The City, Why I love it
Mr.Cool [Defender of Cities]
2007-05-18 22:54:11 UTC
Okay so its time to explain my obssesion with the city.
First of all I bealive I have a few abnormal reasons for why I love
the city. Sure I like it because its big, lots of diversity, many
random cool cafes and things like that sure. I like being in the
center of things too, but I like cites for some reasons why people
would hate them. I like the loud noises, the cars going my, the clesha
jack hammer going off, and
the aggressive driving. Honestly there are few things I dislike about
cities. I love the congestion too, I live for that. I love walking
down sidewalks being tightly packed in with other random strangers. I
love mass transit, packed streets and of course Skyscrapers.
I live for what its fast,high tech, and compex.
Amy Blankenship
Pat, you can relax. This guy is not going to move in next door :-)
Pat
2007-05-19 03:31:02 UTC
On May 18, 7:01 pm, "Amy Blankenship"
Post by Amy Blankenship
Post by Mr.Cool [Defender of Cities]
Okay so its time to explain my obssesion with the city.
First of all I bealive I have a few abnormal reasons for why I love
the city. Sure I like it because its big, lots of diversity, many
random cool cafes and things like that sure. I like being in the
center of things too, but I like cites for some reasons why people
would hate them. I like the loud noises, the cars going my, the clesha
jack hammer going off, and
the aggressive driving. Honestly there are few things I dislike about
cities. I love the congestion too, I live for that. I love walking
down sidewalks being tightly packed in with other random strangers. I
love mass transit, packed streets and of course Skyscrapers.
I live for what its fast,high tech, and compex.
Pat, you can relax. This guy is not going to move in next door :-)
Thank you. I was just thinking "this guy is insane". I'm glad he
likes cities. He can stay there with all of the other weirdos that
like that stuff and leave me alone. I'm good with that. Yesterday
was lacrosse. Today was lacrosse, an away game about 100 miles away
for a high school game -- you don't have that in the city. Tomorrow
is baseball and I think it's down in Pennsylvania. Sunday is soccer.
It just keeps going on but it's great. There's more to do here than I
could ever hope to do so I guess I don't know how I could ever handle
a city..........
Mr.Cool [Defender of Cities]
2007-05-19 14:00:59 UTC
Post by Amy Blankenship
[...]
I can see why you think im crazy, yea I will admit the things I live
about cites are
is Pat's and others deffinition of Hell. But Im unique in that sense
so Im fine with it.
And its not like I don't mind a good camping trip in the wild or a few
days of quietness in a small town. I just
wouldnt want to live in a rural area because its way to quiet and way
to boring and not fast, complex enough for me. Thats just how I am.
Amy Blankenship
2007-05-19 14:15:06 UTC
Post by Amy Blankenship
[...]
My hen hatched out some baby chicks this morning. Now THAT's complex. And
it only took her 20 days. :-)
Pat
2007-05-19 16:45:49 UTC
Post by Amy Blankenship
[...]
That's cool. Good luck with the chicks. I think your definition of
"cute chicks" and Mr. Cool's definition of "cute chicks" are very,
very different.
Mr.Cool [Defender of Cities]
2007-05-19 23:53:50 UTC
Post by Amy Blankenship
[...]
Haha yea. But I couldnt stand it if I lived in a place where no cars,
or people
walked by. Esp because then would have no way of speaking to people
through my chalk art I draw on the sidewalks.
george conklin
That is known as vandalism.
Mr.Cool [Defender of Cities]
2007-05-20 02:22:06 UTC
Post by Amy Blankenship
[...]
Thats a joke right? Or else your the world's biggest prick.
I drew a picture of downtown Mpls and wrote "Love your City"
This is culture. People using art to express themselves with chalk is
not vandalism.
Pat
2007-05-20 02:45:16 UTC
Post by Amy Blankenship
[...]
I wouldn't say that all drawings are necessarily culture, but I agree
-- in general -- that chalk on the sidewalk probably isn't vandalism.
I can think of situations where it would be, but they are a stretch.

Speaking of chalk on the sidewalk, did you see this link I put in
another thread.

http://users.skynet.be/J.Beever/pave.htm

Seems like it's something you'd like.
Mr.Cool [Defender of Cities]
2007-05-20 03:08:01 UTC
Post by Amy Blankenship
[...]
:-)
[...]
Wow some of those are pretty sweet thanks.
George, somthing that makes the city more beautiful and can
just be washed away by a simple little rain shower would be a large
stretch
to be considered a crime.
george conklin
Culture is not valdalism from the lower classes.
Pat
2007-05-20 15:20:07 UTC
Post by Amy Blankenship
[...]
George, I think that damage, permanence and lack of permission are
intrinsic to the definition of vandalism and graffiti.

If I have permission, damage and permance do not constitute vandalism
or graffiti.

If I do no damage, there is not permance and there is not vandalism.
So if I blow on a store window and draw a happy face, I do not believe
that rises to the level of vandalism or graffiti unless I scratch the
glass or something.

If there is no permanence, again there is not vandalism. If I pee in
the snow and write my name, that is not vandalism or graffiti.

I think that very few people would consider a bunch of kids playing
hopskotch as vandals.

Unless you like in the desert where there's no rain to wash away the
chalk and/or the graffiti is offensive, I think very few people would
object to chalk on the sidewalk. It's quite different from
spraypaint on brick.
george conklin
Ok, the rain probably takes care of it.
Mr.Cool [Defender of Cities]
2007-05-20 22:43:23 UTC
Post by george conklin
Post by Pat
On May 18, 7:01 pm, "Amy Blankenship"
Post by Amy Blankenship
in
[...]
George why are your giving up so soon?
Don't you want to send those six year old girls who draw on
sidewalks to jail!
george conklin
Yes, I agree that city parents do not control their children.
Amy Blankenship
2007-05-21 15:41:15 UTC
Post by george conklin
Post by Mr.Cool [Defender of Cities]
George why are your giving up so soon?
Don't you want to send those six year old girls who draw on
sidewalks to jail!
Yes, I agree that city parents do not control their children.
Rampant gangs of out of control little girls, drawing hop scotch grids on
every street corner. They'll be crackheads before they're 10!
Pat
2007-05-21 16:19:53 UTC
On May 21, 11:41 am, "Amy Blankenship"
Post by Amy Blankenship
Post by george conklin
Post by Mr.Cool [Defender of Cities]
George why are your giving up so soon?
Don't you want to send those six year old girls who draw on
sidewalks to jail!
Yes, I agree that city parents do not control their children.
Rampant gangs of out of control little girls, drawing hop scotch grids on
every street corner. They'll be crackheads before they're 10!
... and I know just who to send to arrest them. There's a town in
upstate NY named "Bath", and of course they have a police force, and
of course THEY ARE THE BATH POLICE !!! I have a picture of their car,
somewhere, if anyone wants a copy for a wayward child.
Pat
Amy Blankenship
Durn Bathists. They plague us even here...
Amy Blankenship
2007-05-20 21:59:48 UTC
Post by george conklin
Post by Mr.Cool [Defender of Cities]
Haha yea. But I couldnt stand it if I lived in a place where no cars,
or people
walked by. Esp because then would have no way of speaking to people
through my chalk art I draw on the sidewalks.
That is known as vandalism.
Thats a joke right? Or else your the world's biggest prick.
Culture is not valdalism from the lower classes.
This from the guy who is quick to scream "elitist" when people disagree with
him. To George, only people who can afford cars are eligible to make art.

-Amy
george conklin
Culture with a capital "C" is not on sidewalks.
Pat
2007-05-21 14:55:21 UTC
Post by george conklin
Post by george conklin
Post by Mr.Cool [Defender of Cities]
Haha yea. But I couldnt stand it if I lived in a place where no cars,
or people
walked by. Esp because then would have no way of speaking to people
through my chalk art I draw on the sidewalks.
That is known as vandalism.
Thats a joke right? Or else your the world's biggest prick.
Culture is not valdalism from the lower classes.
This from the guy who is quick to scream "elitist" when people disagree
with him. To George, only people who can afford cars are eligible to make
art.
-Amy
Culture with a capital "C" is not on sidewalks.
Being the resident "artist" in the group ........ okay, maybe not an
artist but at least I'm a member of the local Arts Council, I'm not
sure exactly what the definition of art is. Is an ugly painting more
artful then a well designed faucet? I don't know.

But as for on the sidewalks, I totally disagree. I think "art" and
"culture" can (but normally isn't) on the sidewalk. I can't think of
the name of it, but you have to consider those monk (maybe from Tibet
or somewhere) that take individual grains of sand and make mosiacs.
It's art, but it's also just a bunch of sand on the sidewalk. Then
when they are done, they just sweep it away.

You normally don't find art on the sidewalk, but I suppose it depends
on where you look.
george conklin
2007-05-21 23:43:23 UTC
Post by Pat
Post by george conklin
Post by george conklin
[...]
Traditional Folk Art is different from children making random marks on the
sidewalk.
Mr.Cool [Defender of Cities]
2007-05-22 02:36:38 UTC
Post by george conklin
Post by Pat
Post by george conklin
Post by george conklin
[...]
Haha Oh George, your weakness is when you know you have lost
the argument, you show it all to well. "children making random marks
on the sidewalk." It may not be children that made this but it is
on the sidewalk chalk. http://users.skynet.be/J.Beever/globe.html
And you were saying that drawing on sidewalks is not art? Speaking
to people, trying to get through to the public is not art? Is not
Culture?
If that is not art, then what is it? Just because its not in
some fancy art museum there for makes it just some
random mark on the sidewalk? And regards to vandalism, do you really
think a police officer walking by is going to arrest that man? Wash
away
his *ART* work? And you still have not given me your definition of art
and culture. And just to be office, find me a law where it
specifically
states the ban on drawing on the sidewalk.

Not going to lie George, but you just got your ass handed to you by a
14 year old.

O and by the way maybe if you actually gave a reply back to what I
said instead of "You don't know what you are talking about, as usual."
you would'nt look like such a fool.
george conklin
2007-05-22 11:32:05 UTC
Post by george conklin
Post by Pat
Post by george conklin
Post by george conklin
[...]
I suggest you check out Tonnies differences between gemeinschaft and
gesellschaft.
Mr.Cool [Defender of Cities]
2007-05-22 20:49:29 UTC
Post by george conklin
Post by Pat
Post by george conklin
Post by george conklin
[...]
Yes! The turning point of Mr.Cool's exsistence on the Urban Planning
Google group
has arrived.
Mr.Cool [Defender of Cities]
2007-05-21 21:02:43 UTC
"Culture with a capital "C" is not on sidewalks."-George Conklin
George let me be the first so say you have a shitty idea of what
culture is. Im sorry but I have to speak up
Im getting alittle mad about this. And don't bring in your "Your only
14 what the hell do you know?" crap.
If you don't think people drawing on high traffic sidewalks trying to
speak to public and the people all around
your community then well Im not sure what you do think is cutlure. I
think that your idea of what culture is a clesha
one, one of the fine arts, some great master music piece written by
Bach. Cutlure is going beyond your comfort zone.
Learning about somthing new, having an open mind about somthing that
seems abstract to you.

Culture is diversity my friend, in every sense of the word, and Its
time you recognized that.
george conklin

time you recognized that.
Pat
2007-05-22 01:35:40 UTC
On May 21, 5:02 pm, "Mr.Cool [Defender of Cities]"
Post by Mr.Cool [Defender of Cities]
"Culture with a capital "C" is not on sidewalks."-George Conklin
George let me be the first so say you have a shitty idea of what
culture is. Im sorry but I have to speak up
Im getting alittle mad about this. And don't bring in your "Your only
14 what the hell do you know?" crap.
If you don't think people drawing on high traffic sidewalks trying to
speak to public and the people all around
your community then well Im not sure what you do think is cutlure. I
think that your idea of what culture is a clesha
one, one of the fine arts, some great master music piece written by
Bach. Cutlure is going beyond your comfort zone.
Learning about somthing new, having an open mind about somthing that
seems abstract to you.
Culture is diversity my friend, in every sense of the word, and Its
time you recognized that.
I'm glad you got out of that culture-as-commercialm gig you were into
before with culture is coffee shops and cultuer is night clubs and
culture is stores thing.

Culture is tricky, as is art. How come Andy Warhol and Norman
Rockwell are both art to me, yet are somewhat commercial. Whereas I
can't stand Thomas Kincade and think it is just commerciasm gone
bad. Hmmmmm.
Mr.Cool [Defender of Cities]
2007-05-22 20:51:25 UTC
Post by Pat
[...]
Yes! The turing point of Mr.Cool's exsistence here on Urban Planning
has arrived.

Pat
2007-05-22 02:31:18 UTC
[...]
Been thinking of what "culture" is. Maybe you're right. Culture is
what rich folk buy and when they want you to think that they are
better than you are: ballet, opera, etc.

Of course where I live, it's just a fancy word for yogurt.
Joe the Aroma
2007-05-22 03:15:49 UTC
Post by Mr.Cool [Defender of Cities]
"Culture with a capital "C" is not on sidewalks."-George Conklin
George let me be the first so say you have a shitty idea of what
culture is. Im sorry but I have to speak up
Im getting alittle mad about this. And don't bring in your "Your only
14 what the hell do you know?" crap.
If you don't think people drawing on high traffic sidewalks trying to
speak to public and the people all around
your community then well Im not sure what you do think is cutlure. I
think that your idea of what culture is a clesha
one, one of the fine arts, some great master music piece written by
Bach. Cutlure is going beyond your comfort zone.
Learning about somthing new, having an open mind about somthing that
seems abstract to you.
Culture is diversity my friend, in every sense of the word, and Its
time you recognized that.
Culture is in the eye of the beholder. Only snobs (phonies, mostly) think
otherwise.
george conklin
You won't find the above in most modern cities in the USA.
Mr.Cool [Defender of Cities]
2007-05-18 23:51:49 UTC
Post by george conklin
Post by Mr.Cool [Defender of Cities]
Okay so its time to explain my obssesion with the city.
First of all I bealive I have a few abnormal reasons for why I love
the city. Sure I like it because its big, lots of diversity, many
random cool cafes and things like that sure. I like being in the
center of things too, but I like cites for some reasons why people
would hate them. I like the loud noises, the cars going my, the clesha
jack hammer going off, and
the aggressive driving. Honestly there are few things I dislike about
cities. I love the congestion too, I live for that. I love walking
down sidewalks being tightly packed in with other random strangers. I
love mass transit, packed streets and of course Skyscrapers.
I live for what its fast,high tech, and compex.
You won't find the above in most modern cities in the USA.
Well most places you consider to be "modern Cities' I would most likly
consider suburbs.
george conklin
You always argue in circles.
pigsty1953@yahoo.com
2007-05-19 00:05:28 UTC
Post by george conklin
Post by Mr.Cool [Defender of Cities]
Okay so its time to explain my obssesion with the city.
First of all I bealive I have a few abnormal reasons for why I love
the city. Sure I like it because its big, lots of diversity, many
random cool cafes and things like that sure. I like being in the
center of things too, but I like cites for some reasons why people
would hate them. I like the loud noises, the cars going my, the clesha
jack hammer going off, and
the aggressive driving. Honestly there are few things I dislike about
cities. I love the congestion too, I live for that. I love walking
down sidewalks being tightly packed in with other random strangers. I
love mass transit, packed streets and of course Skyscrapers.
I live for what its fast,high tech, and compex.
You won't find the above in most modern cities in the USA.
Umm, Georgie, you know you are decidedly wrong, as per usual.

Take care, and by all means Georgie, get some help w/your
nearsightedness...
and other problems...

Randy
rotten
2007-05-19 06:00:44 UTC
On May 18, 6:54 pm, "Mr.Cool [Defender of Cities]"
Post by Mr.Cool [Defender of Cities]
Okay so its time to explain my obssesion with the city.
First of all I bealive I have a few abnormal reasons for why I love
the city. Sure I like it because its big, lots of diversity, many
random cool cafes and things like that sure. I like being in the
center of things too, but I like cites for some reasons why people
would hate them. I like the loud noises, the cars going my, the clesha
jack hammer going off, and
the aggressive driving. Honestly there are few things I dislike about
cities. I love the congestion too, I live for that. I love walking
down sidewalks being tightly packed in with other random strangers. I
love mass transit, packed streets and of course Skyscrapers.
I live for what its fast,high tech, and compex.
Most of the things you describe are neat, but get old after a while.
I have seen many die-hard urbanists get tired of the city and move
out into Walmartland.;)