
Post by William
Post by William
Post by William
Post by William
Post by Jack May
.
Post by William
Post by William
Post by William
Post by William
Post by William
Post by William
Post by William
Post by William
in cities with sidewalks.
Fine, then some day I hope to somehow make an impact to change that.
Why do you want to make life worse for most people? I find that pretty
bad. You want to lower voter participation, raise crime levels, reduce
personal security so you can make cities equal to suburbs?- Hide quoted text -
For some reason, I'm beginning to think that you two are the same
person, with split personalities that just hate each other and want
out of each other's way.
George Conklin
Your ignorance is showing again.
Pat
2007-12-08 03:31:26 UTC
Post by Jack May
Post by Pat
Post by William
Post by William
Post by William
Post by William
Post by Jack May
.
Post by William
Post by William
Post by William
Post by William
Post by William
Post by William
Post by Jack May
Post by William
they make.
What we do defines society. Also there is a lot more
interesting
Post by Pat
Post by William
Post by William
Post by William
building
Post by Pat
Post by William
Post by William
Post by Pat
Post by William
Post by William
Post by Pat
Post by William
Post by William
Post by William
Post by William
Cities are tight because they have history yet they also have
sweet
Post by Pat
Post by William
Post by William
Post by William
Post by William
new architecture.
Sounds like you are sensitive because you are unemployed or have
Post by Pat
Post by William
Post by William
Post by William
Post by William
nothing
Post by Pat
Post by William
Post by William
Post by Pat
Post by William
Post by William
Post by William
Just because you don't fit in does not mean that most kids, when
they
Post by Pat
Post by William
have
Post by William
Post by William
do not like. If you want involved people, people who vote,
participate
Post by Pat
Post by William
in
Post by William
Post by William
local government, and are involvolved in the community, then you
don't
Post by Pat
Post by William
look
Post by Pat
Post by William
For some reason, I'm beginning to think that you two are the same
person, with split personalities that just hate each other and want
out of each other's way.
Your ignorance is showing again.- Hide quoted text -
Hey, I least I know the difference between libel and slander. That's
better than you.
Amy Blankenship
2007-12-07 15:30:55 UTC
Like in the movie "Identity"... spooky
George Conklin
Stereotypes is all you two know.
William
2007-12-06 03:54:30 UTC
Post by Jack May
Post by William
[...]
Nahh, Urban life is full of unity. Unity taking place in the love of
the city they live in. There are countless groups on facebook for
people who love Minneapolis. This doesn't prove much but it comes from
experince. Two men talking about sports over the fence in a suburb is
no "Great interactions." I don't know who your trying trying to fool
but it can not be me.
George Conklin
You are one poor dumb teenager.
Pat
2007-12-06 14:57:45 UTC
Post by Jack May
Post by William
Post by William
Post by Jack May
from anybody and nobody around that even cares if he dies.
Nahh, Urban life is full of unity. Unity taking place in the love of
the city they live in.
You are one poor dumb teenager.- Hide quoted text -
Spoken like a true teacher :-o
George Conklin
2007-12-06 20:11:07 UTC
Post by Pat
Post by Jack May
Post by William
Post by William
Post by Jack May
from anybody and nobody around that even cares if he dies.
Nahh, Urban life is full of unity. Unity taking place in the love of
the city they live in.
You are one poor dumb teenager.- Hide quoted text -
Spoken like a true teacher :-o
William simply decides he is going to slander how most people live based
on his own personal opinions.
William
Damn Straight.
George Conklin
2007-12-07 01:09:25 UTC
Post by William
Post by William
Post by Pat
Post by Jack May
Post by William
Post by Pat
Post by Jack May
Post by William
Post by Pat
Post by Jack May
Post by William
Post by Pat
Post by Jack May
Post by William
Post by Pat
Post by Jack May
Post by Pat
Post by Jack May
Post by Pat
Post by Jack May
Post by William
Post by Jack May
wants to be alone as he dies on a street corner some cold night with
no
Post by Pat
Post by Jack May
help
Post by William
Post by Jack May
from anybody and nobody around that even cares if he dies.
Nahh, Urban life is full of unity. Unity taking place in the love of
the city they live in.
You are one poor dumb teenager.- Hide quoted text -
Spoken like a true teacher :-o
William simply decides he is going to slander how most people live based
on his own personal opinions.
Damn Straight.
You talk about kids defending their turfs. This is what most people call
gangs.
William
2007-12-07 04:32:11 UTC
Post by William
Post by William
Post by William
Post by Pat
Post by Jack May
Post by William
Post by William
Post by William
Post by Pat
Post by Jack May
Post by William
Post by William
Post by William
Post by Pat
Post by Jack May
Post by William
Post by Pat
Post by Jack May
Post by William
Post by Jack May
Post by William
together might be "isolation." Not to say that that isolation
is a
Post by William
Post by William
bad
Post by Pat
Post by Jack May
Post by William
Post by Pat
Post by Jack May
Post by William
Post by Jack May
Post by William
be left alone. Does this mean that suburbs across the U.S.
should
Post by William
Post by William
be
Post by Pat
Post by Jack May
Post by William
Post by Jack May
Since the sophisticated jobs are mainly being created in the
suburbs
Post by William
Post by William
at
Post by Pat
Post by Jack May
Post by William
Post by Jack May
extremely high rate compared to the cities, I guess William has
no
Post by William
Post by William
Post by Pat
Post by Jack May
options
Post by William
Post by Jack May
except to be a homeless person in a big city.
People interactions are greatest in the suburbs. I guess
William
Post by William
Post by William
just
Post by Pat
Post by Jack May
Post by William
Post by Jack May
wants to be alone as he dies on a street corner some cold night
with
Post by William
Post by William
no
Post by Pat
Post by Jack May
help
Post by William
Post by William
Post by Pat
Post by William
Post by William
on his own personal opinions.
Damn Straight.
You talk about kids defending their turfs. This is what most people call
gangs.
Maybe in uptight white ghetto suburbia land. Here we don't actually
mean it,we just love were we live. New concept for you George?
George Conklin
2007-12-07 10:13:05 UTC
Post by William
Post by William
Post by William
Post by William
Post by Pat
Post by Jack May
Post by William
Post by William
Post by William
Post by Pat
Post by Jack May
Post by William
Post by William
Post by William
Post by Pat
Post by Jack May
Post by William
Post by Pat
Post by Jack May
Post by William
Post by Jack May
Post by William
together might be "isolation." Not to say that that isolation
is a
Post by William
Post by William
bad
Post by Pat
Post by Jack May
Post by William
Post by Pat
Post by Jack May
Post by William
Post by Jack May
Post by William
be left alone. Does this mean that suburbs across the U.S.
should
Post by William
Post by William
be
Post by Pat
Post by Jack May
Post by William
Post by Jack May
Since the sophisticated jobs are mainly being created in the
suburbs
Post by William
Post by William
at
Post by Pat
Post by Jack May
Post by William
Post by Jack May
extremely high rate compared to the cities, I guess William has
no
Post by William
Post by William
Post by Pat
Post by Jack May
options
Post by William
Post by Jack May
except to be a homeless person in a big city.
People interactions are greatest in the suburbs. I guess
William
Post by William
Post by William
just
Post by Pat
Post by Jack May
Post by William
Post by Jack May
wants to be alone as he dies on a street corner some cold night
with
Post by William
Post by William
no
Post by Pat
Post by Jack May
help
Post by William
Post by William
Post by Pat
Post by William
Post by William
on his own personal opinions.
Damn Straight.
You talk about kids defending their turfs. This is what most people call
gangs.
Maybe in uptight white ghetto suburbia land. Here we don't actually
mean it,we just love were we live. New concept for you George?
You can state you are happy, but that is hardly the issue. I find your
drive to lower the quality of life for most people distressing.
William
2007-12-07 13:20:14 UTC
Post by William
Post by William
Post by William
Post by William
Post by William
Post by Pat
Post by Jack May
Post by William
Post by William
Post by William
Post by Pat
Post by Jack May
Post by William
Post by William
Post by William
Post by William
Post by William
Post by Pat
Post by Jack May
Post by William
Post by Jack May
Post by William
typical modern U.S. suburb. A word that would group all
these
Post by William
Post by William
Post by William
Post by William
words
Post by Pat
Post by Jack May
Post by William
Post by Jack May
Post by William
together might be "isolation." Not to say that that
isolation
Post by William
Post by William
is a
Post by William
Post by William
bad
Post by Pat
Post by Jack May
Post by William
Post by Jack May
Post by William
thing itself. It is understandable that some people would
just
Post by William
Post by William
Post by William
Post by William
rather
Post by Pat
Post by Jack May
Post by William
Post by Jack May
Post by William
be left alone. Does this mean that suburbs across the U.S.
should
Post by William
Post by William
be
Post by Pat
Post by Jack May
Post by William
Post by Jack May
Since the sophisticated jobs are mainly being created in the
suburbs
Post by William
Post by William
at
Post by Pat
Post by Jack May
Post by William
Post by Jack May
extremely high rate compared to the cities, I guess William
has
Post by William
Post by William
no
Post by William
Post by William
Post by Pat
Post by Jack May
options
Post by William
Post by Jack May
except to be a homeless person in a big city.
People interactions are greatest in the suburbs. I guess
William
Post by William
Post by William
just
Post by Pat
Post by Jack May
Post by William
Post by Jack May
wants to be alone as he dies on a street corner some cold
night
Post by William
Post by William
with
Post by William
Post by William
no
Post by Pat
Post by Jack May
help
Post by William
Post by Jack May
from anybody and nobody around that even cares if he dies.
Nahh, Urban life is full of unity. Unity taking place in the
love
Post by William
Post by William
of
Post by William
Post by William
Post by Pat
Post by Jack May
Post by William
the city they live in.
You are one poor dumb teenager.- Hide quoted text -
Spoken like a true teacher :-o
William simply decides he is going to slander how most people
live
Post by William
Post by William
based
Post by William
Post by William
gangs.
Maybe in uptight white ghetto suburbia land. Here we don't actually
mean it,we just love were we live. New concept for you George?
You can state you are happy, but that is hardly the issue. I find your
drive to lower the quality of life for most people distressing.
I honestly think I have one of the best quality of life when it comes
to where I live.
Pat
2007-12-07 14:57:17 UTC
Post by William
Post by William
Post by William
Post by William
Post by William
Post by William
Post by Pat
Post by Jack May
Post by William
Post by William
Post by William
Post by Pat
Post by Jack May
Post by William
Post by William
Post by William
Post by William
Post by William
Post by Pat
Post by Jack May
Post by William
Post by Jack May
Post by William
typical modern U.S. suburb. A word that would group all
these
Post by William
Post by William
Post by William
Post by William
words
Post by Pat
Post by Jack May
Post by William
Post by Jack May
Post by William
together might be "isolation." Not to say that that
isolation
Post by William
Post by William
is a
Post by William
Post by William
bad
Post by Pat
Post by Jack May
Post by William
Post by Jack May
Post by William
thing itself. It is understandable that some people would
just
Post by William
Post by William
Post by William
Post by William
rather
Post by Pat
Post by Jack May
Post by William
Post by Jack May
Post by William
be left alone. Does this mean that suburbs across the U.S.
should
Post by William
Post by William
be
Post by Pat
Post by Jack May
Post by William
Post by Jack May
Since the sophisticated jobs are mainly being created in the
suburbs
Post by William
Post by William
at
Post by Pat
Post by Jack May
Post by William
Post by Jack May
extremely high rate compared to the cities, I guess William
has
Post by William
Post by William
no
Post by William
Post by William
Post by Pat
Post by Jack May
options
Post by William
Post by Jack May
except to be a homeless person in a big city.
People interactions are greatest in the suburbs. I guess
William
Post by William
Post by William
just
Post by Pat
Post by Jack May
Post by William
Post by Jack May
wants to be alone as he dies on a street corner some cold
night
Post by William
Post by William
with
Post by William
Post by William
no
Post by Pat
Post by Jack May
help
Post by William
Post by Jack May
from anybody and nobody around that even cares if he dies.
Nahh, Urban life is full of unity. Unity taking place in the
love
Post by William
Post by William
of
Post by William
Post by William
Post by Pat
Post by Jack May
Post by William
the city they live in.
You are one poor dumb teenager.- Hide quoted text -
Spoken like a true teacher :-o
William simply decides he is going to slander how most people
live
Post by William
Post by William
based
Post by William
Post by William
gangs.
Maybe in uptight white ghetto suburbia land. Here we don't actually
mean it,we just love were we live. New concept for you George?
You can state you are happy, but that is hardly the issue. I find your
drive to lower the quality of life for most people distressing.
I honestly think I have one of the best quality of life when it comes
to where I live.- Hide quoted text -
I agree with you. Your quality of like is great and it seems to well
fit your personality, pschy, etc. and I'm glad for you.

But remember, not everyone is like you and no everyone wants what you
want.

I, too, like the area where I live (but I sometimes would like it to
be a bit MORE rural). That's good for me and fits me. But it
wouldn't fit you just like your urban lifestyle doesn't fit me (been
there, done that). So instead of trying to change everyone, why not
just accept (and rejoice in) the diversity of different lifestyles for
different people. You've said that you like the diversity of your
city -- why not extend that to the diversity of your large community?
William
2007-12-07 22:10:38 UTC
Post by Pat
Post by William
Post by William
Post by William
Post by William
Post by William
Post by William
Post by Pat
Post by Jack May
Post by William
Post by William
Post by William
Post by Pat
Post by Jack May
Post by William
Post by William
Post by William
Post by William
Post by William
Post by Pat
Post by Jack May
Post by William
Post by Jack May
Post by William
typical modern U.S. suburb. A word that would group all
these
Post by William
Post by William
Post by William
Post by William
words
Post by Pat
Post by Jack May
Post by William
Post by Jack May
Post by William
together might be "isolation." Not to say that that
isolation
Post by William
Post by William
is a
Post by William
Post by William
bad
Post by Pat
Post by Jack May
Post by William
Post by Jack May
Post by William
thing itself. It is understandable that some people would
just
Post by William
Post by William
Post by William
Post by William
rather
Post by Pat
Post by Jack May
Post by William
Post by Jack May
Post by William
be left alone. Does this mean that suburbs across the U.S.
should
Post by William
Post by William
be
Post by Pat
Post by Jack May
Post by William
Post by Jack May
Since the sophisticated jobs are mainly being created in the
suburbs
Post by William
Post by William
at
Post by Pat
Post by Jack May
Post by William
Post by Jack May
extremely high rate compared to the cities, I guess William
has
Post by William
Post by William
no
Post by William
Post by William
Post by Pat
Post by Jack May
options
Post by William
Post by Jack May
except to be a homeless person in a big city.
People interactions are greatest in the suburbs. I guess
William
Post by William
Post by William
just
Post by Pat
Post by Jack May
Post by William
Post by Jack May
wants to be alone as he dies on a street corner some cold
night
Post by William
Post by William
with
Post by William
Post by William
no
Post by Pat
Post by Jack May
help
Post by William
Post by Jack May
from anybody and nobody around that even cares if he dies.
Nahh, Urban life is full of unity. Unity taking place in the
love
Post by William
Post by William
of
Post by William
Post by William
Post by Pat
Post by Jack May
Post by William
the city they live in.
You are one poor dumb teenager.- Hide quoted text -
Spoken like a true teacher :-o
William simply decides he is going to slander how most people
live
Post by William
Post by William
based
Good point. I'll think about it.
Jack May
2007-12-07 04:19:07 UTC
Post by William
Post by George Conklin
William simply decides he is going to slander how most people live based
on his own personal opinions.
Damn Straight.
Well when you get a car and able to drive, you will see a lot more that will
widen your knowledge of the world. Your opinions will naturally change.
When you go to a University and then to work, then you will get a far wider
understanding from a far greater variety of back grounds of the people
around you.

You may still want to live in a central city, but you will find that can
greatly limits your options in life. You will start to realize there is a
log greatness away from the central cities.
William
2007-12-07 04:45:23 UTC
Post by Jack May
Post by William
Post by George Conklin
William simply decides he is going to slander how most people live based
on his own personal opinions.
Damn Straight.
Well when you get a car and able to drive, you will see a lot more that will
widen your knowledge of the world. Your opinions will naturally change.
When you go to a University and then to work, then you will get a far wider
understanding from a far greater variety of back grounds of the people
around you.
You may still want to live in a central city, but you will find that can
greatly limits your options in life. You will start to realize there is a
log greatness away from the central cities.
Well sure,anything can happen. But at least for now urban culture is
embeded in me. I love Jazz,I love underground hip-hop, I love
downtowns and architecture and I love drawing. I take the light rail
home, transfer to the bus and then walk home. The city is all around
me and I love it. I don't hate people who live in suburbs. I don't
hate suburbs, at least the initial idea. But I do hate how they are
made. I think they can be made much better then they are now.
George Conklin
2007-12-07 10:25:10 UTC
Post by William
Post by Jack May
Post by William
Post by George Conklin
[...]
Just because you like popular music does not mean you have to live in
place X, Y or Z to listen to it. Country music is not city-based either.
There are many people who like singing hymns too, and even go to festivals
where they can sing along with a whole weekend.
Amy Blankenship
Didn't know weekends could sing. Learn something new every week...
George Conklin
You learn nothing from anyone.
Amy Blankenship
People in glass houses...
William
File that under "Most FUBR quotes in history"
George Conklin
2007-12-07 10:14:43 UTC
Post by Jack May
Post by William
Post by George Conklin
William simply decides he is going to slander how most people live based
on his own personal opinions.
Damn Straight.
Well when you get a car and able to drive, you will see a lot more that will
widen your knowledge of the world. Your opinions will naturally change.
When you go to a University and then to work, then you will get a far wider
understanding from a far greater variety of back grounds of the people
around you.
You may still want to live in a central city, but you will find that can
greatly limits your options in life. You will start to realize there is a
log greatness away from the central cities.
Cities centralized for the first part of industrialization because of weak
communications and transportation options. Running wires along railroad
tracks for telegraphs was a nice innovation for 1830. It is just that that
time passed us by and we are not going to go back to the Morse code for
communications anymore.
William
Well sure, but weren't we all at one point?
George Conklin
No.
William
2007-12-07 04:50:10 UTC
Post by William
Post by George Conklin
You are one poor dumb teenager.
Well sure, but weren't we all at one point?
No.
Okay George you must have been one smart, rich teenager then? Never
made any mistakes while you were a teen?
Thats too bad because your teens are when you learn things and gain
experince. I can tell that you missed that part then, seeing as you, a
full grown man, is calling a teenager "dumb".
George Conklin
2007-12-07 10:16:48 UTC
Post by William
Post by William
Post by George Conklin
You are one poor dumb teenager.
Well sure, but weren't we all at one point?
No.
Okay George you must have been one smart, rich teenager then? Never
made any mistakes while you were a teen?
Mistakes? You mean doing my homework and getting into a good college
and treasuring knowledge?
William
2007-12-07 13:27:28 UTC
Post by George Conklin
Post by William
Post by William
Post by George Conklin
You are one poor dumb teenager.
Well sure, but weren't we all at one point?
No.
Okay George you must have been one smart, rich teenager then? Never
made any mistakes while you were a teen?
Mistakes? You mean doing my homework and getting into a good college
and treasuring knowledge?
Thats good that you did your homework and love learning, my school is
big on that. But what about a social life? Thats mainly were people
learn their mistakes.
George Conklin
You have one?
William
2007-12-09 22:16:21 UTC
Hey George what do you think of this picture,
http://flickr.com/photos/***@N05/1554326232/in/pool-outrage/
William
2007-12-10 00:16:39 UTC
Or Pat how about this one.
http://flickr.com/photos/***@N08/1560709486/in/pool-outrage/
George Conklin
2007-12-10 00:48:57 UTC
Post by William
Post by William
Hey George what do you think of this
Or Pat how about this one.
Why don't you post pictures of the half of the counties which are LOSING
population in the USA?
Amy Blankenship
2007-12-10 01:51:19 UTC
Post by George Conklin
Post by William
Post by William
Hey George what do you think of this
Or Pat how about this one.
Why don't you post pictures of the half of the counties which are LOSING
population in the USA?
The thing is, George, that the amount of land under development is
increasing at a faster rate than population is. So even counties that are
losing population may in fact be experiencing active development.
George Conklin
2007-12-10 13:34:48 UTC
Post by Amy Blankenship
Post by George Conklin
Post by William
Post by William
Hey George what do you think of this
Or Pat how about this one.
Why don't you post pictures of the half of the counties which are LOSING
population in the USA?
The thing is, George, that the amount of land under development is
increasing at a faster rate than population is. So even counties that are
losing population may in fact be experiencing active development.
That is only a matter of definitions. If a farmer leaves 400 acres and
moves to a quarter-acre house, that is counted as more land under
development. If someone builds a house on the 400 acres, then that is
counted as development too. It is a dishonest definition.
Pat
2007-12-07 14:59:45 UTC
Post by William
Post by William
Post by George Conklin
You are one poor dumb teenager.
Well sure, but weren't we all at one point?
No.
Okay George you must have been one smart, rich teenager then? Never
made any mistakes while you were a teen?
Thats too bad because your teens are when you learn things and gain
experince. I can tell that you missed that part then, seeing as you, a
full grown man, is calling a teenager "dumb".
George was 45 when he was born. Didn't you know? His mother had a
long, long labor.
George Conklin
Don't you wish you were so well hatched.
Pat
2007-12-08 03:34:40 UTC
Post by George Conklin
Post by Pat
Post by William
Post by William
Post by George Conklin
You are one poor dumb teenager.
Well sure, but weren't we all at one point?
No.
Okay George you must have been one smart, rich teenager then? Never
made any mistakes while you were a teen?
Thats too bad because your teens are when you learn things and gain
experince. I can tell that you missed that part then, seeing as you, a
full grown man, is calling a teenager "dumb".
George was 45 when he was born. Didn't you know? His mother had a
long, long labor.
Don't you wish you were so well hatched.
No. I enjoyed being young. I'm not sure I'd want to go through it
again, but I enjoyed it while it was happening -- mistakes and all.
William
2007-12-08 15:27:31 UTC
Post by George Conklin
Post by Pat
Post by William
Post by William
Post by George Conklin
You are one poor dumb teenager.
Well sure, but weren't we all at one point?
No.
Okay George you must have been one smart, rich teenager then? Never
made any mistakes while you were a teen?
Thats too bad because your teens are when you learn things and gain
experince. I can tell that you missed that part then, seeing as you, a
full grown man, is calling a teenager "dumb".
George was 45 when he was born. Didn't you know? His mother had a
long, long labor.
Don't you wish you were so well hatched.
Well I do, being born into your mid life crisis. Now thats the
life.....
Tadej Brezina
2007-12-05 15:42:35 UTC
Post by Jack May
Post by William
My current denouncing of the suburbs in progress.
The loss of culture that is found in modern suburbs.
By WB
- http://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=dfrp7npp_6dwgtmp&hl=en
See what you think.
I have to get a Google account to see it. I don't won't a Google account.
Besides the suburbs are the intellectual centers of the world and cities
just attract the homeless.
Hahah, Jack, what a great (read nonsensical) statement again.
Do I have the permission to use it as classy sig? ;-)

regards
Tadej
--
"Vergleich es mit einer Pflanze - die wächst auch nur dann gut, wenn du
sie nicht jeden zweiten Tag aus der Erde reißt, um nachzusehen, ob sie
<Martina Diel in d.t.r>
Jack May
2007-12-05 19:33:04 UTC
Post by Tadej Brezina
Post by Jack May
Besides the suburbs are the intellectual centers of the world and cities
just attract the homeless.
Hahah, Jack, what a great (read nonsensical) statement again.
Do I have the permission to use it as classy sig? ;-)
Where the do you think all the advances in technology and medicine are being
made? It is by people predominantly living and working in suburbs. It is
certainly not mainly in the city centers. Wake up and learn what is
happening in the real world.

Silicon Valley is in the suburbs. All most all of the biological,
alternative energy, and green house mitigation is happening in the same
areas in the suburbs. The technology thrusts in the Seattle area are in
their suburbs as well.

NYC? Well that is the center of the stodgy financial institutions
responsible for the sub prime mortgage problems. Of course major research
Universities like Stanford and UC Berkeley are also outside the city centers
like San Francisco.

The number one industry of SF is now tourism. Not exactly an intellectual
center. SF does have a great medical research University but that is about
it.

OK and tell us which city centers are the home of great intellectual work to
advance society and not just being luddite havens to push transportation
back to the 19th Century. Some city centers are home to some centers of
excellence but they are small in number compared to what is happening in the
suburbs.

The economic centers of India and China in cities are mainly replicating
known technology and doing almost nothing that is creative.
George Conklin
2007-12-05 20:31:27 UTC
Post by Jack May
Post by Tadej Brezina
Post by Jack May
[...]
That will come, but city development in India is closely replicating the
historic patterns found in the USA. That crazy economist Krugmann from the
New York Times has commented on that, and stated that it is just plain
horrible. He wants India to look like Manhattan!!!
Tadej Brezina
2007-12-06 11:45:45 UTC
Post by Jack May
Post by Jack May
Post by Jack May
Post by Jack May
suburbs.
The economic centers of India and China in cities are mainly replicating
known technology and doing almost nothing that is creative.
That will come, but city development in India is closely replicating the
historic patterns found in the USA.
Talking about 'historic patterns' in US cities in respect to settlements
is quite remarkable!
Post by Jack May
That crazy economist Krugmann from the
New York Times has commented on that, and stated that it is just plain
horrible. He wants India to look like Manhattan!!!
Probably India should look like India and not like some bad copy of an
already bad model!
Regarding crazyness, what do you call then those American influences
(engineers, planners, political supervisors, entrepreneurs, building
contractors) that are pushing to destroy the most energy-efficient
cities of the world (Asian cities) into a car-clogged Disney-clone?
I would call that crazy, or even better, ruthless.

Regards
Tadej
<Martina Diel in d.t.r>
George Conklin
2007-12-06 14:38:37 UTC
Post by Tadej Brezina
Post by Jack May
Post by Jack May
Post by Jack May
Post by Jack May
[...]
Cities in Asia are already clogged....with things like horse-driven tongas,
not replaced by automotive equivalents. I even had a tonga come get us for
church each Sunday, but I had to walk, because the horse could not handle
all of us.
Jack May
2007-12-06 17:48:18 UTC
Post by Tadej Brezina
Regarding crazyness, what do you call then those American influences
(engineers, planners, political supervisors, entrepreneurs, building
contractors) that are pushing to destroy the most energy-efficient cities
of the world (Asian cities) into a car-clogged Disney-clone?
I would call that crazy, or even better, ruthless.
You really believe in mindless clichés with no proof of their validity.
Cities in the US that emphasize transit have the most congestion which
increase fuel consumption. Cities that have emphasized roads have the least
congestion.

Transit outside of NYC carries so few people that it can have no positive
effect on fuel consumption. Heavy transit vehicle that carry few people
are not efficient.

Get over it. Transit is a major failure that is not even remotely a
solution to transportation problems in the 21st Century
George Conklin
2007-12-06 20:12:47 UTC
Post by Jack May
Post by Tadej Brezina
[...]
Transit buses do not save fuel anyway. Only long-distance buses save fuel.
And NYC uses loss fuel because of small apartments. The Sierra Club is
pusing for common walls, which is to say apartment living for all, except of
course Sierra Club members.
William
2007-12-06 23:20:32 UTC
Post by Jack May
Post by Jack May
congestion.
Transit outside of NYC carries so few people that it can have no positive
effect on fuel consumption. Heavy transit vehicle that carry few people
are not efficient.
Get over it. Transit is a major failure that is not even remotely a
solution to transportation problems in the 21st Century
The only place were that statement is at least valued somewhat is in
the Car obsessed land of America.
You have never been to Europe before, have you? To get anywhere there
you can just take the train. Stop posting slander.
George Conklin
2007-12-07 01:11:02 UTC
Post by Jack May
Post by Jack May
congestion.
Transit outside of NYC carries so few people that it can have no positive
effect on fuel consumption. Heavy transit vehicle that carry few people
are not efficient.
Get over it. Transit is a major failure that is not even remotely a
solution to transportation problems in the 21st Century
The only place were that statement is at least valued somewhat is in
the Car obsessed land of America.

Before that we used horses. If you had been alive in 1900, you would be
complaining about horses and all the horse manure in the streets.

Anywhere? You mean between big cities. Not where people live.
William
2007-12-07 04:33:48 UTC
Post by Jack May
Post by Jack May
Post by Jack May
Post by Jack May
are not efficient.
Get over it. Transit is a major failure that is not even remotely a
solution to transportation problems in the 21st Century
The only place were that statement is at least valued somewhat is in
the Car obsessed land of America.
Before that we used horses. If you had been alive in 1900, you would be
complaining about horses and all the horse manure in the streets.
You have never been to Europe before, have you? To get anywhere there
you can just take the train. Stop posting slander.
Anywhere? You mean between big cities. Not where people live.
Yes George, nobody lives in big cities. Thats like saying nobody goes
to the beach anymore because it's to crowded.
George Conklin
2007-12-07 10:18:58 UTC
Post by Jack May
Post by Jack May
Post by Jack May
Post by Jack May
are not efficient.
Get over it. Transit is a major failure that is not even remotely a
solution to transportation problems in the 21st Century
The only place were that statement is at least valued somewhat is in
the Car obsessed land of America.
Before that we used horses. If you had been alive in 1900, you would be
complaining about horses and all the horse manure in the streets.
You have never been to Europe before, have you? To get anywhere there
you can just take the train. Stop posting slander.
Anywhere? You mean between big cities. Not where people live.
Yes George, nobody lives in big cities. Thats like saying nobody goes
to the beach anymore because it's to crowded.

You think of cities as crowded neighborhoods, even when that is not how
most people live even in big cities, like Paris, for example. Even there 4
out of 5 live in suburban areas. The family I lived with in Paris one
summer was one such family. Their lifestyle was better than mine had been
in New York City because it was less crowded.
William
2007-12-07 13:23:18 UTC
Post by Jack May
Post by Jack May
Post by Jack May
Post by Jack May
Post by Jack May
complaining about horses and all the horse manure in the streets.
You have never been to Europe before, have you? To get anywhere there
you can just take the train. Stop posting slander.
Anywhere? You mean between big cities. Not where people live.
Yes George, nobody lives in big cities. Thats like saying nobody goes
to the beach anymore because it's to crowded.
You think of cities as crowded neighborhoods, even when that is not how
most people live even in big cities, like Paris, for example. Even there 4
out of 5 live in suburban areas. The family I lived with in Paris one
summer was one such family. Their lifestyle was better than mine had been
in New York City because it was less crowded.
A "better life style" is in the eye of the beholder. And of course
more people live in suburbs, theres a heck of a lot more suburbs then
there are cities.
Amy Blankenship
Where would you put suburbs if, as you advocate, there were no cities?
Jack May
2007-12-07 17:06:56 UTC
Post by Amy Blankenship
Post by William
Yes George, nobody lives in big cities. Thats like saying nobody goes
to the beach anymore because it's to crowded.
You think of cities as crowded neighborhoods, even when that is not how
most people live even in big cities, like Paris, for example. Even there 4
out of 5 live in suburban areas. The family I lived with in Paris one
summer was one such family. Their lifestyle was better than mine had been
in New York City because it was less crowded.
Where would you put suburbs if, as you advocate, there were no cities?
City size if fractal in nature. There would always be a range of largest
cities to towns with only a few people. Everything about the measured
characteristics of cities follow the power law statistics of fractals.

It is all a continuous distribution where you can't say what would happened
if you eliminated such and such arbitrary category.
George Conklin
2007-12-07 21:51:12 UTC
Post by Jack May
Post by Jack May
Post by Amy Blankenship
Post by William
4
out of 5 live in suburban areas. The family I lived with in Paris one
summer was one such family. Their lifestyle was better than mine had been
in New York City because it was less crowded.
Where would you put suburbs if, as you advocate, there were no cities?
City size if fractal in nature. There would always be a range of largest
cities to towns with only a few people. Everything about the measured
characteristics of cities follow the power law statistics of fractals.
It is all a continuous distribution where you can't say what would happened
if you eliminated such and such arbitrary category.
Actually traditionally-defined cities are already obsolete, just historic in
nature. People will end up being relatively evenly distributed along the
east coast of the United States, despite dreams of stopping the whole
process and reverting back to a form that focuses on the past.
Pat
2007-12-07 15:00:43 UTC
Post by William
Post by Jack May
Post by Jack May
Post by Jack May
Post by Jack May
are not efficient.
Get over it. Transit is a major failure that is not even remotely a
solution to transportation problems in the 21st Century
The only place were that statement is at least valued somewhat is in
the Car obsessed land of America.
Before that we used horses. If you had been alive in 1900, you would be
complaining about horses and all the horse manure in the streets.
You have never been to Europe before, have you? To get anywhere there
you can just take the train. Stop posting slander.
Anywhere? You mean between big cities. Not where people live.
Yes George, nobody lives in big cities. Thats like saying nobody goes
to the beach anymore because it's to crowded.- Hide quoted text -
I believe the correct quote is "nobody goes to the ballpark anymore
because it's too crowed".
Jack May
2007-12-07 04:39:26 UTC
Post by Jack May
Post by Jack May
congestion.
Transit outside of NYC carries so few people that it can have no positive
effect on fuel consumption. Heavy transit vehicle that carry few people
are not efficient.
Get over it. Transit is a major failure that is not even remotely a
solution to transportation problems in the 21st Century
The only place were that statement is at least valued somewhat is in
the Car obsessed land of America.
You have never been to Europe before, have you? To get anywhere there
you can just take the train. Stop posting slander.

The high 80 percent of the surface travel is done by automobile in Europe.
Transit has been an obsolete technology for over half a century in the US.
There is nothing great about returning to lower standards of the past unless
you are some religious fanatic such as the Muslim fundamentalist. Obviously
you are living with a delusional understanding of reality

Use of cars is not an obsession. It is the result of the natural evolution
of transportation technology resulting in a much better solution for the
needs of most people. Most people don't want to return to the much worse
past which you idolize.

The US is the leader in using cars that are the result of decades of
technology evolution. Europe is 2 or 3 decades behind the US. Third world
economies are even further behind. You are essentially rebelling against
the progressive society of the US and idolizing the more retro culture of
Europe and the far more retro third world.

We are at the start of several decades of major advances of automobile
technology to virtually eliminate accidents and deaths from those accidents.
The technology will also increase the speed of travel and solve a lot of the
congestion problems. Stagnant, obsolete transit will make almost no
advances because it is a dead end that will not attract much research and
development. Companies can't make much money supporting transit
development.

Probably in a couple of decades, transit will become so dangerous compared
to high tech cars that there may be a move to shut down many of the transit
systems.
William
2007-12-07 04:53:03 UTC
Theres a lot of crazy people out there, and your one of them.
Jack May
2007-12-07 17:12:09 UTC
Post by William
"Probably in a couple of decades, transit will become so dangerous compared
to high tech cars that there may be a move to shut down many of the transit
systems."
Theres a lot of crazy people out there, and your one of them.
Too bad that you live in almost total ignorance of how the world works. It
is even worse that a young person wants to live like an old man trying to
relive a past that he never actually lived in.

Although you will probably find out when you try to take a girl on a date
using transit. You will quickly hear girls laughing about you.
Amy Blankenship
My husband and I spent our last anniversary riding the local transit system.
George Conklin
My my, no doubt in the back of the bus too?
Amy Blankenship
2007-12-07 22:05:32 UTC
Post by William
Post by Amy Blankenship
My husband and I spent our last anniversary riding the local transit
system.
My my, no doubt in the back of the bus too?
Well look who reveals himself as a closet racist. My, my, my. I wonder if
your employer knows.
William
George kinda reminds me of Bill O'Rilly.
Pat
2007-12-08 03:38:11 UTC
Post by William
Post by Amy Blankenship
Post by Amy Blankenship
Post by Jack May
using transit. You will quickly hear girls laughing about you.
My husband and I spent our last anniversary riding the local transit
system.
My my, no doubt in the back of the bus too?- Hide quoted text -
I don't think that's what he meant. I think it was more "back seat of
the bus".
Pat
2007-12-08 03:36:10 UTC
On Dec 7, 12:42 pm, "Amy Blankenship"
Post by Jack May
Post by William
"Probably in a couple of decades, transit will become so dangerous compared
to high tech cars that there may be a move to shut down many of the transit
systems."
Theres a lot of crazy people out there, and your one of them.
Too bad that you live in almost total ignorance of how the world works.
It is even worse that a young person wants to live like an old man trying
to relive a past that he never actually lived in.
Although you will probably find out when you try to take a girl on a date
using transit. You will quickly hear girls laughing about you.
My husband and I spent our last anniversary riding the local transit system.- Hide quoted text -
What does that mean, you're now a member of the meter high club?
Amy Blankenship
Do I _look_ like that kind of pervert???
Pat
2007-12-08 18:14:08 UTC
On Dec 7, 11:09 pm, "Amy Blankenship"
Post by Amy Blankenship
Post by Pat
Post by Amy Blankenship
Post by Jack May
Although you will probably find out when you try to take a girl on a date
using transit. You will quickly hear girls laughing about you.
My husband and I spent our last anniversary riding the local transit
system.- Hide quoted text -
What does that mean, you're now a member of the meter high club?
Do I _look_ like that kind of pervert???
I always thought you were a classy, sophisticated lady with a hobby
farm and stately mansion -- plus a foreign boy-toy. How cool is
that !!!

So riding the rail wouldn't exactly be a thrilling night out. I'd
expect something like fine dining, candle, and champaign. So we were
all sort of wondering why you'd opt for cruisin around town in a bus.
Amy Blankenship
2007-12-08 18:29:40 UTC
Post by Amy Blankenship
Post by Pat
Post by Amy Blankenship
Post by Jack May
Although you will probably find out when you try to take a girl on a date
using transit. You will quickly hear girls laughing about you.
My husband and I spent our last anniversary riding the local transit
system.- Hide quoted text -
What does that mean, you're now a member of the meter high club?
Do I _look_ like that kind of pervert???
I always thought you were a classy, sophisticated lady with a hobby
farm and stately mansion -- plus a foreign boy-toy. How cool is
that !!!
Actually, we were going to go for the stateley mansion, until we decided we
were going to move anyway, so we are just fixing up the house on this
property that was already here. We bought this place in foreclosure, so we
should do well out of it, even so.
Post by Pat
So riding the rail wouldn't exactly be a thrilling night out. I'd
expect something like fine dining, candle, and champaign. So we were
all sort of wondering why you'd opt for cruisin around town in a bus.
I wanted to see what the local bus system was like, since I'd never taken
the time out to ride it. We did actually eat at a nice restaurant in an
obscure part of the system, but the busses only run every hour and a half
there, so we wound up rushing since we were nearly finished with our meal
about 10 minutes before the bus was to run...we didn't want to wait another
hour and a half for the next bus!

Needless to say, we think our transit system needs work. But what really
impressed me about it is how many people there were using it to get to work
that otherwise probably wouldn't have been able to work. It seems that our
bus system, crappy as it is, has an important impact on the local economy
and in the lives of those people. We also saw a few people taking the bus
to the liquor store, which may explain why they had to ride the bus ;-).

-Amy
William
2007-12-10 03:21:41 UTC
Post by Amy Blankenship
Post by Pat
Post by Amy Blankenship
Post by Jack May
Although you will probably find out when you try to take a girl on a date
using transit. You will quickly hear girls laughing about you.
My husband and I spent our last anniversary riding the local transit
system.- Hide quoted text -
What does that mean, you're now a member of the meter high club?
Do I _look_ like that kind of pervert???
I always thought you were a classy, sophisticated lady with a hobby
farm and stately mansion -- plus a foreign boy-toy. How cool is
that !!!
So riding the rail wouldn't exactly be a thrilling night out. I'd
expect something like fine dining, candle, and champaign. So we were
all sort of wondering why you'd opt for cruisin around town in a bus.
Oh man Pat crusin around town was my summer man, cept it was on a bike
which makes it way tyter.
RJ
2007-12-08 05:25:44 UTC
Post by Amy Blankenship
My husband and I spent our last anniversary riding the local transit system.
That is so sad. I hope your situation improves to where you can do
something nice next year.
Amy Blankenship
2007-12-07 17:44:27 UTC
Post by Jack May
Post by William
"Probably in a couple of decades, transit will become so dangerous compared
to high tech cars that there may be a move to shut down many of the transit
systems."
Theres a lot of crazy people out there, and your one of them.
Too bad that you live in almost total ignorance of how the world works.
It is even worse that a young person wants to live like an old man trying
to relive a past that he never actually lived in.
Although you will probably find out when you try to take a girl on a date
using transit. You will quickly hear girls laughing about you.
Jack makes a great point, William. It's a great way to screen out people
who are shallow and unable to think of the long-term effects of what they
are doing now.
William
Jack you just got pwnd.
George Conklin
The low speed of transit travel tends to make them seem very safe.
William
Low seed trains? Go to Japan man.
William
And what tends to make them "be" very dangerous then?
Jack May
2007-12-07 17:18:43 UTC
Post by Jack May
Post by William
Post by Jack May
Post by William
Post by William
systems.
The low speed of transit travel tends to make them seem very safe.
And what tends to make them "be" very dangerous then?

Transit kills off a lot of people that are outside the vehicle. The problem
is that train run through densely populated areas at up to 79 MPH with very
long stopping distances. If somebody did that in a car, they would go
to jail.

Transit in cities often goes only a few miles per hour. Even then it runs
over cars and/or kills people because it can not stop fast enough to prevent
hitting people. Cars avoid a lot of accidents because they have a much
shorter stopping distance.
Amy Blankenship
What are the statistics per passenger mile for cars vs. transit?
William
2007-12-08 15:30:11 UTC
Post by William
Post by Jack May
Post by William
Post by Jack May
Post by William
Post by William
systems.
The low speed of transit travel tends to make them seem very safe.
And what tends to make them "be" very dangerous then?
Transit kills off a lot of people that are outside the vehicle. The problem
is that train run through densely populated areas at up to 79 MPH with very
long stopping distances. If somebody did that in a car, they would go
to jail.
Transit in cities often goes only a few miles per hour. Even then it runs
over cars and/or kills people because it can not stop fast enough to prevent
hitting people. Cars avoid a lot of accidents because they have a much
shorter stopping distance.
I guess thats why theres a lot more train crashes then car crashes,
wait no....
Tadej Brezina
2007-12-06 11:38:43 UTC
Post by Jack May
Post by Tadej Brezina
Post by Jack May
Besides the suburbs are the intellectual centers of the world and cities
just attract the homeless.
Hahah, Jack, what a great (read nonsensical) statement again.
Do I have the permission to use it as classy sig? ;-)
Where the do you think all the advances in technology and medicine are being
made? It is by people predominantly living and working in suburbs. It is
certainly not mainly in the city centers. Wake up and learn what is
happening in the real world.
I take that as a yes!
Well thanks for this alarm call, I really must have been living in
another world ...
Post by Jack May
Silicon Valley is in the suburbs. All most all of the biological,
alternative energy, and green house mitigation is happening in the same
areas in the suburbs.
Greenhouse gas mitigation is happening in the suburbs?
Come on, get serious. It's predominantly the suburbical un-structure of
dispersed activity locations with extended motorized transport in
between, that's responsible for the transport's huge waste of energy and
the inherited production of greenhouse gases and pollution

As usually you're trying to relativeze your flat-out statements
(suburbs=intellectual people, city center=homeless people) with some
sporadic examples.
Utterly wrong for the cities I know or have read or researched about.
Although it might be true, that blindlessly car-oriented american
transport and cityplanning has put US-cities under stress due to the
suburb-sea around.

regards
Tadej
<Martina Diel in d.t.r>
George Conklin
2007-12-06 14:39:27 UTC
Post by Tadej Brezina
Post by Jack May
Post by Jack May
Silicon Valley is in the suburbs. All most all of the biological,
alternative energy, and green house mitigation is happening in the same
areas in the suburbs.
Greenhouse gas mitigation is happening in the suburbs?
It does not happen in the cities, except to the degree that the average
apartment in places like NYC is smaller than a single-wide trailer.
r***@yahoo.com
2007-12-08 02:30:28 UTC
Post by William
My current denouncing of the suburbs in progress.
The loss of culture that is found in modern suburbs.
By WB
-http://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=dfrp7npp_6dwgtmp&hl=en
See what you think.
If you are interested in an online movement that is generating
awareness of the too fast world of production housing, you should
check out www.theslowhome.com/blog/outrage. There are also a lot of
examples of good design in regards to housing and design in general.
If you are interested in contributing to change regarding suburbia and
all of its failings check it out. Cheers.
Pat
2007-12-08 03:43:44 UTC
Post by r***@yahoo.com
Post by William
My current denouncing of the suburbs in progress.
The loss of culture that is found in modern suburbs.
By WB
-http://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=dfrp7npp_6dwgtmp&hl=en
See what you think.
If you are interested in an online movement that is generating
awareness of the too fast world of production housing, you should
check outwww.theslowhome.com/blog/outrage. There are also a lot of
examples of good design in regards to housing and design in general.
If you are interested in contributing to change regarding suburbia and
all of its failings check it out. Cheers.
What is it with those flat roofed, butt ugly, boxes you have in your
folio. Ugly. Ugly. Ugly. No way in hell should someone build a
house with a flat roof -- especially an ugly one. They remind me of
really upscale shipping containers.
William
2007-12-10 03:23:42 UTC
Post by r***@yahoo.com
Post by William
My current denouncing of the suburbs in progress.
The loss of culture that is found in modern suburbs.
By WB
-http://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=dfrp7npp_6dwgtmp&hl=en
See what you think.
If you are interested in an online movement that is generating
awareness of the too fast world of production housing, you should
check outwww.theslowhome.com/blog/outrage. There are also a lot of
examples of good design in regards to housing and design in general.
If you are interested in contributing to change regarding suburbia and
all of its failings check it out. Cheers.
www.theslowhome.com/blog/outrage

Forget what I have ever said about the suburbs. This website explains
what I think about them.
Pat
2007-12-10 14:17:45 UTC
Post by r***@yahoo.com
Post by r***@yahoo.com
Post by William
My current denouncing of the suburbs in progress.
The loss of culture that is found in modern suburbs.
By WB
-http://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=dfrp7npp_6dwgtmp&hl=en
See what you think.
If you are interested in an online movement that is generating
awareness of the too fast world of production housing, you should
check outwww.theslowhome.com/blog/outrage. There are also a lot of
examples of good design in regards to housing and design in general.
If you are interested in contributing to change regarding suburbia and
all of its failings check it out. Cheers.
www.theslowhome.com/blog/outrage
Forget what I have ever said about the suburbs. This website explains
what I think about them.- Hide quoted text -
In a perfect world where money doesn't matter, it might be a good
idea. But when you're spending YOUR money, the world changes. You
have to make hard choice like, is it better to stay renting in your
1920s apartment building at 1000 s.f. or buy a 1200 s.f. condo that
looks just like the other 100 in the complex? Or later in life when
you have the wife and 2.5 kids (and of course, the dog); is it better
to buy a 1500 s.f. "custom" house or a 2000 s.f. cookie cutter. It's
a matter of personal choice, but most people will opt for the square
footage.
William
2007-12-10 22:34:52 UTC
Post by Pat
Post by r***@yahoo.com
Post by r***@yahoo.com
Post by William
[...]
Sure, but the thing is Pat the developers are not stopping. It's a
matter of years before your beloved rural life is filled with these
cookie cutter houses. I hope whatever your come back to this is true,
but the fact is urban sprawl has not ended, nor has it slowed down....