Question on Design / Architecture study/schools
s***@gmail.com
2008-10-15 16:58:07 UTC
Question on Home Design / Architecture study/schools

We are in California.

My daughter loves to design homes. She spends a lot of time drawing
homes
and is interested in homes. She enjoys visiting open house events. She
wants to design homes / be an architect or something in that space
involving design and this could include interior design and
landscaping.
She is fascinated with high end homes.

However, she struggles Math. How much of an impact will this have ?
How important is Math for a degree in architecture?
What is best suited for a child with this interest ?

What are the most important strengths that an architecture student
should have ?

We know that she has a strong interest but we are not sure if she has
the academic skills /strengths to get a degree in such a field.

Any input/suggestions/pointers on the above would be highly
appreciated.

PLEASE HELP.

Thanks,
Sue
Tadej Brezina
2008-10-17 16:14:08 UTC
Post by s***@gmail.com
Question on Home Design / Architecture study/schools
We are in California.
My daughter loves to design homes. She spends a lot of time drawing
homes and is interested in homes. She enjoys visiting open house events. She
wants to design homes / be an architect or something in that space
involving design and this could include interior design and
landscaping. She is fascinated with high end homes.
However, she struggles Math. How much of an impact will this have ?
How important is Math for a degree in architecture?
I do not think it is different in the US, architecture is definitely the
study with the least sophisticated mathematical knowledge required among
the technical studies.
At my university the civil engineers always laugh about the math and
mechanics courses of architects. And visit them of course for additional
easy credits ... ;-)

In my country/city architecture is also taught at the academy of art
(university), with probably even less math and mechanics.
Post by s***@gmail.com
What is best suited for a child with this interest ?
What are the most important strengths that an architecture student
should have ?
I guess imagination, orientation and creativity.
Good hand-drawing won't harm either.
Post by s***@gmail.com
We know that she has a strong interest but we are not sure if she has
the academic skills /strengths to get a degree in such a field.
Who knows that definitely before he's finished? ;-)
regards
Tadej
--
"Vergleich es mit einer Pflanze - die wächst auch nur dann gut, wenn du
sie nicht jeden zweiten Tag aus der Erde reißt, um nachzusehen, ob sie
(PC TUW-IVV)
Amy Blankenship
2008-10-17 16:47:44 UTC
Post by Tadej Brezina
Post by s***@gmail.com
[...]
Where I went to college, the art majors had to have more math than the
architecture majors, since Art was in Arts and Sciences and Architecture was
its own show. These days, they've moved them into one department.